Former Supreme Court Justice: Repeal the Second Amendment

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: Former Supreme Court Justice: Repeal the Second Amendment

Postby Jack's My dog on Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:15 am

Question-Does the fact that people are now calling for repeal, mean they are conceding the Individual right. It seems to me that if the 2nd did not guarantee an individual right, you would not need to repeal it to take away said individual right.
Jack's My dog

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:04 am

Jack's My dog wrote:Question-Does the fact that people are now calling for repeal, mean they are conceding the Individual right. It seems to me that if the 2nd did not guarantee an individual right, you would not need to repeal it to take away said individual right.

I think Stevens begrudgingly admitted it was.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby 2in2out on Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:50 pm

BigBlue wrote:
yukonjasper wrote:Interesting that this came up on Rush Limbaugh today. His theory is that the progressives are tipping their hand to the real end game of the scary black rifle ban. He linked in the assault Marco Rubio has been under and pointed out that Rubio has consented to work with the anti crowd on a compromise and they are still attacking him. His theory is that the Left doesn't want a compromise, they want a total ban - hand in your weapons and they think the teenager marches are giving the cause more momentum than they have ever had before -strike while the iron is hot.

I think I agree with that theory. And at this point they can't take it back. I hope this is the turning point that kills any realistic gun control traction and pushes the country to actually look at root causes (people and society) and cab get folks Worthing together toward a real solution to violent behavior.

This is exactly what I've been thinking. The curtain has been pulled back on their real intentions, and I believe they've miscalculated on how far they can go.

It won't work.

But, the real question is, will this damage their cause enough to set them back a few decades? I don't know the answer to that.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby Lumpy on Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:57 am

Scott Adams (of Dilbert fame) says in latest blog that Stevens just got every gun owner in America to vote Republican:

http://blog.dilbert.com/2018/03/29/epis ... 8-midterms
Lumpy

Postby Lumpy on Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:01 am

jdege wrote:
Ghost wrote:I believe a repeal of the 2nd would cause states to succeeed from the Union and we know how that turned out last time.

I'm not the only person here, I think, who considers the ratification of the Constitution as whole to have been contingent upon the passage of a Bill of Rights. A Repeal of any part of the BoR is tantamount to repealing the entire thing.
Interesting legal theory; I doubt it would derail a legitimately passed Constitutional Amendment but formally making the argument would definitely raise the stakes, perhaps to the Constitutional Convention level.
Lumpy

Postby silvor on Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:18 pm

When some were saying they'd compromise, the one girl from Parkland (the blonde with glasses) stated:

Give us an inch, we'll take a mile.
silvor

Postby jdege on Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:40 pm

Lumpy wrote:
jdege wrote:I'm not the only person here, I think, who considers the ratification of the Constitution as whole to have been contingent upon the passage of a Bill of Rights. A Repeal of any part of the BoR is tantamount to repealing the entire thing.
Interesting legal theory; I doubt it would derail a legitimately passed Constitutional Amendment but formally making the argument would definitely raise the stakes, perhaps to the Constitutional Convention level.

The issue isn't what impact the attitude would have on the repeal, but what would happen after.
jdege

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:57 pm

Ghost wrote:I believe a repeal of the 2nd would cause states to succeeed from the Union and we know how that turned out last time.

Not so good for the constitutionalists if i recall correctly.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:34 am

Holland&Holland wrote:

Not so good for the Democrats
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:14 am

Ghost wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

Not so good for the Democrats

Really, so you think a civil war is your answer?
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:42 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Ghost wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:Not so good for the Democrats

Really, so you think a civil war is your answer?

The odds of a repeal of the 2A are slim to none. My point is if it got to that point yes, I see succession as a viable path. Much like our own history already it would be up to the aggressors to determine if war was the answer.

I can't see it happening in our lifetime. We are much more likely to tangle with Rocketman.
Ghost

Previous

Return to Politics