Skip Humphrey's opinion on carry permit issuance

Firearms related political discussion forum

Skip Humphrey's opinion on carry permit issuance

Postby jdege on Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:41 pm

I vaguely remember being told that one of the critical events in Minnesota's carry permit history was an opinion/letter/advisory from Skip Humphrey - then MN AG - that the requirement to show "need" in the then law have chiefs the authority to deny arbitrarily, without cause.

Does anyone remember the details?

Is the content of the letter available, anywhere?
jdege

Re: Skip Humphrey's opinion on carry permit issuance

Postby bstrawse on Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:23 pm

I've emailed Professor Olson and a couple others to see if they have it.

b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby mrp on Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:02 pm

In case you don't already have it handy, here is an article by Olson that you might want to read through:

The Minnesota Citizen's Personal Protection Act of 2003: History and Commentary
Hamline Journal of Public Law and Policy, Vol. 25, p. 21, 2003

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=2070938

Nothing on Humphrey jumps out skimming the first part. It may, however, point you in the right places to look for more information.

ETA:

And there's this, the source you are almost certainly remembering (because there you are in the comments :)

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/938637/posts

1991 -- REDEFINING DISCRETION

Beginning slowly, Attorney General Skip Humphrey takes the discretion idea statewide.
He lobbies Twin Cities Metro police chiefs to deny permits requested for personal safety.
He encourages out-state cities to do the same, in the name of "state-wide uniformity."
mrp

Postby smurfman on Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:29 am

It looks like my former boss was not credited for a quote back in 1995. At least he was honest enough to not carry himself, even when on the clock.
smurfman

Postby jdege on Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:59 am

mrp wrote:In case you don't already have it handy, here is an article by Olson that you might want to read through:

The Minnesota Citizen's Personal Protection Act of 2003: History and Commentary
Hamline Journal of Public Law and Policy, Vol. 25, p. 21, 2003

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=2070938

Nothing on Humphrey jumps out skimming the first part. It may, however, point you in the right places to look for more information.

ETA:

And there's this, the source you are almost certainly remembering (because there you are in the comments :)

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/938637/posts

1991 -- REDEFINING DISCRETION

Beginning slowly, Attorney General Skip Humphrey takes the discretion idea statewide.
He lobbies Twin Cities Metro police chiefs to deny permits requested for personal safety.
He encourages out-state cities to do the same, in the name of "state-wide uniformity."

Thanks.
jdege

Postby mrp on Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:29 am

bstrawse wrote:I've emailed Professor Olson and a couple others to see if they have it.

b

Any luck?
mrp

Postby bstrawse on Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:02 pm

mrp wrote:
bstrawse wrote:I've emailed Professor Olson and a couple others to see if they have it.

b

Any luck?

Thanks for the bump, I neglected to circle back.

Never found anything in writing, but memories from Joe Olson and David Gross seem to call that Humphrey was running around the state telling everyone his thoughts on permit issuance and asking them to follow his opinion -- but no one recalled anything in writing.

b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby mrp on Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:28 am

bstrawse wrote:
mrp wrote:

b

Any luck?

Thanks for the bump, I neglected to circle back.

Never found anything in writing, but memories from Joe Olson and David Gross seem to call that Humphrey was running around the state telling everyone his thoughts on permit issuance and asking them to follow his opinion -- but no one recalled anything in writing.

b

Thanks for the follow-up.
mrp

Postby jdege on Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:04 am

mrp wrote:Thanks for the follow-up.

Ditto.
jdege

Return to Politics