"The Path Forward on Guns:" a proposal

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: "The Path Forward on Guns:" a proposal

Postby Ghost on Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:19 am

Randygmn wrote:
Ghost wrote:How do you classify bump stocks as machine guns and ban them at the same time? Machine guns are not banned.

Once classified as a machine gun, they become illegal immediately. Because of the Gun Control Act of 1986, no “machine gun” manufactured since can be legally owned by civilians. There is no mechanism to open up the registry to grandfather existing bump stocks without an act of Congress.

As far as the proposal goes, I agree to everything....except items 1,2 and 3 in the “gun control” column. Incrementally, they got NICS checks 19 years ago. Now they are attempting a universal background check without registration. Give it another 19 years and they’ll say that wasn’t effective enough, we need universal registration. Sorry, but I’d rather just fight it out now. Kinetically. Winner takes all, once and for all.

So when they decide any semi auto that fires faster than 2 rounds a minute is now a machine gun what do we do? Bumpstocks are not nor ever will be machine guns. This is one hell of a slippery slope.
Ghost

Postby unfitmother on Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:38 am

I'll post this for anybody who got lost in the echo chamber.

The Path Forward on Guns wrote:For everybody

1. Mass shootings are a media contagion. The press can help stop it with the same anti-copycat guidelines they already use for suicides.

Even amidst the fractal squabbling that poisons this whole debate, there is one idea that nearly everybody agrees on: mass shootings are a media contagion. There’s a large body of research on the subject, and it indicates that saturation media coverage of these horrors likely causes additional mass shootings.

[About 15 papers cited in detail, too long to quote here]

Playing right into the memetic contagion, CNN has been heavily promoting a “fact sheet” it made, which is literally a grotesque mass murder scoreboard. Fox News, the New York Times, Breitbart, MSNBC, take your pick, nearly every big news organization feeds this contagion.

All responsible press organizations should adopt the following set of guidelines by professor Adam Lankford, variations of which are echoed, according to a report from Vox, by the FBI, researchers at Texas State University, The I Love U Guys Foundation, and other groups across the country.

1) Don’t name the perpetrator.
2) Don’t use photos or likenesses of the perpetrator.
3) Stop using the names, photos, or likenesses of past perpetrators.
4) Report everything else about these crimes in as much detail as desired.
Semper Gumby
unfitmother

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:47 am

unfitmother wrote:I'll post this for anybody who got lost in the echo chamber.

1. Mass shootings are a media contagion. The press can help stop it with the same anti-copycat guidelines they already use for suicides.

Even amidst the fractal squabbling that poisons this whole debate, there is one idea that nearly everybody agrees on: mass shootings are a media contagion. There’s a large body of research on the subject, and it indicates that saturation media coverage of these horrors likely causes additional mass shootings.

Playing right into the memetic contagion, CNN has been heavily promoting a “fact sheet” it made, which is literally a grotesque mass murder scoreboard. Fox News, the New York Times, Breitbart, MSNBC, take your pick, nearly every big news organization feeds this contagion.

All responsible press organizations should adopt the following set of guidelines by professor Adam Lankford, variations of which are echoed, according to a report from Vox, by the FBI, researchers at Texas State University, The I Love U Guys Foundation, and other groups across the country.

The author is assuming the media wants to stop mass shootings. Mass shootings are ratings gold to them.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby xd ED on Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:48 am

Ghost wrote:The fact that so many believe they can reason with unreasonable people is beyond me.

Yep; attempting to reason with the unreasonable is a dead end.
Like much in human behavior, there exits a bell curve, with the unmovable at either extreme, and the majority somewhere in the center.
Just as election campaigns strive to influence that group, so do the constituents of gun control issues.
Where we are disadvantaged is in the fact the media holds sway over the center.
Our potential advantage is in the numbers of a motivated, and active electorate.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby BigBlue on Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:55 am

unfitmother wrote:I'll post this for anybody who got lost in the echo chamber.

The media definitely plays a role in mass killings. When I talk of having to change society to help avoid these mass killers getting to the point where they need to kill the media glorification is certainly contributing. It's one of many components, but a major one. This won't change because the continue carnage is needed for the left to advance their goals regarding guns.
BigBlue

Postby Randygmn on Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:46 pm

Once classified as a machine gun, they become illegal immediately. Because of the Gun Control Act of 1986, no “machine gun” manufactured since can be legally owned by civilians. There is no mechanism to open up the registry to grandfather existing bump stocks without an act of Congress.

As far as the proposal goes, I agree to everything....except items 1,2 and 3 in the “gun control” column. Incrementally, they got NICS checks 19 years ago. Now they are attempting a universal background check without registration. Give it another 19 years and they’ll say that wasn’t effective enough, we need universal registration. Sorry, but I’d rather just fight it out now. Kinetically. Winner takes all, once and for all.[/quote]
So when they decide any semi auto that fires faster than 2 rounds a minute is now a machine gun what do we do? Bumpstocks are not nor ever will be machine guns. This is one hell of a slippery slope.[/quote]

I wasn’t answering that I support this reclassification, which I vehemently oppose, by the way, but rather why upon reclassification they’d become immediately illegal to possess.
Randygmn

Previous

Return to Politics