Knife control bills coming?

Firearms related political discussion forum

Knife control bills coming?

Postby BigBlue on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:34 pm

Will there be protests and marches telling us to ban knives after this incident? Bans on serrated knives? New bills offered to restrict sales of knives to people at least 10 years old? Background checks to get knives, even from your mom?

3 injured in Pleasantview Elementary student knife attack

I say this with thick sarcasm right now, but then I remember all the crap I've read from the UK recently and this actually starts to sound like stuff that will eventually happen.
BigBlue

Re: Knife control bills coming?

Postby Ghost on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:19 pm

What color was the knife?
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:41 pm

Glad no one was seriously hurt.

Not sure this is really a case we should point to in order to help our cause to be honest.
Holland&Holland

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:33 pm

My guess would be the kid was bullied and got tired of it. But until the facts come out, it’s anyone’s guess.
Bearcatrp

Postby BigBlue on Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:37 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Glad no one was seriously hurt.

Not sure this is really a case we should point to in order to help our cause to be honest.

I disagree. I've stated all along that the cause of these school (or mass) violence situations are bad people doing bad things (or in this case, a misguided person mimicking what they see in the news). The tool they use does not matter, nor does any law about how they got the tool (above and beyond normal society standards for things). We need the folks who are so concerned about stopping this violence to understand that more gun control isn't the answer and get them focused on valid methods of deterring it.
BigBlue

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:47 pm

BigBlue wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:Glad no one was seriously hurt.

I disagree. I've stated all along that the cause of these school (or mass) violence situations are bad people doing bad things (or in this case, a misguided person mimicking what they see in the news). The tool they use does not matter, nor does any law about how they got the tool (above and beyond normal society standards for things). We need the folks who are so concerned about stopping this violence to understand that more gun control isn't the answer and get them focused on valid methods of deterring it.

While I agree with your general sentiment, I doubt that this particular story is going to be much use to prove said point. In fact it could be conceived that it could be used as "proof" that gun control works. "The kid did not have access to a gun and therefore only superficial wounds were received. Isn't it great we outlawed all guns?"

Look, not trying to argue the fact that it is the individual actor that is the issue, however I am saying don't expect to use this example to change anyone's mind. Furthermore don't be surprised when this is used as evidence of the opposing point of view on the mater.
Holland&Holland

Return to Politics