Eden Prairie City Council AW Ban and Age Increase

Firearms related political discussion forum

Eden Prairie City Council AW Ban and Age Increase

Postby Baz on Mon May 14, 2018 8:18 am

I received the email this morning informing me of the Eden Prairie City Council meeting tomorrow evening over their proposed "assault weapons" ban and raising all other firearm purchases from 18 to 21.

I'm planning on attending for my support in opposition of the measure, and encourage as many others to do so as well. I just shot an email to the council's email address and am planning on making the phone calls to them later today.

For those interested in joining along, here are some details:

5:30 pm - City Council Workshop
6:30pm - Open Podium
7:00pm - City Council Meeting - discussion, debate, vote

Council email address: AllCouncil@edenprairie.org
Council phone numbers:

Mayor Nancy Tyra-Lukens - 952.949.8593
Brad Aho - 952.303.6884
Sherry Butcher Wickstrom - 612.296.3721
Ron Case - 952.949.0915
Kathy Nelson - 952.941.6613

Here's the email I drafted up, so feel free to use it as a template, support it, critique it, tell me to go jump off a bridge, etc.:

Dear Council Members,

I am writing to you to express my concern and opposition to the proposed “assault weapons” ban being discussed for Eden Prairie. Though I know such a decision to be allegorical in nature due to Minnesota’s preemption laws, the meaning and driving force behind the measure is in direct contrast to both my beliefs and to civil liberties whose acknowledgements are outlined in the United States Constitution.

I am a law-abiding gun owner who lives in Hennepin County and a frequent visitor and shopper in Eden Prairie. In fact, my wife and I are currently in the process of looking for our first house to purchase in the West Metro, not one meant to be a short-term starter home, but one we will plan to reside in until our future kids are grown enough to begin searching for their future homes.

If the proposed measure passes, I can guarantee you all that my wife and I will immediately remove any potential listing from our current options that resides within Eden Prairie’s limits. I cannot support, through taxes and other community involvement and volunteerism, a jurisdiction whose leaders propagate false senses of security without merit and at the expense of its law-abiding residents and personal liberty, despite how virtuous that propagation claims to be or appears on the surface. To be further demonized for simply abiding by the law and containing core beliefs embedded in the entirety of the Bill of Rights is not something I would voluntarily choose for my family or friends, which is why I would also eliminate any commerce or support in Eden Prairie and encourage the same amongst my friends, extended family, and other Minnesota communities if this measure passes.

To ban certain firearms because one believes their lethality increases due to aesthetic differences is one not based on sound reason, logic, or rationale. There is no scientific justification or evidence to conclude such a claim. Instead, it’s an easily disseminated falsehood caused possible through the lack of familiarity and ignorance of firearms, their engineering, and their function.

The idea that someone viewed as a legal adult in the eyes of the United States government - one who is trusted with the ability to speak his/her mind, trusted with the responsibility to vote for his/her representatives within government, trusted to help defend the country from enemies foreign and domestic (not always voluntarily) - can somehow be viewed differently when it comes to another constitutionally-acknowledged or granted right, and that the age of trusted responsibility should be arbitrarily increased to another number, is dumbfounding. But why is that idea so common? Because of something so unfamiliar to so many.

There are thousands and thousands of pages of laws currently on the books regarding firearms. And yet, those laws are continually broken. Sometimes, those laws aren’t even enforced or their penalties not delivered. So, what’s the solution to laws being broken by criminals who don’t care, unenforced by executive agents who don’t care, or not delivering penal-sentences by judicial agents who don’t care? Apparently, the answer is more laws for the sake of more laws. At least then those responsible can point a collective thumbs-up at one another for “doing something” to combat problems that don’t exist, deflect from failures of the powers at be, or create an ever-growing society that would rather feel safe than be safe despite the erosion of personal liberty, responsibility, and accountability.

I implore you to consider logic and reason tomorrow evening and drop this proposed measure.

Sincerely,
Baz
Baz

Re: Eden Prairie City Council AW Ban and Age Increase

Postby westhope on Mon May 14, 2018 8:30 am

Arnzen Arms
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby Grayskies on Mon May 14, 2018 8:44 am

I like the Email :)
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Ghost on Mon May 14, 2018 8:50 am

Ridiculous
Ghost

Postby photogpat on Mon May 14, 2018 8:52 am

It must be nice that the City Council there in EP has totally solved all the problems that City can encounter, and now has time and budget to waste on virtue signaling.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon May 14, 2018 9:10 am

So what is stated at the city council meetings regarding this issue when their city attorney tells them about Pre-emption?

"I don't care, we will pass a law that will not stand up in a court challenge"

"We are debating this in order to make headlines but will actually not do anything"

"You are just a stupid attorney and don't understand the law"

????
Holland&Holland

Postby photogpat on Mon May 14, 2018 9:14 am

Holland&Holland wrote:So what is stated at the city council meetings regarding this issue when their city attorney tells them about Pre-emption?

"I don't care, we will pass a law that will not stand up in a court challenge"

"We are debating this in order to make headlines but will actually not do anything"

"You are just a stupid attorney and don't understand the law"

????

"Stop shaming us you cock-man-oppressor, we're virtue signaling over here."
photogpat

Postby Randygmn on Mon May 14, 2018 9:36 am

If you haven’t sent the email, I’d edit this line....”it’s an easily disseminated falsehood caused possible through the lack of familiarity and ignorance of firearms, their engineering, and their function.” to read “made possible”, instead. “Caused possible” is incorrect. Fwiw.
Randygmn

Postby Baz on Mon May 14, 2018 9:42 am

Great catch - thanks, Randy!
Baz

Postby yukonjasper on Mon May 14, 2018 9:54 am

I'd agree with the edit, but otherwise a well written letter. The grandstanding and groping for "something to do" would be comical if it weren't based on such contempt for Constitutional Rights. I am continually amazed with the lack of interest from the ACLU - how they maintain any credibility when they obviously are not what they claim to be.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby photogpat on Mon May 14, 2018 11:50 am

yukonjasper wrote:I'd agree with the edit, but otherwise a well written letter. The grandstanding and groping for "something to do" would be comical if it weren't based on such contempt for Constitutional Rights. I am continually amazed with the lack of interest from the ACLU - how they maintain any credibility when they obviously are not what they claim to be.

The ACLU clarified that they only care about bearing "some" arms....not all of them, and not all the time either.
photogpat

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon May 14, 2018 3:30 pm

photogpat wrote:
yukonjasper wrote:I'd agree with the edit, but otherwise a well written letter. The grandstanding and groping for "something to do" would be comical if it weren't based on such contempt for Constitutional Rights. I am continually amazed with the lack of interest from the ACLU - how they maintain any credibility when they obviously are not what they claim to be.

The ACLU clarified that they only care about bearing "some" arms....not all of them, and not all the time either.

So liberty only in the narrowest sense of the word then. Got it.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Mon May 14, 2018 4:21 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
photogpat wrote:

So liberty only in the narrowest sense of the word then. Got it.

At least we can fight this instead of 9 vs 45
Ghost

Postby Baz on Mon May 14, 2018 4:54 pm

Here's the response from Ron Case, the council member backing the measure per GOC:

"Thank you for sharing your thoughts. As with any emotionally charged issue in politics today the conversation quickly sinks into mistruths and falsehoods. First place, cities can't enact bans on the sale of guns. So, all we are considering tomorrow evening is to request that our gun stores voluntarily not sell assault-style rifles since once of our gun stores is attached to our mall. However, I'm personally re-thinking that in that I think in speaking with my gun-owning friends, I believe there are some common-sense, common ground initiatives that would actually be more effective if the Legislature were to pass them. Subjecting all guns to a hand-gun permitting process. Enforcing current laws on the books. Banning bump stocks. Making our mental illness lists "talk" to our no-gun buy public safety lists. In other words, I'm guessing you and I would agree on a lot of these common sense ideas that are being floated around the country today. But like most of us, we feel that something needs to be done that does not infringe on gun-owning rights while at the same time helping to keep guns out of the hands of emotionally unstable people. So, thank you for joining me in the conversation. Take care,

Ron Case"
Baz

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon May 14, 2018 5:12 pm

Baz wrote:Here's the response from Ron Case, the council member backing the measure per GOC:

"Thank you for sharing your thoughts. As with any emotionally charged issue in politics today the conversation quickly sinks into mistruths and falsehoods. First place, cities can't enact bans on the sale of guns. So, all we are considering tomorrow evening is to request that our gun stores voluntarily not sell assault-style rifles since once of our gun stores is attached to our mall. However, I'm personally re-thinking that in that I think in speaking with my gun-owning friends, I believe there are some common-sense, common ground initiatives that would actually be more effective if the Legislature were to pass them. Subjecting all guns to a hand-gun permitting process. Enforcing current laws on the books. Banning bump stocks. Making our mental illness lists "talk" to our no-gun buy public safety lists. In other words, I'm guessing you and I would agree on a lot of these common sense ideas that are being floated around the country today. But like most of us, we feel that something needs to be done that does not infringe on gun-owning rights while at the same time helping to keep guns out of the hands of emotionally unstable people. So, thank you for joining me in the conversation. Take care,

Ron Case"

Yea, I doubt ole Ron and I would agree on much
Holland&Holland

Next

Return to Politics