Sheriff slashes PTC Fees for Vets & Ret. Police

Firearms related political discussion forum

Sheriff slashes PTC Fees for Vets & Ret. Police

Postby westhope on Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:36 pm

Steele county Sheriff slashes fees from $100 to $25 for veterans, current military and retired police ONLY.

http://www.steeledodgenews.com/news/sheriff-slashes-gun-permit-fees-vets

Thiele said the idea came up during a recent District 6 meeting of sheriffs from 13 surrounding counties. “Statutorily, we have to charge a certain amount, but what we can do is make it easier for our veterans and active military members,” he said.

From 624.714:

For new PTC
(f) The sheriff may charge a new application processing fee in an amount not to exceed the actual and reasonable direct cost of processing the application or $100, whichever is less. Of this amount, $10 must be submitted to the commissioner and deposited into the general fund.

Renewals:
(1) no earlier than 90 days prior to the expiration date on the permit, the permit holder may renew the permit by submitting to the appropriate sheriff the application packet described in subdivision 3 and a renewal processing fee not to exceed the actual and reasonable direct cost of processing the application or $75, whichever is less. Of this amount, $5 must be submitted to the commissioner and deposited into the general fund. The sheriff must process the renewal application in accordance with subdivisions 4 and 6; and

(2) a permit holder who submits a renewal application packet after the expiration date of the permit, but within 30 days after expiration, may renew the permit as provided in clause (1) by paying an additional late fee of $10.

Nothing about reduced fees for anyone.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Re: Sheriff slashes PTC Fees for Vets & Ret. Police

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:47 pm

I got no problem with that
Holland&Holland

Postby Grayskies on Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:06 pm

Cheaper is better, tho it might have been better to help low income especially those applying under the emergency rule.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Ghost on Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:16 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:I got no problem with that

It’s a start and I have no problem with it but I see no reason why some are more equal.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:34 pm

I hear ya, but I got no issue with giving veterans and retired cops a Break.
Holland&Holland

Postby hammAR on Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:24 am

Ghost wrote:

It’s a start and I have no problem with it but I see no reason why some are more equal.

In general I have no issue with all being equal..........
IF is is implemented equally across the board......
so why does a Veteran have to pay an additional fee to have a Veterans License Plate........................
Is that more equal or less equal......
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Ghost on Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:50 am

hammAR wrote:
Ghost wrote:

In general I have no issue with all being equal..........
IF is is implemented equally across the board......
so why does a Veteran have to pay an additional fee to have a Veterans License Plate........................

Equal, I have to pay for anything other than the standard plate too. One of my degrees is from UoM, I'd have to pay for that plate.

It goes back to what I learned in my college days and being taught by one of Malcom X’s buddies, I want everyone to be treated the same. He didn’t.

To reiterate, I’m not saying what they’ve done is bad. Just could be better.
Last edited by Ghost on Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost

Postby andrewP on Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:03 am

hammAR wrote:
Ghost wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:so why does a Veteran have to pay an additional fee to have a Veterans License Plate........................

Because that's a non-standard option, roughly equivalent to getting a custom/vanity plate. In terms of PTC, the "product" is the same, so why shouldn't the price be the same?
andrewP

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:06 am

Ya, eff those damn senior citizens and there discounted coffee. A cup of Joe should cost the same no matter who is drinking it.
Holland&Holland

Postby MNIceMan on Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:16 am

It really disturbs me to see all these groups getting discounts for being the HERO when they are not. Their job just like your and mine were chosen by us, excluding people that were drafted. My son currently in the Navy feels the same way. It's one thing to risk your life which most of these groups will never do. Only a few out of each group do go beyond and above. I don't seek a discount for assuring every product my company makes is absolutely safe to operate by our customers. Just my .02.
MN DNR FAS Instructor
NRA Life Member
"We all have our own Green Mile to walk. How will yours be?"
MNIceMan

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:26 am

MNIceMan wrote:It really disturbs me to see all these groups getting discounts for being the HERO when they are not. Their job just like your and mine were chosen by us, excluding people that were drafted. My son currently in the Navy feels the same way. It's one thing to risk your life which most of these groups will never do. Only a few out of each group do go beyond and above. I don't seek a discount for assuring every product my company makes is absolutely safe to operate by our customers. Just my .02.

Many gun related businesses offer such a discount. Cabela's, Midway USA, OGC, DNR, many many others. I have no issue with it. I can concede your point that perhaps guberment should not make such a distinction. Private business should be allowed to conduct their business how they see fit. I still have no issue with it even considering it is guberment. Maybe thy should just do away with the permits and fees and then it is not an issue for anyone?
Holland&Holland

Postby MNIceMan on Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:27 am

The only reason there is a fee is for more revenue. We already pay them to do their work.
MN DNR FAS Instructor
NRA Life Member
"We all have our own Green Mile to walk. How will yours be?"
MNIceMan

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:30 am

MNIceMan wrote:The only reason there is a fee is for more revenue. We already pay them to do their work.

Tell that to the folks at the DMV office I frequent. I do believe they feel their pay is just because and there is absolutely no incentive to actually do work. ;)
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:01 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
MNIceMan wrote:It really disturbs me to see all these groups getting discounts for being the HERO when they are not. Their job just like your and mine were chosen by us, excluding people that were drafted. My son currently in the Navy feels the same way. It's one thing to risk your life which most of these groups will never do. Only a few out of each group do go beyond and above. I don't seek a discount for assuring every product my company makes is absolutely safe to operate by our customers. Just my .02.

Many gun related businesses offer such a discount. Cabela's, Midway USA, OGC, DNR, many many others. I have no issue with it. I can concede your point that perhaps guberment should not make such a distinction. Private business should be allowed to conduct their business how they see fit. I still have no issue with it even considering it is guberment. Maybe thy should just do away with the permits and fees and then it is not an issue for anyone?

I agree with H&H. I would rather see a higher pay rate for active duty people with Hazzard pay incentives. The Government and the people owe more than some relatively inconsequential discount that is more symbolic than practical.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby jhp on Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:02 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
Many gun related businesses offer such a discount.

The government is not a business and doesn't get to decide to arbitrarily charge what they want, for who they want. Either:

A) The "reasonable and direct cost..." of the permit processing is less than $100 in which case the sheriff is breaking the law as written when they charge everyone else "full price"
or
B) The "reasonable and direct cost..." is greater than or equal to $100 and the sheriff is now passing the costs for processing some people's permits onto the rest of the taxpayers.

While the sheriff's intent to support military/LE is probably rooted in a desire to do a nice thing, neither of these scenarios are okay. Either everyone gets the discount or nobody does, that's what's fair. Would you feel the same way if women got a discount but not men?

Personally I'd be happy if each sheriff's department followed the law as written. However after reading the permit statistics reports for as many years as they have been available it's pretty clear many of them treat the permit processing as a revenue stream and use the permit fees as a way to offset other operational costs.
jhp

Next

Return to Politics