How's the pro/anti gun struggle going?

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: How's the pro/anti gun struggle going?

Postby xd ED on Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:34 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
Lumpy wrote:My general impression from what news I catch is that both sides are ramping up their game: the anti's are pushing ever more stringent gun control, the pro's are fighting back, and the status of various legal challenges is mixed. Is this accurate? It's hard to gauge overall progress vs. setbacks.

My take on this is that the anti side is getting more strategic in their approach. They have been watching our "chess not checkers" analogy and while much of their base is still ruled by mob thinking they are looking for sneaky ways to undermine us. They are looking for cracks and exploiting them. That is why they paid for a booth at the state trapshooting championship. Nothing like accessing 12,000 kids and their parents with "common sense gun safety".

"...they paid for a booth at the state trapshooting championship. Nothing like accessing 12,000 kids and their parents with "common sense gun safety"."

Really? What kind of info propaganda were they dispensing? How were they received?
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:09 pm

They claimed they were supporting gun safety. To be fair they did have some basic gun safety materials and while they were not overt about it the gun control agenda was evident if you knew how to spot it. Like the t-shirt they were selling that said " Minnesotans for child safety" or something like that if I recall correctly.

I complained to the organizers and they claim that protect mn left after the one day and did not return.
Holland&Holland

Postby bstrawse on Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:56 am

Holland&Holland wrote:They claimed they were supporting gun safety. To be fair they did have some basic gun safety materials and while they were not overt about it the gun control agenda was evident if you knew how to spot it. Like the t-shirt they were selling that said " Minnesotans for child safety" or something like that if I recall correctly.

I complained to the organizers and they claim that protect mn left after the one day and did not return.

We're pretty sure they won't be back - but we'll see what winds up happening.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby daleamn on Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:10 pm

I'd say let Protect MN show up at gun events. I'm always reminded of a saying by Ted Nugent that went something like this, "I like it when people say stupid things. That way you know who the stupid people are."

From my brief contact with Protect MN. They are telling their supporters to dial back on the "gun nut" rhetoric so they can get their stuff passed in the legislature this session.
1. The Universal Background Checks for ALL gun purchases/transfers.
2. The Red Flag-Gun Confiscation orders.

Apparently the Protect MN folk are actively trying to avoid calling gun owners "gun nuts" and "terrorists" and are trying to curry favor with any gun owners they can to get the above passed.

P.S. Let Protect MN show up but have someone call them on the lies they tell about guns and gun ownership.
daleamn

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:28 pm

daleamn wrote:I'd say let Protect MN show up at gun events. I'm always reminded of a saying by Ted Nugent that went something like this, "I like it when people say stupid things. That way you know who the stupid people are."

From my brief contact with Protect MN. They are telling their supporters to dial back on the "gun nut" rhetoric so they can get their stuff passed in the legislature this session.
1. The Universal Background Checks for ALL gun purchases/transfers.
2. The Red Flag-Gun Confiscation orders.

Apparently the Protect MN folk are actively trying to avoid calling gun owners "gun nuts" and "terrorists" and are trying to curry favor with any gun owners they can to get the above passed.

P.S. Let Protect MN show up but have someone call them on the lies they tell about guns and gun ownership.

I understand what you are saying but I don’t want to provide them with any sort of platform period. They are only stupid sounding to us. They are hiding their dishonesty well to divide and conquer.
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:01 am

From: Representative Angie Craig [mailto:MN02ACIMA@mail.house.gov] 
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2019 8:50 AM
To:
Subject: Responding to your message
April 11, 2019

Dear Mr. X,

Thank you for contacting my office about the important issues of gun rights and gun violence.

As a gun owner, I understand the need to protect the constitutional right to bear arms. I also know there are common sense steps we can take to help ensure guns are used safely by law abiding citizens.

First, we must allow the Centers for Disease Control to conduct unbiased research into gun violence.  Passage of the Gun Violence Prevention Research Act of 2019 will allow us to better understand the factors that contribute to gun violence, and we can create policies to mitigate those causes.

Next, the Senate must take up and pass H.R.8, the Bipartisan Background Checks Act of 2019, to close loopholes in our existing background check system so we are sure that criminals are not able to purchase weapons.

We also must prevent the sale of military style assault weapons, as well as bump stocks, which turn legal guns into fully automatic weapons of war.

I’m also working with representatives from both parties to solve issues faced by families across the 2nd Congressional district.

Health care remains my top priority, and I’ve already introduced a bill to lower premiums for hard working families. I’ve also joined several bills designed to reduce the astronomical cost of prescription drugs. A bipartisan measure I authored to help local communities maintain access to clean water just passed out of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee. That committee is also where I advocate for increased infrastructure investments in our highways, roads bridges and waterways throughout the second district. Additionally, I am fighting on a bi-partisan basis to make sure our education system is fully funded, including federal funds for special education, so our students have the resources they need to be successful.

I’ve been listening to farmers and greater Minnesotans across the district and have brought their concerns directly to the chairman of the Committee on Agriculture. And in the Committee on Small Business, I’m listening to owners and employees of small businesses to help level the playing field.

Thank you again for reaching out about the issue of gun rights and gun violence.  To stay up to date on my work in Washington and the 2nd district, sign up for my newsletter here.  Please don’t hesitate to contact my office about the issues important to you and your family, your input helps me better serve you.

Sincerely,

Angie Craig
Member of Congress

Please do not reply, this is an unattended mailbox. To contact me please click here. Thank You!

This e-mail, including attachments, may include confidential and/or
proprietary information, and may be used only by the person or entity
to which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended
recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender by replying to this message and delete this e-mail immediately.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:11 am

Banging my head in a Liberal represented district.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:15 am

Wow, just wow. Dumb knows no bounds, yet they get elected.
Holland&Holland

Postby Citiot on Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:54 am

Holland&Holland wrote:Wow, just wow. Dumb knows no bounds, yet they get elected.

I did some thinking. MN Reps get $45K/year. In order to be a rep, you can't easily have a normal 9-5 job. $45k/yr is not enough to raise a family, etc. So, other income is needed

This leaves two groups.
1) People with other non traditional income streams.... wealthy board-of-director types. Business owners.
2) Lower income people who use their Rep salary as their primary income.

Hear me out. Make the job pay $100k/yr. Then the job would attract competent people who actually think.
Citiot

Postby Ironbear on Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:00 am

Citiot wrote:Hear me out. Make the job pay $100k/yr. Then the job would attract competent people who actually think.

I think, that most "thinking" people would watch the news, look at the job, and say, "No Way!"
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby Citiot on Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:26 am

Ironbear wrote:
Citiot wrote:Hear me out. Make the job pay $100k/yr. Then the job would attract competent people who actually think.

I think, that most "thinking" people would watch the news, look at the job, and say, "No Way!"

I think I'd do it for $150k/year.

You gotta have a thick skin, use the art of critical thinking (not emotional law making), management skills, strategic skills, networking skills, etc.

At $45k/yr, you get what you pay for.
Citiot

Postby jdege on Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:31 am

Citiot wrote:I did some thinking. MN Reps get $45K/year. In order to be a rep, you can't easily have a normal 9-5 job. $45k/yr is not enough to raise a family, etc. So, other income is needed.

The alternative is to make it a true part time job.

Limit the session to six weeks every other year.
jdege

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:36 am

Citiot wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:Wow, just wow. Dumb knows no bounds, yet they get elected.

I did some thinking. MN Reps get $45K/year. In order to be a rep, you can't easily have a normal 9-5 job. $45k/yr is not enough to raise a family, etc. So, other income is needed

This leaves two groups.
1) People with other non traditional income streams.... wealthy board-of-director types. Business owners.
2) Lower income people who use their Rep salary as their primary income.

Hear me out. Make the job pay $100k/yr. Then the job would attract competent people who actually think.

Most politicians are attracted to politics by their lust for power, not money.

They all get rich eventually, but they start out desiring power.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:37 am

jdege wrote:The alternative is to make it a true part time job.

Limit the session to six weeks every other year.

You mean like writing a Constitution to limit thieir power? :?
(which will be largely ignored)
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby MJY65 on Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:22 pm

Citiot wrote:

Angie Craig is a US Representative. Her salary is $175,000/year
MJY65

PreviousNext

Return to Politics