2019 Legislature-Will we be thrown under the bus?

Firearms related political discussion forum

2019 Legislature-Will we be thrown under the bus?

Postby daleamn on Wed May 08, 2019 2:55 pm

So it’s the final days of the legislature and our divided senate/house are NOW finally trying to get things done. I just despair at EVER expecting them to get things done earlier.

Some folk think the legislature is akin to your average high schooler who has two months to do a term paper but doesn’t start writing until the night before it’s due.

I DISAGREE.

The wait-until-the-end is a TACTIC and there is NO compelling reason for either side to abandon it.

So, after butting heads for a few days with little or no sleep will the result be “Oh, leave the gun control stuff in the Omnibus bill, we’ve got to compromise on SOMETHING.”

I’m afraid I just might admit there might be stuff more important to the legislature than gun rights. Like health care, taxes (including the gas tax), education funding etc.

Also the two things the anti-gun folk are pushing THIS session are seemingly innocuous. Universal background checks (UBC) and Red Flag laws.

Now although I’m new here I want everyone to realize that I agree these two items are pretty much worthless for reducing “gun violence” and after having listened to the excellent podcasts about the Minnesota gun situation at:
http://www.mngunreport.com/
I agree the “Red Flag” laws should be properly called the “Red Flag Gun Confiscation” laws and they are a very, very bad joke.

I am just wondering if our side will stand firm and what we can do to encourage them to do so. Will gun rights matter to somebody who has spent a couple days without sleep wrestling with an omnibus bill that has a LOT of things that MUST be passed or will we be thrown under the bus?
daleamn

Re: 2019 Legislature-Will we be thrown under the bus?

Postby MJY65 on Wed May 08, 2019 3:05 pm

daleamn wrote:I’m afraid I just might admit there might be stuff more important to the legislature than gun rights. Like health care, taxes (including the gas tax), education funding etc.

I think that's exactly the case. While gun rights are probably very near the top of the list for many of us on this board, that certainly is not the case for the population in general. For most of the state, it's right in there with designating the State Pancake.
MJY65

Postby Ghost on Wed May 08, 2019 3:10 pm

Never trust government
Ghost

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed May 08, 2019 3:24 pm

No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby bstrawse on Wed May 08, 2019 8:48 pm

The MN Gun Report is a product of the Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus - I'm glad that you like the podcast.

Here's what you can do:

1) Make sure you're on our mailing list - you can signup right on gunowners.mn

2) If you're active on social media, follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/mnguncaucus and on Facebook at http://facebook.com/gunownersmn

3) Goto our Action Center and contact your Reps and Senator for everything that's listed: http://gunowners.mn/action

4) Take the following action at the bottom of this page (has to be done manually - can't be done through action center)

5) If you're not a member, I strongly encourage you to join at http://gunowners.mn/join. We have a full-time presence at the State Capitol during session and events throughout the state.

Hope this helps!
Bryan

== Conference Committee Action ==

DAILY ACTION: CONTACT CONFERENCE COMMITTEE MEMBERS

The Conference Committee for SF 802 - the Judiciary and Public Safety Omnibus Bill has been named.

This committee will attempt to develop a compromise version of the Judiciary and Public Safety Omnibus between the House version (which has gun control) and the Senate version (which has ZERO gun control)

DAILY ACTION:
** Use the list below to e-mail and call every Senator and Representative on this list.
** TELL THEM NO GUN CONTROL IN THE JUDICIARY AND PUBLIC SAFETY OMNIBUS BILL
** Plan to do it again tomorrow - and the next day.

It's extremely important that you both EMAIL and CALL in order to make your voice heard.

POUR ON THE PRESSURE

---

Senate Members

Senator Warren Limmer, 651-296-2159, sen.warren.limmer@senate.mn

Senator Bruce Anderson, 651-296-5981, sen.bruce.anderson@senate.mn

Senator Andrew Lang, 651-296-4918, contact via form at https://www.senate.mn/members/member_em ... uH1g6SB94w

Senator Mark Johnson, 651-296-5782, contact via form at https://www.senate.mn/members/member_em ... 4O4PVeZD9U

Senator Ron Latz, 651-297-8065, contact via form at https://www.senate.mn/members/member_em ... _LZahLOGK0

House Members

Rep. Carlos Mariani, 651-296-9714, rep.carlos.mariani@house.mn

Rep. John Lesch, 651-296-4224, rep.john.lesch@house.mn

Rep. Kelly Moller, 651-296-0141, rep.kelly.moller@house.mn

Rep. Dave Pinto, 651-296-4199, rep.dave.pinto@house.mn

Rep. Nick Zerwas, 651-296-4237, rep.nick.zerwas@house.mn
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby bstrawse on Wed May 08, 2019 8:49 pm

I'm highly optimistic that we're going to end this session without any gun control being passed into law. But that's only going to happen if we KEEP UP THE PRESSURE on our elected officials - and the Conference Committee for SF 802 - the Judiciary and Public Safety Omnibus Bill.

See above for action items

Thanks,
Bryan
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby sansooshooter on Thu May 09, 2019 3:49 am

bstrawse wrote:I'm highly optimistic that we're going to end this session without any gun control being passed into law. But that's only going to happen if we KEEP UP THE PRESSURE on our elected officials - and the Conference Committee for SF 802 - the Judiciary and Public Safety Omnibus Bill.

Thanks,
Bryan

I have hit the list every time its requested . I also forward the email to every gun owner on my email list .
I make the phone calls .
Both my state reps are solid pro-gun . But I still call and email them .
If a few more % of gun owners would get more politically active , we would be far more secure in our rights .
Too much apathy from our side !
sansooshooter

Postby bstrawse on Thu May 09, 2019 5:47 am

sansooshooter wrote:
bstrawse wrote:I'm highly optimistic that we're going to end this session without any gun control being passed into law. But that's only going to happen if we KEEP UP THE PRESSURE on our elected officials - and the Conference Committee for SF 802 - the Judiciary and Public Safety Omnibus Bill.

Thanks,
Bryan

I have hit the list every time its requested . I also forward the email to every gun owner on my email list .
I make the phone calls .
If a few more % of gun owners would get more politically active , we would be far more secure in our rights .

~2.5 million gun owners in Minnesota -- I'd say less than 15,000 are politically engaged.

Thanks for what you are doing!
Bryan
bstrawse

Postby sansooshooter on Thu May 09, 2019 9:11 am

bstrawse wrote:
sansooshooter wrote:

Thanks,
Bryan

I make the phone calls .

~2.5 million gun owners in Minnesota -- I'd say less than 15,000 are politically engaged.

Thanks for what you are doing!
Bryan

That is dismal . I personally know guys that are collectors. Who have a lot of the type of guns that the anti gunner's want to ban first.
A lot of those guys are not even remotely involved in the political arena of gun control.
I tell them how easy it is to get on the MGOC email list and how easy you guy's have made it to email their state reps .
They still don't do it :roll:
I just don't get it .
sansooshooter

Postby jdege on Thu May 09, 2019 9:16 am

sansooshooter wrote:That is dismal . I personally know guys that are collectors. Who have a lot of the type of guns that the anti gunner's want to ban first.
A lot of those guys are not even remotely involved in the political arena of gun control.
I tell them how easy it is to get on the MGOC email list and how easy you guy's have made it to email their state reps .
I just don't get it .

Why should we need to do anything?
You'll do it all for us.
jdege

Postby yukonjasper on Thu May 09, 2019 9:29 am

Human nature.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Thu May 09, 2019 10:06 am

jdege wrote:
sansooshooter wrote:That is dismal . I personally know guys that are collectors. Who have a lot of the type of guns that the anti gunner's want to ban first.
I just don't get it .

Why should we need to do anything?
You'll do it all for us.

Russstra will fix it
Ghost

Postby crbutler on Thu May 09, 2019 12:12 pm

I will admit that I’ve given up on writing my reps.

Every response I get is to tell me how glad they are that I got a hold of them and that they are glad to continue to fight for more gun control with my support.

In other words, their left wing staff throws it in the gun control bucket and sends me their canned gun control response.

It certainly doesn’t help that the (nonresident IMO) college students sway my districts vote to reliably left wing democrat.
crbutler

Postby daleamn on Thu May 09, 2019 12:40 pm

I'm highly optimistic that we're going to end this session without any gun control being passed into law.

I am NOT optimistic about this. But if we avoid any new gun control laws this session (2019) I say it was because of your group and your efforts and leadership.

And let me be clear about these proposed laws, I believe they would be USELESS in stopping "gun violence" and would be a burden/punishment on all legal gun owners while NOT preventing the illegal gun dealings in any meaningful way.
daleamn

Postby bstrawse on Thu May 09, 2019 12:43 pm

crbutler wrote:I will admit that I’ve given up on writing my reps.

Every response I get is to tell me how glad they are that I got a hold of them and that they are glad to continue to fight for more gun control with my support.

In other words, their left wing staff throws it in the gun control bucket and sends me their canned gun control response.

It certainly doesn’t help that the (nonresident IMO) college students sway my districts vote to reliably left wing democrat.

I know it feels like it's falling on deaf ears - but it's worth it to keep contacting them. Otherwise, they tell everyone "well I never hear from anyone except people who want gun safety regulations", or whatever the language of the month is.

I have Jamie Becker-Finn and Jason Isaacson as my Representative and State Senator, respectively. Neither supports gun rights and are both big gun control proponents. I still contact them regularly.

Don't let up the pressure, even if you think it's falling on deaf ears.

b
bstrawse

Next

Return to Politics