2019 Legislature-Will we be thrown under the bus?

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: 2019 Legislature-Will we be thrown under the bus?

Postby bstrawse on Thu May 09, 2019 12:44 pm

daleamn wrote:
I'm highly optimistic that we're going to end this session without any gun control being passed into law.

I am NOT optimistic about this. But if we avoid any new gun control laws this session (2019) I say it was because of your group and your efforts and leadership.

And let me be clear about these proposed laws, I believe they would be USELESS in stopping "gun violence" and would be a burden/punishment on all legal gun owners while NOT preventing the illegal gun dealings in any meaningful way.

We agree that these laws would do absolutely nothing - and never touch the illicit market for firearms. We testified to that point before the Public Safety and Judiciary Committees during hearings earlier this month.

If we stop gun control this session, it will be because grassroots gun owners got up and took action -- they're the real power.

Bryan
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby crbutler on Thu May 09, 2019 1:16 pm

bstrawse wrote:
crbutler wrote:I will admit that I’ve given up on writing my reps.

Every response I get is to tell me how glad they are that I got a hold of them and that they are glad to continue to fight for more gun control with my support.

In other words, their left wing staff throws it in the gun control bucket and sends me their canned gun control response.

It certainly doesn’t help that the (nonresident IMO) college students sway my districts vote to reliably left wing democrat.

I know it feels like it's falling on deaf ears - but it's worth it to keep contacting them. Otherwise, they tell everyone "well I never hear from anyone except people who want gun safety regulations", or whatever the language of the month is.

I have Jamie Becker-Finn and Jason Isaacson as my Representative and State Senator, respectively. Neither supports gun rights and are both big gun control proponents. I still contact them regularly.

Don't let up the pressure, even if you think it's falling on deaf ears.

b

I used to think that way also, until one came by for door to door canvassing.

I told them I had written, and was told no one had. She said all the letters supported her position.

I think their staff folks edit what goes up the chain, and that they have enough hubris to believe no one disagrees with them.
crbutler

Postby Jackpine Savage on Thu May 09, 2019 4:10 pm

crbutler wrote:I used to think that way also, until one came by for door to door canvassing.

I told them I had written, and was told no one had. She said all the letters supported her position.

I think their staff folks edit what goes up the chain, and that they have enough hubris to believe no one disagrees with them.

Or, they just lie without conscience.
Jackpine Savage

Postby Ghost on Thu May 09, 2019 4:59 pm

Jackpine Savage wrote:
crbutler wrote:I used to think that way also, until one came by for door to door canvassing.

Or, they just lie without conscience.

I don’t like what you like therefore, you are wrong and wrong opinions don’t count
Ghost

Postby sansooshooter on Thu May 09, 2019 5:20 pm

crbutler wrote:I will admit that I’ve given up on writing my reps.

Every response I get is to tell me how glad they are that I got a hold of them and that they are glad to continue to fight for more gun control with my support.

In other words, their left wing staff throws it in the gun control bucket and sends me their canned gun control response.

It certainly doesn’t help that the (nonresident IMO) college students sway my districts vote to reliably left wing democrat.

I have got those reply's too.
At the state level request the rep calls you back . I have never had a hard time contacting them on a personal level .
But both of my reps are Republicans and pro gun .
I have had democrat reps call me back too . A couple of years ago, I had several conversations with one dem rep on gun control . Don't remember his name .

I have had staffers ask if I am a resident of the reps district ? I answer that it will be a state wide law and it will affect me .
I realize some could care less what we want or believe . Money and numbers are all that matters to most politicians !
Doing nothing will not stop them from coming back year after year . I would rather make a few calls and write a few emails every spring .
Its our only shot .
sansooshooter

Postby andrewP on Fri May 10, 2019 6:58 pm

I recently wrote to my representative to inform him that he had voted incorrectly at every chance he got this year, and gave some examples of why I thought his votes were incorrect. No reply so far, but given that he's DFL and has a history of voting for gun control regulations, I expect that if I get a reply at all, it will be along the lines of "thanks for contacting me - I'll continue fighting for common sense gun reform since that's what everybody wants." :(
andrewP

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri May 10, 2019 9:53 pm

andrewP wrote:I recently wrote to my representative to inform him that he had voted incorrectly at every chance he got this year, and gave some examples of why I thought his votes were incorrect. No reply so far, but given that he's DFL and has a history of voting for gun control regulations, I expect that if I get a reply at all, it will be along the lines of "thanks for contacting me - I'll continue fighting for common sense gun reform since that's what everybody wants." :(

Just respond with I will continue to vote against you in every election and tell everyone I know that you do not believe in the constitution.
Holland&Holland

Postby andrewP on Sat May 11, 2019 3:35 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Just respond with I will continue to vote against you in every election and tell everyone I know that you do not believe in the constitution.

I left out the bit about the constitution, but my initial email did include a line about feeling obligated to vote against him even if I dislike his opponents' positions on other issues unless he changes his ways, so yeah, I'm already on that path.
andrewP

Postby yukonjasper on Tue May 14, 2019 7:05 am

I think it is too late once they get into office. A much more vigorous effort should be put into backing and electing candidates who best reflect your views.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue May 14, 2019 9:25 pm

yukonjasper wrote:I think it is too late once they get into office. A much more vigorous effort should be put into backing and electing candidates who best reflect your views.

Yes but if you live in a district full of morons you should not give up.
Holland&Holland

Postby andrewP on Wed May 15, 2019 5:10 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
yukonjasper wrote:I think it is too late once they get into office. A much more vigorous effort should be put into backing and electing candidates who best reflect your views.

That's pretty tough when you can't see how your efforts achieve anything. I vote in every election, and I keep expressing my opinion to my representative, but I still find myself represented by someone who goes against my wishes with every vote he makes on gun issues. I'm basically left hoping that representatives from other districts can get it right. :(
andrewP

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed May 15, 2019 7:35 am

I understand the feeling.
Holland&Holland

Postby sansooshooter on Wed May 15, 2019 9:13 am

andrewP wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

That's pretty tough when you can't see how your efforts achieve anything. I vote in every election, and I keep expressing my opinion to my representative, but I still find myself represented by someone who goes against my wishes with every vote he makes on gun issues. I'm basically left hoping that representatives from other districts can get it right. :(

I know how you feel . After all both our U.S. senators are anti gun and I have received letters from both .
Telling me they are proud to continue the fight against the 2nd Amendment .
I pretty much see democrats as the same old party of slavery that they have always been .
Every thing they propose is a incremental step towards more enslavement . From taxes to personal liberty to every facet of your day to day life .
They want to legislate us in to slavery to their will and their goals .
sansooshooter

Postby sansooshooter on Wed May 15, 2019 10:06 am

Are they waiting till the last day for the public safety bill ?
sansooshooter

Postby bstrawse on Wed May 15, 2019 10:21 am

sansooshooter wrote:Are they waiting till the last day for the public safety bill ?

The gun control provisions were debated yesterday in Conference Committee and died in committee.

They can still make an attempt later in conference committee or they can make an attempt on the floor, but we believe it's very unlikely they will do so - and even more unlikely that they will pass.

Not a single GOP legislator voted in favor.

Rob Doar, our political director, and Brian Gosch, the NRA Lobbyist for MN - testified against the bills.

It's not over until it's over - the gavel will fall at 11:59PM on Monday, May 20th.

b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

PreviousNext

Return to Politics