Bill to remove SBR’s from registry introduced

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: Bill to remove SBR’s from registry introduced

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:43 am

Touch it? Probably lots. Do something with it probably one. They are government workers after all.
Holland&Holland

Postby Lumpy on Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:01 pm

Grayskies wrote:I get there are "rules" about what is and what is not a SBR, I just don't see functional differences between pistols, riffles, and shotguns.

Why is this such a big deal with the government?
The 1934 NFA almost perfectly tracks what Hollywood depicted in crime movies: the mobster's Tommy gun and other full-auto firearms, the assassin's silenced pistol, the hold-up artist's sawed-off long gun hidden under a coat. The Roosevelt administration had wanted more sweeping gun bans but couldn't get them; so it took advantage of the moral panic over "gangsters" and "outlaws" to get a punitive tax stamp enacted. The same explanation goes for why spring-loaded ("switchblade") knives are illegal when their functional difference from other knives is negligible.
Lumpy

Postby Grayskies on Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:55 pm

Lumpy wrote:
Grayskies wrote:I get there are "rules" about what is and what is not a SBR, I just don't see functional differences between pistols, riffles, and shotguns.

The 1934 NFA almost perfectly tracks what Hollywood depicted in crime movies: the mobster's Tommy gun and other full-auto firearms, the assassin's silenced pistol, the hold-up artist's sawed-off long gun hidden under a coat. The Roosevelt administration had wanted more sweeping gun bans but couldn't get them; so it took advantage of the moral panic over "gangsters" and "outlaws" to get a punitive tax stamp enacted. The same explanation goes for why spring-loaded ("switchblade") knives are illegal when their functional difference from other knives is negligible.

Be nice if people understood movies are not real.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Ghost on Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:15 am

Grayskies wrote:
Lumpy wrote:

Be nice if people understood movies are not real.

What!!!!
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:23 am

Ghost wrote:
Grayskies wrote:Be nice if people understood movies are not real.

What!!!!

You mean the light saber I have on order is not real?
Holland&Holland

Postby Grayskies on Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:35 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Ghost wrote:
Grayskies wrote:Be nice if people understood movies are not real.

What!!!!

You mean the light saber I have on order is not real?

Well, ok, they are real, but not the blasters!

And the rumors about Chewbacca transitioning to female are definitely false!
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Ghost on Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:00 pm

Grayskies wrote:And the rumors about Chewbacca transitioning to female are definitely false!

You sure?

Ghost

Postby LarryFlew on Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:14 pm

Ghost wrote:
Grayskies wrote:And the rumors about Chewbacca transitioning to female are definitely false!

You sure?

WHERE'S THAT LIKE BUTTON AGAIN?
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby BigBlue on Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:53 pm

Ghost wrote:

You sure?

Which one is supposed to be female? Not seeing it.
BigBlue

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:53 pm

Wookies
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:40 pm

BigBlue wrote:
Ghost wrote:

You sure?

Which one is supposed to be female? Not seeing it.

Only one claims to be
Ghost

Postby daleamn on Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:55 pm

Pardon me for being a little slow/dense here but if they got rid of the short barrel rifle rule would that allow me to put a shoulder stock on a handgun?

NOT being allowed to put a shoulder stock on a handgun has always seemed to be a ridiculous restriction. Putting a shoulder stock on a handgun would be a very useful thing and not at ALL useful for nefarious stuff.

And I too think the restriction on suppressors is stupid. For heaven sakes, some EUROPEANS REQUIRE suppressors at some of their ranges. And if the EUROPEANS like it how come our lefties aren't falling all over themselves to implement it here?

And speaking of Europeans...
Here's a couple of Youtube video clips about guns in Switzerland. One of the Daily Show jerks goes to Switzerland and looks into why they have guns and almost no murders while we have guns and "lots" of murders. The whole goal of the videos is to show how STUPID Americans are compared to the "civilized" Swiss. In my opinion he almost does us a favor. 99.9% of the stuff he praises the Swiss for are done on a regular bases by responsible gun owners in the U.S. And by responsible gun owners I mean the 99.99% of us who own guns. (Just reminds me of the poster that says, "Law abiding Americans own about 300 million guns and about a BILLION rounds of ammunition. Trust us. If we were the problem you'd know about it."

The Daily Show idiot videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjlT4BME2aE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgYJ5V2HYy4

The poster I like:
https://www.carolinashootersclub.com/th ... it.231640/
daleamn

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:49 pm

I was in Sweden last summer. Suppressor were an over the counter item. Ammo was not.
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:56 am

Abolishing the Second Amendment is the most effective "SILENCER".
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:35 am

daleamn wrote:Pardon me for being a little slow/dense here but if they got rid of the short barrel rifle rule would that allow me to put a shoulder stock on a handgun?

NOT being allowed to put a shoulder stock on a handgun has always seemed to be a ridiculous restriction. Putting a shoulder stock on a handgun would be a very useful thing and not at ALL useful for nefarious stuff.

And I too think the restriction on suppressors is stupid. For heaven sakes, some EUROPEANS REQUIRE suppressors at some of their ranges. And if the EUROPEANS like it how come our lefties aren't falling all over themselves to implement it here?

And speaking of Europeans...
Here's a couple of Youtube video clips about guns in Switzerland. One of the Daily Show jerks goes to Switzerland and looks into why they have guns and almost no murders while we have guns and "lots" of murders. The whole goal of the videos is to show how STUPID Americans are compared to the "civilized" Swiss. In my opinion he almost does us a favor. 99.9% of the stuff he praises the Swiss for are done on a regular bases by responsible gun owners in the U.S. And by responsible gun owners I mean the 99.99% of us who own guns. (Just reminds me of the poster that says, "Law abiding Americans own about 300 million guns and about a BILLION rounds of ammunition. Trust us. If we were the problem you'd know about it."

The Daily Show idiot videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjlT4BME2aE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgYJ5V2HYy4

The poster I like:
https://www.carolinashootersclub.com/th ... it.231640/

Yes, if they abolish SBRs as part of the NFA then you can put shoulder stocks on your handguns.
Holland&Holland

PreviousNext

Return to Politics