November 2020 dilemma

Firearms related political discussion forum

November 2020 dilemma

Postby Lumpy on Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:48 pm

A Democratic candidate guaranteed to support gun control... or Donald Trump. I voted Trump in 2016 out of repugnance for Hillary Clinton and because I was confident Trump was at worst a harmless fool. Now I'll still vote Trump, but only because (1) for the sake of any SCOTUS justices he might pick, and (2) because at this point it's probably a moot protest vote anyway. I wish like hell Donald hadn't been so stupidly malfeasant- and more of an active friend of gun rights while I'm wishing.

If the Dems repeat Virginia at the federal level (both houses and executive all Dem), gun rights in America are doomed. Will it really come down to a Prohibition- type mass scofflaw resistance against gun control, with the law entirely against us, and gun owners facing hard time locked in cages for possessing "assault weapons" and "high" (=what the police carry) capacity magazines?

Dammit, the Left's fifty-years and counting plan to eliminate the rtkaba from America is slowly winning, despite a modestly successful pushback from 1995-2015. I'm despondent.
Lumpy

Re: November 2020 dilemma

Postby MJY65 on Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:13 pm

Not really a dilemma for me. Trump is a clown, but he kept Hillary out of the White House, tipped the balance in the SC and isn't actively coming after guns. Compared to the D alternatives, he's fantastic.
MJY65

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:45 pm

Um, how was he malfeasant?
Holland&Holland

Postby BigDog58 on Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:15 am

MJY65 wrote:Not really a dilemma for me. Trump is a clown, but he kept Hillary out of the White House, tipped the balance in the SC and isn't actively coming after guns. Compared to the D alternatives, he's fantastic.

:iagree:

Trump 2020 M-F'er.jpg
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Jackpine Savage on Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:20 am

Holland&Holland wrote:Um, how was he malfeasant?

+1

I hope Lumpy, you're not forming your opinion from Schiff for brains and the MSM.
Jackpine Savage

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:41 am

Easy to be fooled into confusion. Trump's personal style is something to scratch your head about, but he never aspired to be a politician. He's about getting it done. That's a trait I haven't see in a conservative politician since Reagan and probably not as strong back then. No question in my mind.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby xd ED on Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:12 am

yukonjasper wrote:Easy to be fooled into confusion. Trump's personal style is something to scratch your head about, but he never aspired to be a politician. He's about getting it done. That's a trait I haven't see in a conservative politician since Reagan and probably not as strong back then. No question in my mind.

Well said.

In 2016 I felt forced to vote for Trump due to the opposition.
Today, I support him and look forward to his reelection.
I am at a loss to suggest who might make a better President.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby MJY65 on Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:35 am

xd ED wrote:I am at a loss to suggest who might make a better President.

It will be interesting to see who is on the ticket in 2024. Will the party revert back to legacy players, or continue down the Trump lane?
MJY65

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:37 am

MJY65 wrote:
xd ED wrote:I am at a loss to suggest who might make a better President.

It will be interesting to see who is on the ticket in 2024. Will the party revert back to legacy players, or continue down the Trump lane?

If history is any indicator, the party will revert back to the same old worn out legacy players.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby BigBlue on Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:23 pm

To me it is not a very complicated decision. All other options are far inferior (and more dangerous to America) so there is only one choice. I know some folks like to ridicule the lack of principle-ness with choosing the least bad of bad options but I'm a realist. Trump did what he said with the SC and that was enough of a win for me to outweigh the rest of the crap.
BigBlue

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:26 pm

Was listening to a Buck Sexton podcast and he had a segment on who the future leaders were for each party. AOC was used as an example of the Democratic party and Crenshaw was the pick on the GOP side. The contrast was stark.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby atomic41 on Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:08 pm

No dilemma here. I voted Trump in '16 to throw a pitbull in the WH, I didn't even like him. Since then he has far exceeded my expectations and proven himself the greatest POTUS in modern history. He has survived multiple coup attempts, reduced war, boosted the economy, fixing trade imbalances, not bowing to the rest of the world, (FU UN!) is draining the swamp, building a wall, and honoring all of his promises. Hell, I actually like the guy now!
atomic41

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:08 pm

:iagree: :bravo:
atomic41 wrote:No dilemma here. I voted Trump in '16 to throw a pitbull in the WH, I didn't even like him. Since then he has far exceeded my expectations and proven himself the greatest POTUS in modern history. He has survived multiple coup attempts, reduced war, boosted the economy, fixing trade imbalances, not bowing to the rest of the world, (FU UN!) is draining the swamp, building a wall, and honoring all of his promises. Hell, I actually like the guy now!
Bearcatrp

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:31 pm

atomic41 wrote:No dilemma here. I voted Trump in '16 to throw a pitbull in the WH, I didn't even like him. Since then he has far exceeded my expectations and proven himself the greatest POTUS in modern history. He has survived multiple coup attempts, reduced war, boosted the economy, fixing trade imbalances, not bowing to the rest of the world, (FU UN!) is draining the swamp, building a wall, and honoring all of his promises. Hell, I actually like the guy now!

Well said
Holland&Holland

Postby Lumpy on Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:44 pm

I didn't expect that Trump would actually be impeached but I feared the impeachment process would irretrievably weaken him politically. I'm pleasantly surprised how strong he's come back, especially the huge middle finger to the Democrats that the State of the Union was.
Lumpy

Next

Return to Politics