Timeline of a Biden "assault weapon" ban

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: Timeline of a Biden "assault weapon" ban

Postby photogpat on Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:00 pm

If you can source one now for a reasonable price...I’d buy it before everyone freaks out again in January after the inauguration.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Bearcatrp on Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:34 pm

photogpat wrote:If you can source one now for a reasonable price...I’d buy it before everyone freaks out again in January after the inauguration.

Plus have ammo or all the reloading materials for what your buying.
Bearcatrp

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:51 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:
photogpat wrote:If you can source one now for a reasonable price...I’d buy it before everyone freaks out again in January after the inauguration.

Plus have ammo or all the reloading materials for what your buying.

It's already too late for buying ammo or reloading supplies.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Lumpy on Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:02 pm

Okay, here's where I'm at: I'm unemployed, and due to health problems I can't say when exactly I'll ever be employed again. I'd be up Excrement Creek if it hadn't been for the thousands of dollars of stimulus money that got added onto my unemployment checks, which are now used up. Nonetheless, if Biden & Co. manage by executive order or legislation to ban "assault weapons", I'm willing to spend ~$1000 to buy one just to say "molṑn labé". But if it doesn't actually happen, I can't justify spending the money on what would for my situation be a safe queen. Hell, with my bad arms I'm not sure I could currently shoulder the thing. If we got one more $1200 check I'd buy the gun now, but that doesn't look likely at this point. Really, most non-gun owners would consider me nuts to even be considering it; it's just I feel that passionate about the issue.
Lumpy

Postby andrewP on Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:17 pm

Lumpy wrote:Hell, with my bad arms I'm not sure I could currently shoulder the thing. If we got one more $1200 check I'd buy the gun now, but that doesn't look likely at this point. Really, most non-gun owners would consider me nuts to even be considering it; it's just I feel that passionate about the issue.

Would you spend $1K on a bike you probably couldn't ride, a car you probably couldn't drive, golf clubs you probably couldn't swing, etc.? As much as I agree that there's something of a "stick it to the man" issue here, even this gun owner tends toward thinking it's not the best idea if your physical ability to use the rifle is questionable.
andrewP

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:50 pm

Lumpy wrote:Okay, here's where I'm at: I'm unemployed, and due to health problems I can't say when exactly I'll ever be employed again. I'd be up Excrement Creek if it hadn't been for the thousands of dollars of stimulus money that got added onto my unemployment checks, which are now used up. Nonetheless, if Biden & Co. manage by executive order or legislation to ban "assault weapons", I'm willing to spend ~$1000 to buy one just to say "molṑn labé". But if it doesn't actually happen, I can't justify spending the money on what would for my situation be a safe queen. Hell, with my bad arms I'm not sure I could currently shoulder the thing. If we got one more $1200 check I'd buy the gun now, but that doesn't look likely at this point. Really, most non-gun owners would consider me nuts to even be considering it; it's just I feel that passionate about the issue.

Buy yourself a lower receiver. I think they can still be had at reasonable rates. That's the part that's going to be the hardest to find when the e'ffery starts.

The other parts should be easier to find if need be.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:00 pm

andrewP wrote:
Lumpy wrote:Hell, with my bad arms I'm not sure I could currently shoulder the thing. If we got one more $1200 check I'd buy the gun now, but that doesn't look likely at this point. Really, most non-gun owners would consider me nuts to even be considering it; it's just I feel that passionate about the issue.

Would you spend $1K on a bike you probably couldn't ride, a car you probably couldn't drive, golf clubs you probably couldn't swing, etc.? As much as I agree that there's something of a "stick it to the man" issue here, even this gun owner tends toward thinking it's not the best idea if your physical ability to use the rifle is questionable.

Bikes are probably not good troop transports and golf clubs are pretty much worthless even to those who golf. A tool to stop tyranny should not be compared to either.
Holland&Holland

Postby Bearcatrp on Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:46 am

What caliber are you thinking of buying? You can put together a 300BO under 500 bucks. If you need lighter, a semi auto 22LR like the S&W 15-22 could work for you. Its half plastic and real lite. Even a Ruger charger in 22LR could work.
Bearcatrp

Postby andrewP on Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:47 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Bikes are probably not good troop transports and golf clubs are pretty much worthless even to those who golf. A tool to stop tyranny should not be compared to either.

The comparisons were simply to other objects which one might theoretically spend significant money on. Even if you view an AR as a "tool to stop tyranny," if you can't physically use it, it's useless and therefore not worth spending money on.
andrewP

Postby Lumpy on Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:24 pm

andrewP wrote:

Very true, which is why I haven't done it already. I hope I'm going to recover the full use of my arms post-surgery but at six months I'm starting to worry. The surgeon who worked on my spine thinks everything is fine and that I just need rehab exercise, but the radiologist who did the imaging disagrees. I'm scheduling a third opinion.

If wishes were fishes, I'd get a pistol AR in .300BO.
Lumpy

Postby Bearcatrp on Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:37 pm

Can’t handle the recoil anymore due to back surgeries. 300 BO is a good choice for a pistol or rifle. Small recoil. Lighter than others. I still have my 12.5 inch 308 AR but don’t shoot it much. My 300 BO’s are so much lighter to shoot. Good 300 yards or less rifle.
Last edited by Bearcatrp on Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bearcatrp

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:06 pm

andrewP wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:Bikes are probably not good troop transports and golf clubs are pretty much worthless even to those who golf. A tool to stop tyranny should not be compared to either.

The comparisons were simply to other objects which one might theoretically spend significant money on. Even if you view an AR as a "tool to stop tyranny," if you can't physically use it, it's useless and therefore not worth spending money on.

If you have one functional finger, you can use it.
Holland&Holland

Postby andrewP on Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:16 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:If you have one functional finger, you can use it.

My assessment of that was based entirely on Lumpy's own statement that he doubted his ability to use it.
andrewP

Postby andrewP on Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:18 pm

Lumpy wrote:Very true, which is why I haven't done it already. I hope I'm going to recover the full use of my arms post-surgery but at six months I'm starting to worry. The surgeon who worked on my spine thinks everything is fine and that I just need rehab exercise, but the radiologist who did the imaging disagrees. I'm scheduling a third opinion.

I'm sure I'm not alone here in hoping that you recover full function. Best of luck with the third opinion.
andrewP

Previous

Return to Politics