CC Permits - Why does MN not recognize WI or IA?

Firearms related political discussion forum

CC Permits - Why does MN not recognize WI or IA?

Postby warrlac on Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:59 pm

Does anyone know why IA and WI recognize the MN Concealed Carry Permit but Minnesota does not recognize theirs?

Some states recognize with restrictions (permitted person must be age 21, not 18 as in his/her home state, etc.)

Just wondering why?

Thanks!
warrlac

Re: CC Permits - Why does MN not recognize WI or IA?

Postby xd ED on Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:15 pm

I cannot speak to the Iowa permit requirements, but because Wisconsin does not have a live fire qualification, MN does not recognize their permit.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby jdege on Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:27 pm

xd ED wrote:I cannot speak to the Iowa permit requirements, but because Wisconsin does not have a live fire qualification, MN does not recognize their permit.

Which requirement is not justified by any reasonable interpretation of the statute.

I remember taking to a representative of Stanek's campaign, a few years ago, about why the gun community didn't think better of him.

We remember that he was responsible for for the intentionally misconstrued interpretation of the reciprocity language, when we first passed shall-issue.
jdege

Postby xd ED on Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:54 pm

jdege wrote:
xd ED wrote:I cannot speak to the Iowa permit requirements, but because Wisconsin does not have a live fire qualification, MN does not recognize their permit.

Which requirement is not justified by any reasonable interpretation of the statute.

I remember taking to a representative of Stanek's campaign, a few years ago, about why the gun community didn't think better of him.

We remember that he was responsible for for the intentionally misconstrued interpretation of the reciprocity language, when we first passed shall-issue.

MN does not observe reciprocity with other states - ie: the practice of recognizing another state's permit based on that state recognizing MN's permit.
If another state's requirements meet or exceed those of MN, then MN is to recognize their permit.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby jdege on Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:01 pm

Subd. 16.Recognition of permits from other states.

(a) The commissioner must annually establish and publish a list of other states that have laws governing the issuance of permits to carry weapons that are not similar to this section.

"Laws governing the insurance of permits that are not similar to this section."
jdege

Postby OldmanFCSA on Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:59 pm

When I renewed my license, I had to take the full-course as my license had expired.

I took it in St Croix Falls, WI with both Wisconsin and Minnesota courses covered, At the live fire session, both states requirements were covered.

After applying, I received the non-resident Minnesota license and the Wisconsin in-state license, as I live near Osceola Wisconsin now (since May 2012).

4 days for MN license.
7 days for WI license, but I was on vacation when it arrived.
OldmanFCSA

Postby warrlac on Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:05 pm

So, some believe that it was Stanek who botched the reciprocity with WI and IA? Never let something simple like reciprocity with you neighbor get in the way of royally messing it up! Unbelievable.

jdege wrote:

warrlac

Postby xd ED on Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:48 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:

When I renewed my license, I had to take the full-course as my license had expired.

I took it in St Croix Falls, WI with both Wisconsin and Minnesota courses covered, At the live fire session, both states requirements were covered.

After applying, I received the non-resident Minnesota license and the Wisconsin in-state license, as I live near Osceola Wisconsin now (since May 2012).

4 days for MN license.
7 days for WI license, but I was on vacation when it arrived.

I just read up on the WIS requirements.
https://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/conceal-carry/training-requirements
Looks straight forward to get that permit.
A hunter safety cert. qualifies as evidence of training, as does mil. LE. or security training. also another state's current, or expired permit.
Once you have a WIS permit, there is no further training needed to renew.
They got the price closer to right: $22
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby jdege on Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:54 pm

warrlac wrote:So, some believe that it was Stanek who botched the reciprocity with WI and IA? Never let something simple like reciprocity with you neighbor get in the way of royally messing it up! Unbelievable.

Stanek was Commissioner of Public Safety, at the time. It was his responsibility.
jdege

Postby xd ED on Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:58 pm

jdege wrote:
warrlac wrote:So, some believe that it was Stanek who botched the reciprocity with WI and IA? Never let something simple like reciprocity with you neighbor get in the way of royally messing it up! Unbelievable.

Stanek was Commissioner of Public Safety, at the time. It was his responsibility.

I'm not familiar with the issue.
What was botched?
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby LarryFlew on Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:17 pm

xd ED wrote:
I just read up on the WIS requirements.
https://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/conceal-carry/training-requirements
Looks straight forward to get that permit.
A hunter safety cert. qualifies as evidence of training, as does mil. LE. or security training. also another state's current, or expired permit.
Once you have a WIS permit, there is no further training needed to renew.
They got the price closer to right: $22

Brother in law from Eau Claire said he just had a certified copy of his DD214 to get his WI permit.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby jdege on Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:18 pm

xd ED wrote:
jdege wrote:

I'm not familiar with the issue.
What was botched?

The statute was written to require the Department of Public Safety to recognize all permits except those few who did not have issuance laws that were not "substantially similar" to Minnesota's.

DPS invented rules that managed to not recognize permits from almost all states, for issues that had nothing to do with the laws regarding permit issuance.
jdege

Postby xd ED on Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:12 pm

jdege wrote:
The statute was written to require the Department of Public Safety to recognize all permits except those few who did not have issuance laws that were not "substantially similar" to Minnesota's.

DPS invented rules that managed to not recognize permits from almost all states, for issues that had nothing to do with the laws regarding permit issuance.

I believe that issue got more or less rectified when legislation changed the wording, bringing greater force to bear on the DPS comish to do the right thing.

With regard to any interpretation, I can't see how that would have had any effect on accepting a WIS permit in MN.
The lack of WIS's range qualification can be viewed as a big difference, however one feels about it being part of the requirements.
It is a matter of objectively comparing the states' requirements.
And again, it needs to be pointed out: that is not an issue of reciprocity, as Minnesota does not do reciprocity.

The way the law was crafted directs the DPS Comm. to compare other states' requirements, and approve those that qualify. with no regard as to how that state might view MN's permit requirements.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:12 am

So the right of the people should be infringed? Sounds about right.
Holland&Holland

Return to Politics