Firearms related political discussion forum

judge Ketanji Brown Janckso

Postby BuckKlier on Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:36 pm

Where does she stand on gun rights?
BuckKlier

Re: judge Ketanji Brown Janckso

Postby jdege on Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:02 pm

http://www.mnguntalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=64431

During her consideration for lower courts, she said that as a lower court judge she'd be bound to follow precedent as established by SCOTUS:

https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Brown%2520Jackson%2520Responses1.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjFyf-h3Jv2AhWOnWoFHbiQCKYQFnoECDMQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2QlQ-A9F86KwMnZx5BGSgO

Does the right to own a firearm receive less protection than the other individual rights specifically enumerated in the Constitution? RESPONSE: The Supreme Court has held that the Second Amendment confers “an individual right to keep and bear arms.” Heller, 554 U.S. at 595. The Court has also clarified that the individual constitutional right to keep and bear arms is “not unlimited, just as the First Amendment’s right of free speech [is] not[.]” Id. To my knowledge, neither the Supreme Court nor the D.C. Circuit has concluded that the right to own a firearm receives less protection than the other individual rights that are specifically enumerated in the Constitution. If confirmed, I will abide by Heller, McDonald, and any other Supreme Court and D.C. Circuit precedent that defines the scope of protections that the Second Amendment guarantees.

From what I can find, she's ruled in cases that touched the Second only twice:

And don't see either of them as problematic.
jdege

Re: judge Ketanji Brown Janckso

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:06 pm

Elections have consequences.
Holland&Holland

Return to Politics