Is it just me? Or are you worried too?

Firearms related political discussion forum

Is it just me? Or are you worried too?

Postby warrlac on Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:04 pm

I seldom start out posts with the above sort of subject, but I am extremely concerned about what is happening in DC regarding firearms ownership, additional restrictions and the many unconstitutional parts of proposed legislation that are now being proposed.

I've been very happy with our grassroots pro-gun owner group here in Minnesota. We have been able to stop stupid bills that restrict rights of lawful gun owners and are even chipping away at some pro-gun owner bills (rifle deer hunting statewide for example). Even so, it seems like we are just sitting by helplessly while our deep blue federal legislators send us down the river to an ever more authoritarian government and restricted society (except for criminals of course).

Save a skeleton crew in Fairfax, VA., Letitia James with the help of Wayne LaPierre have effectively neutered a once powerful organization called the NRA. I have tried very hard to stay positive about the NRA but it is getting harder and harder with each passing day.

Write your state legislator. CHECK
    Call your state Legislator CHECK
    Write your Congresswoman CHECK
    Write your State Senator CHECK

Responses (when received ) are simply platitudes while they simply follow the DFL/DNC party platform to a tee.

Very sad. Hopefully we are at least working to insure a fair election in November...
warrlac

Re: Is it just me? Or are you worried too?

Postby Lumpy on Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:18 pm

News on the gun front is mixed. Yes there is likely to be a federal gun control bill; but if you look at the particulars it's very, very weak compared to the wish list of gun control measures the left has been agitating for for years. Between what the electorate will stand for and what judicial review would probably strike down, sweeping gun restrictions are unlikely. Constitutional carry will probably proceed once the latest moral panic recedes, and the SCOTUS is very likely to strike down May Issue when they finally rule on that current suit.
Lumpy

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:49 pm

warrlac wrote:I seldom start out posts with the above sort of subject, but I am extremely concerned about what is happening in DC regarding firearms ownership, additional restrictions and the many unconstitutional parts of proposed legislation that are now being proposed.

I've been very happy with our grassroots pro-gun owner group here in Minnesota. We have been able to stop stupid bills that restrict rights of lawful gun owners and are even chipping away at some pro-gun owner bills (rifle deer hunting statewide for example). Even so, it seems like we are just sitting by helplessly while our deep blue federal legislators send us down the river to an ever more authoritarian government and restricted society (except for criminals of course).

Save a skeleton crew in Fairfax, VA., Letitia James with the help of Wayne LaPierre have effectively neutered a once powerful organization called the NRA. I have tried very hard to stay positive about the NRA but it is getting harder and harder with each passing day.

Write your state legislator. CHECK
    Call your state Legislator CHECK
    Write your Congresswoman CHECK
    Write your State Senator CHECK

Responses (when received ) are simply platitudes while they simply follow the DFL/DNC party platform to a tee.

Very sad. Hopefully we are at least working to insure a fair election in November...

I think your chances of a fair election are not even as good as this thing not passing,
Holland&Holland

Postby warrlac on Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:55 pm

So, a Bi-partisan coalition is working to produce a bill in the US Senate that further restricts and limits lawful gun ownership. Who are the senate republicans who support removing constitutional rights from US citizens without being charged with any crime? Why would anyone vote for them again?

I thought there was a thing called the Bill of Rights that said something about that? Oh, and our system of justice...?

Also isn't there something about the the government being barred from unreasonable search and seizure of an individual or their private property.
warrlac

Postby bstrawse on Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:01 pm

Nationally, we recommend joining and following the Firearms Policy Coalition. We've been working with them and the Second Amendment Foundation on a number of legal fronts (the SCOTUS case that should come down at any point) and the 18-20 carry case here in Minnesota. And there will be more soon ;)

Read our Brief w/ FPC and others in NYSRPA v. Bruen here: https://gunowners.mn/our-programs/legal ... eme-court/

Read about the 18-20 carry case here in MN here: https://gunowners.mn/our-programs/legal ... arry-case/

I'm not sure where this gun bill is headed in DC - we should see the full text soon, and I think it's likely the GOP is going to feel a lot of heat over this bill from our side of the issue. The NRA still wields a lot of clout, but nowhere near as much clout as they did 10-15 years ago.

We're going to keep holding the line here in Minnesota and hopefully flip the House back to a pro-gun majority this fall.

Bryan
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Return to Politics