commerce dept soliciting holster sales information

Firearms related political discussion forum

Postby LarryFlew on Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:51 pm

Why is the Department of Commerce Asking for Sales Records from Holster Companies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoOjddezwxI
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Re: commerce dept soliciting holster sales information

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:00 pm

Sneaky sneaky. ..
Holland&Holland

Postby Sorcerer on Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:18 am

The uninformed don’t understand two things. #1 felons and gang bangers as a general rule don’t use holster’s. Having a holster is a indirect admission of gun possession. #2 legal gun owners on average have 3.3 holsters per hand gun, not including the one they are actually using. As they say in data collection, garbage in garage out.
Sorcerer

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:07 am

Sorcerer wrote:The uninformed don’t understand two things. #1 felons and gang bangers as a general rule don’t use holster’s. Having a holster is a indirect admission of gun possession. #2 legal gun owners on average have 3.3 holsters per hand gun, not including the one they are actually using. As they say in data collection, garbage in garage out.

Wait, only 3.3 per?
Holland&Holland

Postby crbutler on Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:29 pm

Sorcerer wrote:The uninformed don’t understand two things. #1 felons and gang bangers as a general rule don’t use holster’s. Having a holster is a indirect admission of gun possession. #2 legal gun owners on average have 3.3 holsters per hand gun, not including the one they are actually using. As they say in data collection, garbage in garage out.

You pulled that out of where?

The folks who make holsters would be a much bigger business community than the gunmakers if this was true, and the percentage of gun stores devoted to holsters would dwarf guns if true as well.

I don’t agree with trying to get that information by the feds, but I’ve got a carry permit and shoot quite a bit of handgun competition. I can tell you that neither I nor anyone I know well has even approaching 1 holster per firearm owned.
crbutler

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:53 pm

crbutler wrote:

The folks who make holsters would be a much bigger business community than the gunmakers if this was true, and the percentage of gun stores devoted to holsters would dwarf guns if true as well.

I don’t agree with trying to get that information by the feds, but I’ve got a carry permit and shoot quite a bit of handgun competition. I can tell you that neither I nor anyone I know well has even approaching 1 holster per firearm owned.

Per dedicated carry gun I do think this is accurate maybe even light.
Holland&Holland

Postby crbutler on Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:48 pm

Per carry gun…

How many guns do you have total…. Not carry, total. Long arms, too… they are guns.

How many holsters total?

I suspect most CCW holders have 1 or 2 (because most don’t carry regularly…) but have no data on what it would be.
crbutler

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:26 pm

crbutler wrote:Per carry gun…

How many guns do you have total…. Not carry, total. Long arms, too… they are guns.

How many holsters total?

I suspect most CCW holders have 1 or 2 (because most don’t carry regularly…) but have no data on what it would be.

Usually I am the one to get caught up in semantics ;)
Holland&Holland

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:19 pm

3.3 holsters per handgun - is that accounting for a back-up gun or in case of guns like 1911s compatibility between multiple guns? ;)
gun_fan111v2

Postby jdege on Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:48 am

gun_fan111v2 wrote:3.3 holsters per handgun - is that accounting for a back-up gun or in case of guns like 1911s compatibility between multiple guns? ;)

I'd thought he was just talking about the "drawer of holsters" - all of the holsters you've tried that didn't really work.
jdege

Postby Sorcerer on Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:41 am

jdege wrote:
gun_fan111v2 wrote:3.3 holsters per handgun - is that accounting for a back-up gun or in case of guns like 1911s compatibility between multiple guns? ;)

I'd thought he was just talking about the "drawer of holsters" - all of the holsters you've tried that didn't really work.

BINGO
Sorcerer

Postby Sorcerer on Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:45 am

crbutler wrote:

Many of the gun stores I frequent have more handgun holsters to choose from than handguns.
Sorcerer

Postby Sorcerer on Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:47 am

How many holsters total?

I don’t believe long guns have holsters. Scabbards maybe.
Sorcerer

Postby crbutler on Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:33 am

Sorcerer wrote:

How many holsters total?

Your initial statement was to the effect that there are 4.3 holsters per firearm (law abiding gun owners) and then you went on about garbage in, garbage out.

There are over 300,000,000 firearms estimated to be in public ownership in this country… that would be 1.2+ BILLION holsters lying around.

You claim there are that many holsters. Where did your stat come from, or are you just like the antis and make s#%t up when it suits you?

Do I have a drawer full of them? Kind of. I have a couple of plastic totes full. Yes, I’m atypical, I still have way more guns than holsters, cases, slings, mag carriers combined by dint of having a bunch.

Do I feel that the regulators are trying to do an end around for registration type behavior? Yes. Is it wrong? Yes.

As I recall, you are one of the folks that refer to a certain subset of legal gun owners as “Fudds”… how many holsters does a duck hunter typically have? Most duck hunters have multiple shotguns… and there are more duck hunters than CCW’s, even though there is probably a substantial overlap between the two.

Are you helping things by making up stats?

I don’t think so.
crbutler

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:01 pm

crbutler wrote:
Sorcerer wrote:

How many holsters total?

Your initial statement was to the effect that there are 4.3 holsters per firearm (law abiding gun owners) and then you went on about garbage in, garbage out.

There are over 300,000,000 firearms estimated to be in public ownership in this country… that would be 1.2+ BILLION holsters lying around.

You claim there are that many holsters. Where did your stat come from, or are you just like the antis and make s#%t up when it suits you?

Do I have a drawer full of them? Kind of. I have a couple of plastic totes full. Yes, I’m atypical, I still have way more guns than holsters, cases, slings, mag carriers combined by dint of having a bunch.

Do I feel that the regulators are trying to do an end around for registration type behavior? Yes. Is it wrong? Yes.

As I recall, you are one of the folks that refer to a certain subset of legal gun owners as “Fudds”… how many holsters does a duck hunter typically have? Most duck hunters have multiple shotguns… and there are more duck hunters than CCW’s, even though there is probably a substantial overlap between the two.

Are you helping things by making up stats?

I don’t think so.

Ok now who is making up stat's?

Per the MN BCA as of March there were 387,013 Permit holders in MN
Per Field and Stream we had approximately 78,000 duck hunters in MN in 2010. I did not dig deeper, maybe duck hunting is on the rise?

I am sure national numbers are different but I would be very surprised if your statement held true at the national level.
Holland&Holland

Next

Return to Politics