How will Red Flag work? Asking again.

Firearms related political discussion forum

How will Red Flag work? Asking again.

Postby daleamn on Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:44 pm

Red Flag Laws---I’ve mentioned this before but I feel compelled to bring this up again:
How is the Red Flag Law going to be implemented? I mean how is it actually going to be done?

Please bear with me and feel free to disagree with my description of how it would go down.

A cop shows up at your house, probably two cops, with the order to turn over your guns. The cops do NOT know how many guns you have but they want them all and there’s two of them to enforce the order.

You give them your guns or say you don’t have any guns. Either way, do they take you at your word or do they search your house for guns?

Just how thorough a search are they going to do? A walk through the house or are they going to go through every box in your basement and garage and attic, all the drawers in all your furniture in the house, all the closets checking in all the pockets of all the clothes hanging in the closets, under the mattresses, in your cars? Are they going to check the toilet tanks? Are they going to take off the heating vents? Are they going to check to see if you’re renting a storage locker somewhere? Just how far are they going to go to make sure they’ve confiscated all your guns?

How long would a thorough search of a house take? This is time the officers would NOT be available to do other things. They would have to inventory the guns they find and give you a receipt for them. This wouldn’t take a lot of time but it would add the time they would be unavailable to do other things.

Then as the police drive away with all your guns, (all that they’ve found anyway) does the person in question go buy another gun from a private individual? Do they borrow a gun from a friend or relative? I’m assuming that part of the Red Flag Law is that the person is flagged so that they cannot buy a gun from an FFL.

So then does the person in question just watch the police drive away with all their firearms, standing in a garage with knives, machetes, chainsaws, baseball bats, tire irons, pressure cookers, pieces of pipe, lengths of bicycle chain, canisters of gun powder (well maybe the cops would take the gun powder too…I don’t know about that), and a car or truck (even an electric one) that would be quite capable of doing a lot of damage if driven maliciously?

How do the proponents of the Red Flag Laws see them actually working out?
daleamn

Re: How will Red Flag work? Asking again.

Postby westhope on Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:32 pm

The "Proponents" goal is to take away the GUNS. Therefore, the "Proponents" achieve their goal

The goal of the Red Flag Law is not, nor never has been, to protect others. If the "Proponents" goal was to protect others, then the PERSON would need to be be confined.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:56 pm

westhope wrote:

The "Proponents" goal is to take away the GUNS. Therefore, the "Proponents" achieve their goal

The goal of the Red Flag Law is not, nor never has been, to protect others. If the "Proponents" goal was to protect others, then the PERSON would need to be be confined.

That's a Bingo!

Honestly it will work differently in each situation. Depends on the officers involved and the actions of the convicted.
Holland&Holland

Postby Lumpy on Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:49 pm

How specific are regular search warrants, which have to state what's being searched for? Do they have to specify a model or number of guns, or just any and all guns believed to be on the premises?

It's starting to sound like having at least one privately bought gun you haven't told anyone about is a good backup item to have.
Lumpy

Postby Sorcerer on Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:12 pm

If you follow the (new)law that ALL firearms MUST be registered with the state. Including that potato gun. Law enforcement will know what to expect and what to look for. It will most likely be a felony if they find unregistered firearms disqualifying you for life to be in possession of a firearm or ammo. If this was passed there would be a lot of politicians with wet crotch’s. As for when law enforcement leaves with your firearms, they will be Tossed in the trunk of a squad car. When they get to the station all your firearms will be dumped into brute barrels. Then as your are firearms are taken out of one brute barrel cataloged and then dumped back onto another brute barrel. Of course the really nice ones will be fondled by most every one. IF you are lucky enough to have your firearms returned they will NOT resemble what left your home. The unfired ones will have been excersised.
Sorcerer

Postby jdege on Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:59 pm

It is certainly possible that we could draft a law that would balance public safety concerns with due process guarantees. To create a law that would increase protection without risk of being abused.

In fact, the National Conference on Uniform State Laws was working on a draft law to do exactly that - before they were shot down by the Brady Bunch.

The NCUSL draft was never completed, and the bills that have been offered have none of the due process protections it would have contained.

The anti-gun zealots want a law without protections against abuse because they intend such abuse.
jdege

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:02 pm

jdege wrote:It is certainly possible that we could draft a law that would balance public safety concerns with due process guarantees. To create a law that would increase protection without risk of being abused.

In fact, the National Conference on Uniform State Laws was working on a draft law to do exactly that - before they were shot down by the Brady Bunch.

The NCUSL draft was never completed, and the bills that have been offered have none of the due process protections it would have contained.

The anti-gun zealots want a law without protections against abuse because they intend such abuse.

Not interested in any new law in the least.
Holland&Holland

Return to Politics