Presidential candidate hopeful Vivek Ramaswamy on Guns

Firearms related political discussion forum

Presidential candidate hopeful Vivek Ramaswamy on Guns

Postby IvanTheTerribleShot on Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:14 pm

YouTube keeps doing its best feeding me relevant videos even though I told it not to send me targeted ads.
Hope you find it worth your attention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy5oBk5YF54&t=845

At 14:05:

I will say it again: we will shut down the FBI and replace it with a police apparatus that actually respects the law instead of making it up, and that apparatus can actually do the job of those background checks. Which means that tonight I'm pleased to make the announcement that if I'm elected next president of the United States we will finally shut down the ATF, an agency that is beyond repair; that is the right answer left in the country. And while we're at it let's make constitutional carry the law of the land and finally put a ban on those efforts to actually make that federal gun registry because they want to be able to find you just like the British monarch wanted to find the colonists. We're not going to let that happen.
IvanTheTerribleShot

Re: Presidential candidate hopeful Vivek Ramaswamy on Guns

Postby Grayskies on Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:15 am

Government agencies tend towards authoritarianism, alway.

Replacing the FBI and DOJ will do little, the new agency(s) will quickly end up in the same place. Only transparency, legal consequences and politions actually holding the agency to account will slow this process.

Current the republicans lack the balls to do anything about this, or they're part of of the system(s) that let these agencies run wild.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby jdege on Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:12 am

I've not followed Ramaswamy, but I ran across this:

DEBATE PERFORMANCE CHANGED MY MIND ON RAMASWAMY
Ramaswamy’s positions on Russia, Ukraine, and Israel have also given me pause.

But it was his smug, arrogant, and frankly not so smart performance at Wednesday night’s debate that turned me off for good.

In response to his first question, he said, “So, first let me just address a question that’s on everybody’s mind at home tonight. Who the heck is this skinny guy with a funny last name and what the heck is he doing in the middle of this debate stage?”

It turns out that he was repeating words uttered by then-Senate candidate Barack Obama during his keynote address at the Democratic National Convention in 2004.

While the candidates were responding to a question about climate change, Ramaswamy chimed in: “Let us be honest as Republicans. I’m the only person on the stage who isn’t bought and paid for.”
jdege

Postby Lumpy on Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:43 am

Grayskies wrote:Government agencies tend towards authoritarianism, alway.

Replacing the FBI and DOJ will do little, the new agency(s) will quickly end up in the same place. Only transparency, legal consequences and politions actually holding the agency to account will slow this process.

Current the republicans lack the balls to do anything about this, or they're part of of the system(s) that let these agencies run wild.

If we're going to have the 1934 NFA at all, one thing that could be done is return enforcement of the stamp tax to the IRS, which handled it until the BATFE was formed. The IRS is primarily about making sure the money comes in, whereas the BATFE was formed in the wake of late '60s/early '70s political violence specifically as an anti-insurgency police.
Lumpy

Postby IvanTheTerribleShot on Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:09 pm

Lumpy wrote:If we're going to have the 1934 NFA at all, one thing that could be done is return enforcement of the stamp tax to the IRS, which handled it until the BATFE was formed. The IRS is primarily about making sure the money comes in, whereas the BATFE was formed in the wake of late '60s/early '70s political violence specifically as an anti-insurgency police.

According to https://www.vivek2024.com/america-first-2-0/, point 04 (click on it to expand,) Vivek wants to shut down IRS, too.
IvanTheTerribleShot

Postby Markemp on Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:37 pm

He seems like a very stable genius.
Laws and regulations preserve freedom by striking a balance among individuals' liberties.
Markemp

Postby Jackpine Savage on Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:43 pm

Any of the Republican candidates would be an improvement over the corrupt, senile, pedophile, pretender currently occupying the White House.
Jackpine Savage

Return to Politics