Bruen vs Post Office

Firearms related political discussion forum

Bruen vs Post Office

Postby Chunkychuck on Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:40 am

I don’t have the money but wouldn’t Bruen rule against the prohibition of carrying in the Post Office?
Chunkychuck

Re: Bruen vs Post Office

Postby jdege on Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:18 pm

Chunkychuck wrote:I don’t have the money but wouldn’t Bruen rule against the prohibition of carrying in the Post Office?

The statute would probably pass constitutional muster:

18 USC 930(d):
Subsection (a) shall not apply to—
(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

But the USPS regulations might not:

39 CFR § 232.1 - Conduct on postal property.
(l) Weapons and explosives. Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation, no person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.
jdege

Postby bstrawse on Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:51 pm

Chunkychuck wrote:I don’t have the money but wouldn’t Bruen rule against the prohibition of carrying in the Post Office?

Possibly. There is not a current claim on post office carry in the courts that we're aware of....
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby jdege on Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:29 pm

In 2015 we had Bonidy v. USPS.

Tab Bonidy had a Colorado carry permit, and lived in an area where there was no mail delivery, residents picked up their mail at the post office.

USPS regulations forbade storing a gun in your vehicle while you parked it on USPS property. Bonidy sued.

He won in district court, lost on appeal, and SCOTUS denied cert.

I've heard of nothing since.
jdege

Return to Politics