3 Gun Bills in MN House

Firearms related political discussion forum

3 Gun Bills in MN House

Postby daleamn on Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:08 pm

Here's a link to the story in the Pioneer Press, April 29, 2024:
https://www.twincities.com/2024/04/29/m ... quirement/

The three bills are about:
1. Safe storage of firearms.
2. Increased penalties for straw purchases.
3. Requirement to report lost or stolen firearms.

The article seems to indicate the three will pass the Minnesota House but might not pass in the Minnesota Senate. I guess I wouldn't have any objection to increasing the penalties for straw purchases but 'safe storage' seems unenforceable and making it a crime not to report lost or stolen firearms doesn't seem like it would decrease crime at all.

I wonder if there are there any Democratic members in the senate that might vote against these?
daleamn

Re: 3 Gun Bills in MN House

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed May 01, 2024 8:46 am

Sure sucks when a criminal democrat was able to vote for these bills. They removed her from committees but still let her vote. Can see why criminals vote democrat!
Bearcatrp

Postby xd ED on Wed May 01, 2024 9:38 am

Bearcatrp wrote:Sure sucks when a criminal democrat was able to vote for these bills. They removed her from committees but still let her vote. Can see why criminals vote democrat!

If I were a burglar, I would probably want lots of gun control too… but just for you…not me.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed May 01, 2024 10:21 am

Isn’t there a binary trigger one as well?
Holland&Holland

Postby bstrawse on Wed May 01, 2024 11:27 am

daleamn wrote:Here's a link to the story in the Pioneer Press, April 29, 2024:
https://www.twincities.com/2024/04/29/m ... quirement/

The three bills are about:
1. Safe storage of firearms.
2. Increased penalties for straw purchases.
3. Requirement to report lost or stolen firearms.

The article seems to indicate the three will pass the Minnesota House but might not pass in the Minnesota Senate. I guess I wouldn't have any objection to increasing the penalties for straw purchases but 'safe storage' seems unenforceable and making it a crime not to report lost or stolen firearms doesn't seem like it would decrease crime at all.

I wonder if there are there any Democratic members in the senate that might vote against these?

Get the scoop on current bills with our testimony and position at https://gunowners.mn/2024

In the Senate, Kupec, Hauschild, Seeberger are the 3 most likely no votes -- but they voted for red flags last year so not sure why they wouldn't vote for these bills this year -- we'll be focusing on them with some upcoming digital advertising in the coming days.

If you're not on the Caucus's mailing list, you're missing out on action alerts and other context -- gunowners.mn/alerts

Thanks,
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby bstrawse on Wed May 01, 2024 11:27 am

Holland&Holland wrote:Isn’t there a binary trigger one as well?

Yes. HF2609 also has the straw purchase element incorporated in it alongside a ban on binary triggers.

See https://gunowners.mn/2024 for details.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Lumpy on Wed May 01, 2024 9:29 pm

daleamn wrote: making it a crime not to report lost or stolen firearms doesn't seem like it would decrease crime at all.

Maybe they've heard of "boating accidents" and are trying to criminalize efforts to hide guns from future confiscation.
Lumpy

Postby daleamn on Wed May 01, 2024 10:45 pm

bstrawse---your efforts are very much appreciated!
daleamn

Postby bstrawse on Thu May 02, 2024 5:20 am

Lumpy wrote:
daleamn wrote: making it a crime not to report lost or stolen firearms doesn't seem like it would decrease crime at all.

Maybe they've heard of "boating accidents" and are trying to criminalize efforts to hide guns from future confiscation.

DidntLose-Social.png
bstrawse

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu May 02, 2024 6:13 am

Love it :D
Holland&Holland

Postby bstrawse on Thu May 02, 2024 7:04 am

Holland&Holland wrote:Love it :D

One of my favorites.

Stickers available in our store - https://gunowners.mn/store
b
bstrawse

Postby warrlac on Thu May 02, 2024 10:42 am

bstrawse wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:Isn’t there a binary trigger one as well?

Yes. HF2609 also has the straw purchase element incorporated in it alongside a ban on binary triggers.

See https://gunowners.mn/2024 for details.
b

A ban on "binary triggers" is a dangerous precedent. The motion of your trigger finger is now being controlled due to innovation within the gun industry. I am probably in the minority (even here), but application of the binary setting has its uses. I would cite feral hog hunting as an example.

Regardless of what you think about drop-in binary triggers, this legislation is just another death-by-a-thousand-cuts attack on lawful gun owners. The gang bangers make Glock switches in their ghetto apartments and wreak havoc on society. Now the left wants to ban everything that isn't a dildo.

I do not support this bill. Break out the felony charge for straw purchases.

Kill the binary trigger ban.
warrlac

Postby Jackpine Savage on Fri May 03, 2024 8:13 am

This is worth a listen. It is Rep. Walter Hudson's eloquent critique of the 'Safe Storage law'. That it still passed after 8 hours of debate tells me that Democrats in the House have IQs of rocks.

15 minutes of pure gold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB3_IY87U9Y

Jackpine Savage

Postby daleamn on Fri May 03, 2024 10:19 am

Rep. Walter Hudson on HF 4300 ('Safe Storage')---Now this is some REAL 'common sense'.

He also spoke very well against HF 601 the 'Lost or Stolen' law. HF 601 still passed the house though.

I haven't found the full debate on HF 4300 like I did for HF 601 but EVERYONE, each and every legislator speaking up against HF 601 (including Rep. Walter Hudson) was logical, reasoned and well thought out. For HF 601 it didn't matter. HF 601 passed the MN House 68 to 63.

And once again, you can see the whole, about 4 hours debate, on HF 601 on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlfZEHVdlhw

Thanks for posting Rep. Walter Hudson's remarks on HF 4300.
daleamn

Postby bstrawse on Fri May 03, 2024 11:12 am

We worked hard with the MN House Caucus to help prepare for debate - and had a war room at the Capitol w/ Rob and our comms team while I was back at the office supporting -- Rob did a really nice job w/ the House to make this week happen. They put up a great fight and really slowed things down.

We posted a lot of videos to our Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube pages of some of the better arguments.

Get the full scoop + how everyone voted at https://gunowners.mn/2024.
b
bstrawse

Next

Return to Politics