Subject: "Info for Vets: VA Hospital Questions..."

Firearms related political discussion forum

Subject: "Info for Vets: VA Hospital Questions..."

Postby Lastgunshop on Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:55 am

Personally, I have ZERO information on this (I was just the messenger), so we went to the USCCA Members forum and asked the veterans there for their thoughts about this, and whether or not they had any information.

The replies we received are pretty astounding. Well, I think you should read for yourself. I'm going to share a few with you here.

Remember- these aren't my words, and I have no way to verify or prove them, but they are the words of USCCA members.

Here was the original message by a veteran:

I had a doctor's appointment at the local VA clinic yesterday and found something very interesting I would like to pass along. While going through triage before seeing the doctor, I was asked at the end of the exam, three questions.

(1. Did I feel stressed?)
(2. Did I feel threatened?)
(3. Did I feel like doing harm to someone?)

The nurse then informed me, if I had answered yes to any of the questions, I would have lost my concealed carry permit as it would have gone into my medical records and the VA would have reported it to Homeland Security.

I am a Viet Nam vet and 15 year cc permit holder. Looks like they are going after us vets...
Lastgunshop

Re: Subject: "Info for Vets: VA Hospital Questions..."

Postby infidel on Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:02 pm

If this is true, I would like to say this makes me very stressed. I would like to say I feel very threatened. I would like to say this makes me want to hurt someone.

.....but I won't say that. :geek:
“If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team.” - John Ashley

Disclaimer: Do not assume from this post, that I either agree or disagree with any other issue brought up in this thread.
infidel

Postby Lastgunshop on Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:08 pm

I will be going out to the V.A. in about two weeks. I will see if they are doing this too.
Lastgunshop

Postby DeanC on Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:13 pm

The nurse then informed me, if I had answered yes to any of the questions, I would have lost my concealed carry permit

I'm pretty well convinced that somebody made this up. It doesn't logically follow that the nurse would have known if he had a permit. It sounds like gun store "counter talk".
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby hammAR on Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:25 pm

DeanC wrote:
The nurse then informed me, if I had answered yes to any of the questions, I would have lost my concealed carry permit

I'm pretty well convinced that somebody made this up. It doesn't logically follow that the nurse would have known if he had a permit. It sounds like gun store "counter talk".

...IF one was carrying while in for the exam, then yes a nurse would know that one may have a permit, I have been there and done that.....Health Partners and many of their practitioners frown heavily on carrying while in their facilities......there are questions like that asked during interrogations at the VA.........remember Veterans have been identified as a high threat level-potential by DHS.........besides IF you are not a Veteran you would not have to worry about it anyhow...
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Stradawhovious on Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:30 pm

hammAR wrote:Health Partners and many of their practitioners frown heavily on carrying while in their facilities.

As a heads up, all HealthPartners facilities, medical and otherwise are posted.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby plblark on Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:38 pm

Aside: My PA didn't even blink and wasn't surprised when Carry permits came up.
PA: Any other life changes?
Moi: Eating more fast food, busier.
PA:What's Causing that?
MOI: Second Job, PTA,kids in school ... I'm often running around
PA: What do you do for a second job?
Moi: Carry permit instructor.
PA: Want a Lead check?
Moi: Probably a good idea.
PA: Cut the fast food, diet, exercise ... Do I really need to tell you this stuff?

He's a down to earth kind of guy. I could have avoided the question but wanted to see the reaction. Went well.
Last edited by plblark on Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby DeanC on Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:03 pm

hammAR wrote:...IF one was carrying while in for the exam

Then one would be in violation of Federal Law and probably awaiting trial.
I had a doctor's appointment at the local VA clinic yesterday
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby goalie on Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:11 pm

hammAR wrote:
DeanC wrote:

...IF one was carrying while in for the exam, then yes a nurse would know that one may have a permit, I have been there and done that.....Health Partners and many of their practitioners frown heavily on carrying while in their facilities......there are questions like that asked during interrogations at the VA.........remember Veterans have been identified as a high threat level-potential by DHS.........besides IF you are not a Veteran you would not have to worry about it anyhow...

The VA isn't Health Partners though. You'll end up on charges carrying at the VA.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby ChefBo on Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:43 pm

I have been treated at the VA for a few years, and that question has been asked, But to tell you the truth,
I think it is directed toward your home environment , and weather or not there is domestic abuse in your home,
or any other issue that may cause a person to become " stressed " " threatened " or in any other way
" angered " However knowing that it could put your Minnesota Carry Permit in jeopardy, also tells me to
be aware of your surroundings, and make sure you have it all in control. Not knowing if that is the reason
for the questions in the first place, makes the issure that much more important.
ChefBo

Postby hammAR on Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:45 am

goalie wrote:The VA isn't Health Partners though. You'll end up on charges carrying at the VA.

...well at least I can avoid any further contact with the VA and get better healthcare for free........... :rotf:

Stradawhovious wrote:As a heads up, all HealthPartners facilities, medical and otherwise are posted.

...I told the Optometrist that was why I was there, can't see sheite.......... :twisted:
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby John S. on Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:01 am

So, I can't carry at the VA Fort Snelling? I'm taking Father in Law up there tomorrow morning! I was planning on packing..........
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. -- P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian
John S.

Postby DeanC on Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:16 am

John S. wrote:So, I can't carry at the VA Fort Snelling? I'm taking Father in Law up there tomorrow morning! I was planning on packing..........

No, and you can't even legally store it in your car if you are parking on Federal property as far as I know. Maybe an instructor has the details on that, but I do not think the parking lot exclusion applies on Federal property.
DeanC

Postby ttousi on Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:25 am

Dean you forgot the most important question..........

who was your instructor?

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby Paul on Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:29 am

I am not an instructor, but have extensive experience with Federal property.

Check this out as a a reference, 18 USC 930 covers firearms.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00000930----000-.html

It does not specifically state that parking lots are prohibited carry places, as it defines facility as the building, but you and your vehicle are subject to search upon entering the property.

I can tell you that they at a minimum will make you leave if they discover the firearm, probably not worth it.
Paul

Next

Return to Politics