Favorite Flashlights

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Favorite Flashlights

Postby JoeH on Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:26 pm

I'm hankerin' for a new flashlight. I'm wondering what people like and carry around here.

I still like a big, heavy Maglight for some things. I've converted mine to LED and it's pretty good all around. However, it's not for pocket carry!

I had a Surefire G2 that I lost in a duck slew last fall. I do like that type of light. Surefire makes a great product. They just aren't the best value.

I replaced it with a cheap Surefire type knock-off. Now I'm ready for something better.
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Re: Favorite Flashlights

Postby JFettig on Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:22 pm

I have a surfire E2E which I really like. The battery life on it is only about 1.5hrs or so. I think the E2L has a longer life. both of those are very small and are aluminum construction. I got mine off of ebay for $75 I think.

Jon
JFettig

Postby Aceq2jot on Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:57 pm

When they dropped the price from $300 i got myself one of these.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/blniglfl.html

It is super bright has a very long battery life and the strobe is nice for making people get very disoriented. A few people did not believe me so they got the strobe at 5 feet and found out how powerful it is ;)
Really i am your worst Nightmare, for i walk the night and the cover of darkness belongs to me :D

You cant make a pile of Dog shat smell like a rose a bunch of Roses, so why try ???
Aceq2jot

Postby SethB on Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:36 pm

I like the http://elektrolumens.com/Stunner-3D/Stunner-P4.html

Only too much is enough. (I have a couple of brighter lights, but they aren't available commercially.)

I also have some Surefires I should probably get around to selling.
SethB

Postby justaguy on Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:34 am

Last edited by justaguy on Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Postby hammAR on Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:44 am

justaguy wrote:On a side note J&S Guns in Lakeville has the new Surefire “Beast”. 2000 lumens for only $4800. I asked if it was a big seller and he said it wasn’t, but the one on the wall was his second one. He also has a “Hellfighter” 3000 lumens for only $6500.

For that kind of money couldn't you just get NV equipment, then not give you position away........
and you would have enough left over for a good Doberman too.............. :P :P :P
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby phorvick on Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:44 am

For a pocket light that is decently bright, the Inova T1...about $50.

http://www.inovalight.com/t.html
Where did I leave the Tardis?
phorvick

Postby tullibee on Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:14 am

don't know if I'd call it a favorite or not, but...

AxMan (Moore Lake location on 65) has an Aluminum bodied LED light (I think 8 LEDs and 3AAA batteries) for $8. I picked one up for the fish (you know, for the halibut...). not sure how it compares to other lights, but it seems to throw a pretty good amount of light. If I had been a little more awake this morning, I would have brought it along for the lunch today!

I've also been fairly pleased with some cheap Cyclops lights that I found at Sam's Club. I think they were ~$22 for a twin pack a couple of winters ago. They run on 2 CR123 Lithiums, not sure on burn time - not great. They also tend to warm up quite a bit if you run them constantly.
tullibee

Postby plblark on Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:07 pm

I bought a Fenix L1D CE from Lighthound.
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?Pag ... rodID=2613

I bought it because I was looking for 3 things:
1) a push tailcap
2) >= 90 lumens
3) another mode with better battery power.

This one fills that for me:
# General Mode: 9 lumens (25hrs) -> 40 lumens (5hrs) -> 80 lumens (2hrs) -> SOS
# Turbo Mode: 90 lumens (1.5hrs) -> Strobe

I also bought the L2D body for camping and etc. That gives me the option of:
# General Mode: 9 lumens (55hrs) -> 40 lumens (10.5hrs) -> 80 lumens (4hrs) -> SOS
# Turbo Mode: 135 lumens (2.4hrs) -> Strobe

So, Day to day I have 9 lumens (25hrs) and 90 lumens (1.5hrs). Camping / long trips, I have 9 lumens (55hrs) and 135 lumens (2.4hrs). With Lithium AA's, I'm good to go.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby SethB on Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:40 pm

I paid $350 for a 4100 lumen flashlight.

It's rather bright
SethB

Postby hammAR on Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:45 pm

SethB wrote:I paid $350 for a 4100 lumen flashlight.

It's rather bright

Don't let TSA know about them, next they will be taking away flashlights................. :twisted:
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Ironbear on Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:35 am

plblark wrote:I bought a Fenix L1D CE from Lighthound.
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?Pag ... rodID=2613
I want one these... real bad. But I keep choking on the fact that they are made in China.... :x
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby 1911fan on Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:28 pm

unfortunately the new glut of high quality, cheap to feed, pockets lights are coming from China or Korea. They are using a new platform LED called the CREE which is just a whole generational step away from anything else around. Where just a year ago the Luxeon 1 watt LED was the bee's knee's..... they are now incredibly outclassed by the newer technology. Here is another huge step up, the new Emitters are significantly less pricey than the Luxeons.

To the place where a surefire 6p or G2 (same light, different bodies) can be given both more output and far better battery life for about 10 bucks. I have 4 that I have converted and can not say enough about the new setups. From 60 lumens for about 60 minutes battery liffe, to 85 lumens and 300 minutes battery life. The drop ins are easy to use and just wonderful.

The new CREE drop in emitters for the basic Mag 2d are amazing, with 120 lumens for nearly 6 hours. and they cost less than mag lights versions.
1911fan

Postby Pezhead on Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:59 pm

I have the G2 in yellow. Hopefully since it's a different color I can pass it off just as a flashlight. What harm could it do? If I drop it, it's easier to find. Yes I do have several black flashights too. I keep a 4 cell Maglight next to the bed incase something goes bump in the night.
Pezhead

Postby Aceq2jot on Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:35 pm

SethB wrote:I paid $350 for a 4100 lumen flashlight.

It's rather bright

I think they saw you coming at that price. You could have bought a gun for that!!!!!!!!!!
Really i am your worst Nightmare, for i walk the night and the cover of darkness belongs to me :D

You cant make a pile of Dog shat smell like a rose a bunch of Roses, so why try ???
Aceq2jot

Next

Return to Accessories