Work Sharp Knife and Tool Sharpener

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Re: Work Sharp Knife and Tool Sharpener

Postby jdege on Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:13 pm

Stradawhovious wrote:
1911fan wrote:Stradie, those are nice for tools, but I can hand sharpen a much finer edge....

I highly doubt it. When I'm done with the Tormek, I take a swipe or two on a nice flat 12,000 grit Japanese stone and it brings the edge to a mirror polish, and sharper than any srugical tool you would want to get ahold of. Why anyone would need a kitchen or pocket knife that sharp is beyond me, (I only used this thing for my woodworking chisels) but it can easily be done. You old timers can poo-poo power tools and technology all you want, but in certain cases, with the right tools, humans cant beat them.

That being said, for your pocket knives, man up, get yourself a hard Arkansas, and learn how to use it. :P

For a knife, you don't always want a perfect edge. The roughness left by courser grits can make it easier to cut some materials. Sharpening to 400 grit may yield a knife that skins deer better than sharpening to 1000.

OTOH, chisels and hand planes need as perfect an edge as you can manage.
jdege

Postby 45usp45 on Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:43 pm

I have found that tools last longer and work better with the work edge a sub 10 micro inch finish and the geometries properly held.
That tormek is just plain sexy...having hard time keeping myself from buying it.
islam was founded by a violent child molester.
45usp45

Postby jdege on Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:43 pm

45usp45 wrote:I have found that tools last longer and work better with the work edge a sub 10 micro inch finish and the geometries properly held.

Depends upon the work. Push cuts are easiest with a polished blade. Slicing cuts work better with some serration. The micro-serrations left by a course stone (or even by a file) can make slicing ripe tomatoes or cutting rope much easier.
jdege

Postby RobD on Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:19 pm

I like it... it has 25º which I think is just perfect for camping/hunting knives. I use a Lansky progressive stone system:
It gets the job done very well, and gives me great edge in about 1/2 the time it used to take me on my whetstone.

I'm not opposed to automating my operation, and I love that it can do axes and machetes... (still use a file for those)

I know I can get a decent edge by hand in about 10-20 mins... if this can do the same thing in less than a min, with the same results, I'm all for it. More time for other stuff.
Political Director - MN Gun Owners Caucus/PAC
NRA Instructor (BP, PPITH, PPOTH, Reloading, RSO)
Certified Glock Armorer - Permit to Carry Instructor - Aegis Outdoors
RobD

Postby jdege on Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:50 pm

RobD wrote:I use a Lansky progressive stone system:

Me, too. You can always tell I've been using it by the bald spots on my arm.

(I use Scary Sharp (tm) for my chisels.)
jdege

Previous

Return to Accessories