Red Dot recommendation for Ruger 22/45 Lite

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Red Dot recommendation for Ruger 22/45 Lite

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:26 am

Howdy,
As I posted elsewhere, my cousin picked up one of the new Ruger 22/45 lite Mark III. He loves it and it shoots great, but he wants to put a red dot on it. Most of the local shops in his area don't have great selections to look at and the subject of red dot scopes is an area that he and I know little about.

Since I know little more than he does, he asked me to ask you all if you had a suggestion. He understands he doesn't need a super high end unit and doesn't want to spend more than $100 and preferably more like $50.

What do you suggest?

Thanks in advance.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: Red Dot recommendation for Ruger 22/45 Lite

Postby shooter115 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:23 pm

Kinda hard to get much in the $50 range. You could try the one from Primary Arms.
shooter115

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:25 pm

For a .22 as long as you are not expecting too much out of it, I have had luck with the BSA model for around $25. Put it on a .22 rifle for fun. Seems to keep zero well and for the price not a bad unit for close work.
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:28 pm

The Mico Dot is the one I keep running into.

He says he is not interested in the reflex type and wants the barrel type - not interested in magnification - like I said neither one of us knows that much about it. I've gotten some education just researching, but there is no substitute for hands on experience. being slide mounted, even at the relatively low recoil of a .22, I assume you need some level of ruggedness to hold zero.

Seems like some of the cheaper units are pretty large, but I assume some of the cost is in the miniaturazation of the components.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Keith on Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:36 am

yukonjasper wrote:The Mico Dot is the one I keep running into.

He says he is not interested in the reflex type and wants the barrel type - not interested in magnification - like I said neither one of us knows that much about it. I've gotten some education just researching, but there is no substitute for hands on experience. being slide mounted, even at the relatively low recoil of a .22, I assume you need some level of ruggedness to hold zero.

Seems like some of the cheaper units are pretty large, but I assume some of the cost is in the miniaturazation of the components.

Bushnell TR25? http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Trophy-T ... RNSE8RZ961
If his pistol doesn't have a rail already on top I think he would need one for any dot he wants to put on it. And as I recall slide mounted is not an issue as the "slide" itself doesn't reciprocate. The bolt inside does. I haven't held a Ruger in my hands in a while so someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Yeah, but I shoot with THIS hand.
Keith

Postby Erik_Pakieser on Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:13 am

The Primary Arms MircroDot is a great sight, I'd recommend it. My only complaint about them is they are often out of stock.
Fight-focused defensive handgun, rifle, and shotgun training
http://www.qsitraining.net
http://www.facebook.com/qsifirearms
Erik_Pakieser

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:42 am

Keith,
You are right, I forgot all about that. This model is tapped to accept a scope mount or rail. I'll let him know of the two options put forth. He is a "need to hold it in my hand" kind of guy and besides that I don't think he has a credit card or is particularly interwebz saavy, so I'm not sure how to get over that. I may spot the cash and order both for him, let him pick and return the one he doesn't want.

Any other recommendations?
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:44 am

yukonjasper wrote:Keith,
You are right, I forgot all about that. This model is tapped to accept a scope mount or rail. I'll let him know of the two options put forth. He is a "need to hold it in my hand" kind of guy and besides that I don't think he has a credit card or is particularly interwebz saavy, so I'm not sure how to get over that. I may spot the cash and order both for him, let him pick and return the one he doesn't want.

I would at least make one stop to the Cabela's bargin cave. Typically they have a few inexpensive red dots there.
Holland&Holland

Postby Keith on Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:01 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
yukonjasper wrote:Keith,

I would at least make one stop to the Cabela's bargin cave. Typically they have a few inexpensive red dots there.

If he needs to fondle before buying Cabelas maybe the best choice if anything just for their selection. It may just depend on what they actually have in store at the time.
http://www.cabelas.com/red-dot-scopes-p ... rips.shtml
Yeah, but I shoot with THIS hand.
Keith

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:13 pm

Problem is he is on the Iron Range with the closest Cabela's is probably Rogers. He is planning to come Duck hunting with me this fall out around Morris, so we could hit Rogers on the way out of town, just not sure he wants to wait until October.

Thanks for the input. It is really appreciated. If you think of anything else - send it along.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby CashFan on Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:30 pm

I have a truglo on my Mark 3 Hunter and have had good luck with it. It has green and red dot with adjustable size dot with a circle and extra battery storage. Found it at Fleet Farm for $60 on clearance(regular $80) a couple months ago. The one I bought was a "Turkey" model, they also had a "tactical" model that was identical in every way except for the packaging but was not on clearance and was $80.

I have fired a couple thousand rounds through it and it is still right on.
CashFan

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:02 pm

CashFan wrote:I have a truglo on my Mark 3 Hunter and have had good luck with it. It has green and red dot with adjustable size dot with a circle and extra battery storage. Found it at Fleet Farm for $60 on clearance(regular $80) a couple months ago. The one I bought was a "Turkey" model, they also had a "tactical" model that was identical in every way except for the packaging but was not on clearance and was $80.

I have fired a couple thousand rounds through it and it is still right on.

Is it this one:

http://www.truglo.com/IW_Products.m4p.pvx?;MULTI_ITEM_SUBMIT

They have a "Classic" that is just one color, that would probably work.

Thanks again everyone for the input.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby CashFan on Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:40 am

yukonjasper wrote:
Is it this one:

http://www.truglo.com/IW_Products.m4p.pvx?;MULTI_ITEM_SUBMIT

They have a "Classic" that is just one color, that would probably work.

Thanks again everyone for the input.

Sorry for the slow response; I just now saw the question.

The link in your post takes me to a login page. Perhaps this link will do the same for you, but ill put it up anyway. Looking at the URL, it appears to be the same scope. Product info: Gobble Stopper 30mm Dual color; SKU# TG8030GB.

http://www.truglo.com/IW_Products.m4p.p ... TEM_SUBMIT

Its been a great scope for me. Very happy with it.
CashFan

Postby 2in2out on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:25 am

I have a Burris Fastfire III. While these are more money that you're looking for, they're also very high quality and extremely durable. I have mone mounted on a M&P 15-22, but I think the sight is probably geared more toward pistols. Very light and compact.

I skipped mail order and big-box retailers, because nobody seemed to have any in stock when I wanted it. Ended up getting a better price from Thunderjohn, and he could get them when nobody else could.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Return to Accessories