Alien Gear Holsters

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Re: Re: Alien Gear Holsters

Postby Countryfried Frank on Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:27 pm

MWAG wrote:
gunforhire wrote:

What these damn kids all over the facetwitspace are calling pound signs :roll:

What is a pound sign? You mean those Octothorpes ;)

You're all wrong. It's the tic-tac-toe thingie.
"Sometimes we have to get really high to see how small we are." - Felix Baumgartner
Countryfried Frank

Re: Alien Gear Holsters

Postby AFTERMATH on Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:19 pm

Just got mine the other day for my XD. Seems good enough. But I do have a question perhaps someone could help me out with. I have no previous experience with the hybrid style holsters and well I'm not sure I've got the tension figured out right.
Putting on the shortest spacers and tightening the screws all the way it still does not seem as tight as I would like.
Is there supposed to be a click when the pistol is fully inserted, like on an all-kydex holster or is it pure friction?
How tight should I be able to tighten it? I very well might be expecting too much from this style, but as far as I know there could be something wrong with the fit...
RWVA Senior Instructor -- http://www.RWVA.org
AFTERMATH

Postby gunforhire on Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:48 pm

AFTERMATH wrote:Just got mine the other day for my XD. Seems good enough. But I do have a question perhaps someone could help me out with. I have no previous experience with the hybrid style holsters and well I'm not sure I've got the tension figured out right.
Putting on the shortest spacers and tightening the screws all the way it still does not seem as tight as I would like.
Is there supposed to be a click when the pistol is fully inserted, like on an all-kydex holster or is it pure friction?
How tight should I be able to tighten it? I very well might be expecting too much from this style, but as far as I know there could be something wrong with the fit...

as far as I know, there will be no click, since you have a leather backer. basically, the tensoin comes from you body side vs the spacing and kydex. I have the short spacers in too on my 1911, and I think I might loosen it a bit. it still draws nice and easy, but that extra 1/8' inch may aid in reholstering.

Also,

"You're not tactical enough to view that video. Practice some rolls for a while, maybe dual wield an airsoft pistol and an Xacto knife, then try again."

~some arfcom user that deserves a beer or 8 from my fridge
gunforhire

Postby Scratch on Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:39 pm

You can also adjust tension on kydex by heating an area like the trigger guard with a hair dryer and shaping it to be tighter.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Ranger01 on Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:17 am

gunforhire wrote:

Sorry to temporarily derail this but, that is a beautiful 1911. Is that a S70 Colt? Also where the hell did you get those P38 style grips?
Ranger01

Postby gunforhire on Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:27 am

Springfield Trophy match, it came from Springfield in 1994. I got the grips from a member of my firearms trader on fb since it came wit a nasty set of houge grips. The original owner didnt take grat care of this pistol though and it has some pitting on the slide covered up by a really nice rebluing. The rear sight was WRONG. the has a little brass shim under a BOMAR rear that fell off the first time I shot it. I fitted the Harrison Gen 1 sight the other night. this thing is going to get a drastic overhaul in the coming months
"You're not tactical enough to view that video. Practice some rolls for a while, maybe dual wield an airsoft pistol and an Xacto knife, then try again."

gunforhire

Alien Gear Holsters

Postby plblark on Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:46 pm

andrewP wrote:
gunforhire wrote:
Tommyboyjfd wrote:I bought one a few months back and wear it all day every day. Ordered the black leather version. Love it. Shows absolutely no wear on the holster or my gun. I figured the silver logo would wear off but it looks like the day I bought it. Couldn't be happier with the purchase. I figured for $36 I would "give it a try" and I have not worn a different holster since putting it on. My only gripe is I wish there was a different way to attach this so I could tuck in my shirt and have it completely hidden. Didn't think it would be an issue, but got called out at work wondering what the clips were for.... I can't carry at work but since the holster disappears on the body I wear the holster all day even empty. If someone has a solution, please let me know. I have been toying with ideas for a few weeks.

run the clips inside the belt like I do at work. bad thing is there is less holding it up, but if it's a good belt that is snug, you should still have the support needed. My trophy match will run like this all day

Could always go with Crossbreed's V-clips. I mean, if you don't mind cobbling together a solution out of pieces from multiple vendors, that is. :)

That's what I do. V clips transferred between multiple holsters. I should probably buy another set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby gunforhire on Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:12 pm

gunforhire

Postby liferefugee on Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:16 pm

I picked up 2 of these and a n82 pro holster at the same time (all 3 for different guns of course). After some time wearing each I am returning the n82 holster and going with the alien gear instead. For me the low ride and comfort of the holster won out. I recently ordered a belt from crossbreed and plan on adding the v clips to this setup to finish it off. Personally I would like something more like the n82 pro retention added to the alien gear holster as an upgraded option, but with the adjustable tension plus belt to body pressure the gun is not going to be falling out under normal use. All in all, a nice holster for a nice price.
liferefugee

Postby SmoothAR on Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:34 pm

I picked one of these up for my G19 (for $30, why not). The clips came set to the middle of the 3 available holes, and that seems to work for me. I wore the holster for the day, and it was as comfortable as my M-Tac (and a lot cheaper). I didn't want to commit to removing the unused grommets, so I used the small spacers and screws (included) to avoid the wear and tear on my clothing (the flaw pointed out in the "gunforhire" review).

20131021_160001_resized.jpg

All in all, this is a good hybrid holster for a good price.
SmoothAR

Postby MWAG on Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:42 pm

Those of you who've ordered one, how long did you have to wait until you received your order? I ordered one + extra Kydex shell 12 days ago and my order is still listed as 'Processing'
I've been wrong once in my life

GOCRA member
MWAG

Postby SmoothAR on Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:57 pm

Mine was about 1 week to ship.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
SmoothAR

Postby liferefugee on Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:55 pm

chances are it will ship for you any day now. I chose to swap out one of the leathers and add a new shell and was given a 2 week estimate when talking with them on the phone.
liferefugee

Postby gun_fan111 on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:19 am

Question for you guys - do you keep the "even" cant with these holsters or increase or decrease it? I upped it on my old faithful and it is on the bottom hole in the front and middle hole in the back.
Did you just buy that beautiful firearm, or are you trying to sell that piece of crap?
gun_fan111

Postby liferefugee on Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:04 pm

Personally I have kept both ends on the top hole so far. I do like the fact that you can adjust it though, unlike some others.
liferefugee

PreviousNext

Return to Accessories