Laser Bore Sight - LaserLyte?

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Re: Laser Bore Sight - LaserLyte?

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:11 pm

Couldn't you use a laser leve ( i already own)to paint a line on the wall to get the cross hairs lined up. I have a small level for the upper.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:40 am

Ghost wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:I use unemployed Malaysian slave labor (the younger the better).

You guys can be so cruel. :?

Still talking about gun accessories? :o

No peeking. :lol:
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby brad3579 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:59 am

2.jpg
2.jpg (2.6 KB) Viewed 3336 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (3.84 KB) Viewed 3277 times
Looking at the quality of those I think that I will stay with my Wheeler levels.

Ghost wrote:
brad3579 wrote:How many people use levels when mounting there scopes?
I have a Tipton vise and a Wheeler set like this and have been quite happy with my results looking thru the bore and adjusting the scope to match.

The attachment p_100012251_1.jpg is no longer available

I use these
https://www.amazon.com/Darice-91095-01-Level-Picture-Hanging/dp/B0054G62KW/ref=sr_1_4?s=hardware&ie=UTF8&qid=1519341536&sr=1-4&keywords=bubble+level&tag=pda0ea-20
brad3579

Postby brad3579 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:03 am

yukonjasper wrote:Couldn't you use a laser leve ( i already own)to paint a line on the wall to get the cross hairs lined up. I have a small level for the upper.

You should level the gun before mounting and leveling the scope.
brad3579

Postby Ghost on Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:10 am

brad3579 wrote:
2.jpg
1.jpg
Looking at the quality of those I think that I will stay with my Wheeler levels.

Ghost wrote:
brad3579 wrote:How many people use levels when mounting there scopes?
I have a Tipton vise and a Wheeler set like this and have been quite happy with my results looking thru the bore and adjusting the scope to match.

p_100012251_1.jpg

I use these
https://www.amazon.com/Darice-91095-01-Level-Picture-Hanging/dp/B0054G62KW/ref=sr_1_4?s=hardware&ie=UTF8&qid=1519341536&sr=1-4&keywords=bubble+level&tag=pda0ea-20

Thing is it only takes one. Set it on the rail then set it on the scope. If it's the same you are good to go.
Ghost

Postby Randygmn on Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:41 am

You can try the old school way. If that doesn’t work, you can buy any old cheap laser bore sight. Just make sure it’s caliber specific and fits in the chamber instead of a magnet at the end of the muzzle. Don’t want anything touching the muzzle/crown. Then, just adjust the crosshairs to the dot on target. You aren’t looking to zero without shooting, but this will get you pretty damn close to bullseye. Then, confirm and make micro adjustments with live fire.
Randygmn

Postby BigDog58 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:49 pm

Once you get "on the paper" All you will need to do is the "One Shot Sight In".
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:57 pm

Leveling the rifle has always been the toughest for me. What I have found is that the way I hold a particular rifle in the field and the way it sits straight in a vise can be two completely different things.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:05 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Leveling the rifle has always been the toughest for me. What I have found is that the way I hold a particular rifle in the field and the way it sits straight in a vise can be two completely different things.

I have in the past hung a string line from the ceiling to confirm that I'm level with the world via the scope. The scope really should be square to the rifle though.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:12 pm

Ghost wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:Leveling the rifle has always been the toughest for me. What I have found is that the way I hold a particular rifle in the field and the way it sits straight in a vise can be two completely different things.

I have in the past hung a string line from the ceiling to confirm that I'm level with the world via the scope. The scope really should be square to the rifle though.

See I question that, because a barrel is round and gravity does not care what access the barrel is so is it not more important for the scope to be square to the word in the relation to the rotation of the barrel? I have always been told that a natural hold where one is not forcing a gun to move and conform to a specific position is the most accurate so if when I shoulder the weapon and the scope is square and the rifle comes up to my eye right then would that not be the best regardless if the rifle is slightly canted?
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:20 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
Ghost wrote:

See I question that, because a barrel is round and gravity does not care what access the barrel is so is it not more important for the scope to be square to the word in the relation to the rotation of the barrel? I have always been told that a natural hold where one is not forcing a gun to move and conform to a specific position is the most accurate so if when I shoulder the weapon and the scope is square and the rifle comes up to my eye right then would that not be the best regardless if the rifle is slightly canted?

What about if you run a 20 moa mount?

Edit to add: also are we talking turret adjustable scopes or old hunting rifles sighted for one distance?
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:25 pm

Ghost wrote:What about if you run a 20 moa mount?

That is a good point. At that point I would switch to a 6.5 Gerndal because the superiority of it would overcome all obstacles for me. :twisted:

I typically am talking hunting rigs that are being used in various shooting positions. If I was looking at something at that distance I would guess it would be being shot sandbagged, or from a bipod, or in a sled in which case you would want your mount in alignment with your bore and all square in its natural resting position.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:30 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:

That is a good point. At that point I would switch to a 6.5 Gerndal because the superiority of it would overcome all obstacles for me. :twisted:

I typically am talking hunting rigs that are being used in various shooting positions. If I was looking at something at that distance I would guess it would be being shot sandbagged, or from a bipod, or in a sled in which case you would want your mount in alignment with your bore and all square in its natural resting position.

That’s the thing. Someday when you buy your grendel and it’s factory zeroed for a mile but the t-Rex is only a half mile out and you dial down, you’ll have to do some trigonometry in order to hit where you are aiming as you’ll have to account for the cant of the scope to the rifle.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:31 pm

Ghost wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

That’s the thing. Someday when you buy your grendel and it’s factory zeroed for a mile but the t-Rex is only a half mile out and you dial down, you’ll have to do some trigonometry in order to hit where you are aiming as you’ll have to account for the cant of the scope to the rifle.

How do you think I keep my mind sharp as I age?
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:40 pm

And so be it for you but youngsters nowadays only do math by swiping up from the bottom of their cell phone. This could allow t-Rex to escape.
Ghost

PreviousNext

Return to Accessories