Latest scope models, need clarification

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Latest scope models, need clarification

Postby EJSG19 on Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:43 pm

Recently ordered a bolt gun in .223, (Savage model 12, 1 in 7'' twist if you are curious) decided to buy a new scope for it. I've began the process of trying to learn a little about the higher magnification scopes before I buy one though.

It might be more than I need as far as power, but I have my eye on the Nikon Monarch 6-24x50 which is a 1'' tube, thinking BCD or Fine Crosshair, can't say I've made up my mind on the reticle. Seems like they are priced anywhere from $475-650 most places I can find. Ebay has auctions on them also of course. Haven't had a chance to call around to the gun shops to find local prices yet (anyone feel free to chime in on that if you would that would be great). Figure buy a good middle of the road scope now, and maybe I can transplant that to a larger caliber rifle down the road.

I can't figure out the Leupolds and all their model versions. What would be the equivalent Leupold to the above scope? Also I've looked through a friend's Swift a little bit and they seem pretty nice too for the money.

This is my first real rifle, and the intent is to learn how to shoot beyond the 50-75 range that I'm used to with a .22 LR. Apparently I can hold about 1 MOA with their equipment, but I'd like to improve on that. I've heard Warne, Badger, and several other companies make good rings for this kind of scope. If anyone cares to weigh in on what they were to do in my position, I'd be glad to read any opinions you might have. I'd budgeted something like 500-750 bucks on a scope, but less is better to a certain extent.
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Re: Latest scope models, need clarification

Postby ex-LT on Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:41 pm

The Nikon Monarch is an excellent scope, and is on my short list for when I (finally) purchase a target/varmint rifle. As for a comparable Leupold, I believe it would be either the VX-II or VX-3 series.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby Pinnacle on Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:44 pm

Don't overlook Burris - they make very good optics for the $$$
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby Stradawhovious on Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:53 pm

You should sit down with both Mine and Vlads again, just to take a look through. I have the Nikon Monarch 6.5 x 20, and Vlad's is a somethin' or other 6 x 24. I think both are acceptable, but it will give you a good comparison, and at the very least starting point. Best yet, is it will give you (and me) and opportunity to get to the range. :D
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby Einthoven's Triangle on Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:06 pm

Einthoven's Triangle

Postby EJSG19 on Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:48 pm

Stradawhovious wrote:You should sit down with both Mine and Vlads again, just to take a look through. I have the Nikon Monarch 6.5 x 20, and Vlad's is a somethin' or other 6 x 24. I think both are acceptable, but it will give you a good comparison, and at the very least starting point. Best yet, is it will give you (and me) and opportunity to get to the range. :D

But, but, but the rifle is now waiting for me to pick it up. Must mount scope. Must shoot rifle. Must wipe stupid smile off my face because I got a new gun waiting for some trigger time.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone, keep them coming.

Burris was mentioned, what would be the roughly equivalent scope in the Burris line? I am even less familiar with those.
EJSG19

EJSG19

Postby Stradawhovious on Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:03 pm

I have one for you to use in the mean time. Don't worry about it, and don't rush into a purchase.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby ex-LT on Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:06 pm

EJSG19 wrote:Burris was mentioned, what would be the roughly equivalent scope in the Burris line? I am even less familiar with those.

IIRC, the Burris equivalent to the Monarch would be the Black Diamond.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby monschman on Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:09 am

i'll be bringng back your holster finally tuesday night, if you want we can have us a conversation bout this matter, poodle popping is my favourite summer activity (that doesn't involve wimmins)
monschman

Postby EJSG19 on Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:39 am

That works Don. You'll soon find out how little I know about scopes, but the best way to learn is to read and talk about it.

If it was summer time I'd offer a brat or a burger off the grill, but I'll see what I can turn out anyway.

Maybe I'll just pitch the whole thing and mount my BSA 3-9x on this new rifle...

*ducks head*
EJSG19

EJSG19

Postby EJSG19 on Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:53 pm

How about power? 6-24x50 is what I picked out of thin air. Too much, too little? Doubt its too little.

Going on a .223 with 1 in 7'' twist. Range I hope for in the next 6 months is about a max of 300-400 yards in ideal shooting conditions, whatever those are.

Finding nikon monarchs in the $500 range seems to be the going price if you look hard enough. Anyone able to disprove that? Always on the lookout for the best prices...
EJSG19

EJSG19

Postby westberg on Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:05 pm

At the distances you mentioned you could get by with less scope. I will guess that with this rifle you will be spending most of your time shooting within 100yds (you didn't say that, but that's where the fun is for most people) even if you shot 3-gun around here it's only out to 200 yards. I use a 1 x 4 because most of my shooting is within 100yd and used the same scope shooting steel at 200yds. The high magnification is not an advantage close in.

I will edit this post and say if your are planning on just sitting at a bench making slow shots at the longest distances you can find then go with the higher magnification. I think it has been mentioned here a number of times.....define the mission for the rifle. :lol:

My $.02
westberg

Return to Accessories