cantilevered AR scope rings

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Re: cantilevered AR scope rings

Postby yuppiejr on Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:17 am

The Nikon M223 single piece mount in either 1" or 30mm" is my personal favorite AR cantilever mount, you don't need the XR version unless you plan to shoot at particularly long range and have restricted elevation in your optic but it's an option for a few bucks more. A QD optic mount on a varmint rifle is pointless so I don't think the much heavier and mechanically complex Burris PEPR is a good choice for your application. The Nikon is also made in the USA vs China and can be had for less than $60 at Amazon with free shipping.
yuppiejr

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:52 pm

Purchased a Buris P.E.P.R. from Arnazen arms. Probably over paid a bit too much but needed it now. Went next door to Menards to get a line level, LocTite 242 and a paint pen for the install.

2 questions:
- I'm reading about torque specs- I don't want to buy an inches pounds torque wrench- how do I duplicate the spec without a wrench?
- should I put the smooth cap or the pictinny caps?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby yuppiejr on Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:57 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Purchased a Buris P.E.P.R. from Arnazen arms. Probably over paid a bit too much but needed it now. Went next door to Menards to get a line level, LocTite 242 and a paint pen for the install.

2 questions:
- I'm reading about torque specs- I don't want to buy an inches pounds torque wrench- how do I duplicate the spec without a wrench?

Answer 1 - gotta pay to play, or find someone who has one to borrow if you want to know how much torque you are applying
Answer 2 - if you have something to mount on your scope or like extra spots for your rifle to hang up on stuff, go with the rail caps... otherwise smooth is the way to go.
yuppiejr

Postby igofast on Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:40 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Purchased a Buris P.E.P.R. from Arnazen arms. Probably over paid a bit too much but needed it now. Went next door to Menards to get a line level, LocTite 242 and a paint pen for the install.

2 questions:

- An option that will cost you .02 is to take a penny, put it in the slot, and use a pliers to tighten the penny until the it twists.
- smooth...operator...
igofast

Postby UnaStamus on Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:03 pm

I covered it in another thread, but LaRue riflescope mounts are not very good. The lever design was created for red dots, with a minimal engagement surface. It was never designed for riflescopes with absolute return-to-zero capability and lateral stability. Compared to other options like ADM, Bobro, Alamo Four Star and GDI, the LaRue is inferior. There are much better options than LaRue for a scope mount. Still better than the cheap stuff, but in that price point there are better options.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby shooter115 on Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:29 pm

UnaStamus wrote:I covered it in another thread, but LaRue riflescope mounts are not very good. The lever design was created for red dots, with a minimal engagement surface. It was never designed for riflescopes with absolute return-to-zero capability and lateral stability. Compared to other options like ADM, Bobro, Alamo Four Star and GDI, the LaRue is inferior. There are much better options than LaRue for a scope mount. Still better than the cheap stuff, but in that price point there are better options.

Could you post a link please? I'd like to read up more on this. My Larue mount isn't even QD, so return to zero isn't that big of deal. I put it on 3 years ago and haven't touched it since. The LT139 is one of the most common mounts among 3-gun competitors and we beat the crap out of our guns. If there was an issue with the mount I find it hard to believe I wouldn't have experienced it by now or at least heard about it. A lot of folks do have an issue with Larue, but it's usually about the antics of their owner over the actual product.
shooter115

Postby yukonjasper on Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:18 pm

Mounted my Nikon scope with the selected mount/rings. Brought it to the range and dialed it in. Many thanks to Shooter115 For stopping by and showing us how to shoot and setting us straight on the crap ammo we were using. Great to meet you. Thanks for your help and the pleasant company.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby shooter115 on Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:42 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Mounted my Nikon scope with the selected mount/rings. Brought it to the range and dialed it in. Many thanks to Shooter115 For stopping by and showing us how to shoot and setting us straight on the crap ammo we were using. Great to meet you. Thanks for your help and the pleasant company.

Great to meet you guys as well. Sorry I cut out on you so quick, but the wifey shot me a text on the way to the range announcing we were child free for the evening......and well a guys gotta take advantage of certain situations....... lol.

Looks like rifle of yours is a real shooter once the mystery ammo was removed from the equation. 1 moa 5 shot group off a duffel bag with factory ammo is pretty respectable and with a proper rest and rear bags will most likely do much better. Further experimenting with other factory ammo might yeild even better results. A lot of folks have really good luck with the Hornady 50-55 gr V-Max ammo, so that might be worth looking into.

One thing you might want to take a look at on your rig is the trigger. Generally the RRA 2 stage triggers have about 1.5 lbs of take up with a 2.5-3 lb break. Yours seemed to have a fairly gritty 3lb take-up followed by a faint click with about a 3lb break. As it sits it's kinda tough to shoot really well. Seems something is binding up a bit. Next time you're in the neighborhood and have some spare time I'd be happy to take a look at it for you. You've got my number.
shooter115

Postby UnaStamus on Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:46 am

shooter115 wrote:
Could you post a link please? I'd like to read up more on this. My Larue mount isn't even QD, so return to zero isn't that big of deal. I put it on 3 years ago and haven't touched it since. The LT139 is one of the most common mounts among 3-gun competitors and we beat the crap out of our guns. If there was an issue with the mount I find it hard to believe I wouldn't have experienced it by now or at least heard about it. A lot of folks do have an issue with Larue, but it's usually about the antics of their owner over the actual product.

It was on another site...that's why I couldn't find it :shock:

"LaRue mounts were designed for carbine optics and accessories like Aimpoints and lights. They have created a usable riflescope mount, but much like all LaRue mounts, they chew up the rail/base. When you repeatedly remove and replace, you can cause damage to the rail/base, and you will have issues with wear on the rail that can affect return-to-zero (RTZ). I like my LaRue mounts for my Aimpoints, but the levers loosen up over time and I have to tighten them regularly. I've had a rifle lose zero due to loosening LaRue lever. I've never had an ADM lever loosen, because their design prohibits it. For a precision shooting, you don't want any possibility of shift.

John McQuay over at 8541 Tactical did a RTZ test with LaRue mounts, as well as with ADM and Bobro. The LaRue had zero shift. The other two didn't.
There is a pretty significant discussion over this issue over on SnipersHide, and one of the many things highlighted was that the LaRue mounts have among the smallest amount of engagement surface on the rail of all competing mounts. One LaRue lever has about 0.5" of engagement surface. One ADM lever has just a hair over 1.25" of engagement surface. A LaRue riflescope mount will then have around 1" of engagement on the lever side, while the ADM will have just over 2.5" of engagment surface. A SPUHR mount has engagement surface along the entire length of the mount.

SPUHR, GDI and Alamo Four Star are regarded as the strongest options on the market with the most engagement surface and best RTZ. Bobro and ADM are also highly regarded."

------

There was also an Army test of QD riflescope mounts where they tested strength of the mount through shearing, where the scope and mount could be ripped or twisted off the top of the rifle. This was for the PSR contract. GDI and Alamo Four Star were at the top, and Bobro and ADM performed very well. GDI won the contract with the P-ROM. Of the group tested, LaRue was one of the first to fail and it was found that the failure could occur under real world circumsances. I am trying to find the data on it, but Frank Galli over at SnipersHide was privy to the test protocols and has the info if you're on that forum.

It's not a bad mount, it's just not nearly as good as other options, and not as good as people think it is. I have seen damaged LaRue mounts, which is contrary to some of the hype. The design of the lever is such that you have to intentionally over-tighten the bolt in the lever in order keep it from loosening, and that is what causes the damage to the upper rail. That rail damage can cause it to go out of spec. They have always compared themselves against companies like ARMS/Swan, and yes they are lightyears better than them...but not to the others.
The best way to look at a LaRue mount is to consider it a "pinch", as opposed to a "clamp" grip. If there's not torque/torsion, there is no stress to the mount and it's not a problem, which is why they work fine with red dots since it's harder to get leverage on a red dot, and they tend to be lighter.

That, and Mark La Rue is an a-hole and I have a hard time giving him money, but that's immaterial to the quality of the mount.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Previous

Return to Accessories