lets see your Kydex projects

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Re: lets see your Kydex projects

Postby Pat Cannon on Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:00 pm

Here's a minor mod to my Sideguard IWB holster.

I tried to modify the original clip and broke it and decided I didn't like the clip idea, so Srigs was kind enough to replace it with a snap loop. Then I replaced the belt loop with Velcro to go inside my belt like the Comp-Tac 'V-Clip'. That basically worked, but the leather 'tuckability' strut was too floppy. So I made the Kydex strut you see below, and I like it a lot better; the gun's position is much more solid.

The Velcro is adhesive backed but to make it stay on the Kydex I copied Comp-Tac's construction and used staples.

Now the weak point (as you can see) is the cheap paper-like surface of this belt. I might just make a regular belt loop and forget the Velcro. I haven't gotten around to acquiring Chicago screws; the strut's held on with a basic twenty cent rivet that you smack with a hammer.

Pat Cannon

Postby LarryFlew on Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:15 am

some more scraps used. Belt clip (fold in) and pocket clip (fold out) for any item you carry in your pocket but can't afford to lose.
Attachments
clips.jpg
clips.jpg (28.18 KB) Viewed 7161 times
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby LarryFlew on Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:43 pm

Kel Tec P32

If anyone is looking for an easy way to trim, cut curves etc a Lexan Scissor works great. What's that you ask? Curved scissor for trimming the plastic (lexan) bodies for radio controlled cars and trucks. Find one at hobby shops and about $10.
Attachments
kelteckydex.jpg
LarryFlew

Postby FJ540 on Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:19 pm

LarryFlew wrote:some more scraps used. Belt clip (fold in) and pocket clip (fold out) for any item you carry in your pocket but can't afford to lose.

Larry, we're all friends here...

You mexican carry your camera don'tcha? :shock: :hmm: :lol:
FJ540

Postby LarryFlew on Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:24 pm

FJ540 wrote:You mexican carry your camera don'tcha? :shock: :hmm: :lol:

Actually an idea for the granddaughter who is borrowing that camera for a trip to Montana for a week. I've seen her cell and Ipod Touch bounce off of the floor more than once :roll:
LarryFlew

Postby LarryFlew on Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:17 pm

Couple more ideas and projects:

Mag holder for spare 30 rounder in my Kel Tec SU16C. I don't shoot it folded or yes it would be in the way.

Always handy to have some duct tape along but not a whole roll. This takes very little space and has 12 feet of duct tape handy for your use.

One that isn't mine that anyone can do - the kydex golfball :lol:
Attachments
SU16magholder.JPG
kydexducttape.JPG
firstkydex.jpg
LarryFlew

Postby Pat Cannon on Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:46 pm

I finally made a concealment holster for my GP100. My SP101 is a great little gun but if I can carry the GP I get 20% more ammo capacity and another half a pound or so of recoil-absorbing mass. Plus if I carry it, I won't forget to bring it to a steel match.

Since my father-in-law gave me a nice hunk of leather, I copied the basic design of hybrid holsters like the KHolster and the Crossbreed, which have a good reputation for comfort.

Here's the first cut of the leather backer, and the GP100 with sight channel form installed.

Since I am too cheap to buy a heat gun, I used the oven when nobody in my house was looking.

The first try at forming the Kydex. I pulled it out of the oven and smooshed it over the gun with a couple towels.

Trimming the non-flat parts.

Version 1, assembled with J-hooks.

Version 1 installed.

I wasn't satisfied with the retention in Version 1, so I stuck it back in the oven gun and all, and did some more smooshing with gloved fingers.

I also didn't like the J-hooks, so I made regular belt loops. I trimmed down the leather, too. So here's Version 2.

And here's Version 2 installed. I'm really happy with how it positions the grip, both for comfort and concealment, especially considering these grips are about the least concealable ones you can get.

Pat Cannon

Postby LarryFlew on Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:13 pm

Nice job. like the way it seem to fit IWB. Good combo.
LarryFlew

Postby DanM on Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:48 pm

Nice job, Pat! Is that tuckable? Creative use available technology, too.

Let's see .... Pat's Leather Works, Cannon Holsters, Cannon's Comfy Kydex Carriers ... ;)
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
Thomas Jefferson
DanM

Postby whiteox on Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:00 pm

I LIKE it. That really conceals that hand cannon pretty well. Nice job.
whiteox

Postby Pat Cannon on Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:32 pm

wdm004 wrote:Nice job, Pat! Is that tuckable?

Yes it is, although I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense: for it to really work well I need more crap to hang on my belt to hide the big bulge over the cylinder.

Pat Cannon

Postby gyrfalcon on Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:57 pm

Do you know of a place locally that sells Kydex, or do you mainly order it online from someone?
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby Pat Cannon on Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:10 am

gyrfalcon wrote:Do you know of a place locally that sells Kydex, or do you mainly order it online from someone?

I got mine locally as part of a group buy instigated by Strad back in January, as did LarryFlew, which was why he started this thread to see what if anything everybody did with the stuff.
Pat Cannon

Postby gyrfalcon on Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:58 am

goalie wrote:Any one of you guys want to make a sheath for my Helle hunting knife? I bribe with beer. Good beer.

You're asking people to bribe you with beer so they can make you a sheath for your hunting knife? :whatever: hehe..

Pat Cannon wrote:I got mine locally as part of a group buy instigated by Strad back in January, as did LarryFlew, which was why he started this thread to see what if anything everybody did with the stuff.

Industrial Custom Products in Minneapolis.... That's what I was looking for! Thanks :D
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby ktech on Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:58 pm

Are there any plans in the future for another Kydex buy?
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle
ktech

PreviousNext

Return to Accessories