Work Sharp Knife and Tool Sharpener

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Work Sharp Knife and Tool Sharpener

Postby JoeH on Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:13 pm

The Work Sharp Knife and Tool Sharpener is on my Christmas list. This looks like a good product for keeping my blades super sharp.

Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Re: Work Sharp Knife and Tool Sharpener

Postby mnglocker on Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:24 pm

I'd be concerened if the motor is not bi-dectional. you want to face the cutting edge into the friction. If the motor doesn't reverse you'll need to hone the living hell out of your knife when you're done using the mini-belt sander.
-Get a rope Tuco.
What happens in the basement stays in the basement.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
mnglocker

Postby bensdad on Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:42 pm

I'm just not ready to admit that a simple tool can effectively replace a skill that took me some time to learn. :(
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby mnglocker on Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:53 pm

More usefull, probably less money, easy to find belts. You could probably get a canvas cloth belt and apply rouge compound for a "stupid" sharp post sharpening hone job.

http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H8192-1%2 ... 34&sr=8-18

http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H7760-Com ... 74&sr=8-47

http://www.amazon.com/TD-Industrial-San ... 74&sr=8-50
-Get a rope Tuco.

mnglocker

Postby 45usp45 on Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:00 pm

Looks like a useful tool.Going to ask the boss if I can have one.
islam was founded by a violent child molester.
45usp45

Postby bensdad on Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:04 pm

I have all those modalities covered in my modest shop. Each one is too agressive for sharpening work (fine for lawnmower blades and axe heads). I hate to admit it, but a little bit slower, somewhat forgiving belt, with preset angles is a really good idea. I'd have to see first-hand just how sharp the finished product is.
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby 1911fan on Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:29 am

Joe, remember how sharp I got your Spyderco? that was just with a diamond block and a leather strop. No need for the extras.

What scares me about any system that is motorized is taking too much off or getting a wobble started and then never getting it out.
1911fan

Postby jdege on Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:50 am

There's no way I'd spend any money on a tool that could only sharpen knives. I like a sharp knife, but if it isn't exactly perfect, it's not that big a deal.

OTOH, having my chisels exactly perfect is a big deal. And I've actually considered buying one of their Work Sharp 3000 Wood Tool Sharpeners. It's pricey, but good water stones are pricey, too.

(BTW - people talk about shaving with their chisels. That's not exaggeration, and it's not something people do just to show off. A chisel you can't shave with is damned-near useless.)
jdege

Postby JoeH on Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:44 am

1911fan wrote:Joe, remember how sharp I got your Spyderco? that was just with a diamond block and a leather strop. No need for the extras.

What scares me about any system that is motorized is taking too much off or getting a wobble started and then never getting it out.

I could shave with the Spydie that 1911fan sharpened for me. My concern is that I do not have the sharpening skill that he has and do not wish to invest the time to earn it.
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby SAM on Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:56 am

I'm into old school. Dad started showing me how to sharpen knives at about 12 yrs. of age with a wet stone. There is not a knife in or around my home I can't shave with (like I'm going to use a knife to shave). Way more satisfaction in knowing that you put the edge on the blade too--------kinda therapeutic. :shock:
STAYIN' ALIVE DPS/BCA Approved Instructor Organization
NRA Instructor-Pistol-HFS-PPIH
NRA CRSO
N.D. Concealed and Dangerous Weapons Test Administrator
Mn. FAS Instructor
CSI P2C Instructor
Federal Law Enforcement Safety Act of 2004 Trainer
SAM

Location: Right smack-dab in the middle of deer f---ing heaven

Postby Stradawhovious on Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:02 am

If you want a sharp knife, do it by hand. If you want to make your hand sharpened knife seem like a spoon by comparison, get one of these.

If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby jdege on Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:26 am

mnglocker wrote:More usefull, probably less money, easy to find belts. You could probably get a canvas cloth belt and apply rouge compound for a "stupid" sharp post sharpening hone job.

The problem with most cheap grinders is that they run at too high an RPM.
jdege

Postby 1911fan on Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:21 am

jdege wrote:
mnglocker wrote:More usefull, probably less money, easy to find belts. You could probably get a canvas cloth belt and apply rouge compound for a "stupid" sharp post sharpening hone job.

Most are set for 1750, if you use a linen belt, and Green magic buffing compound, its the only automatic way I would use.

Stradie, those are nice for tools, but I can hand sharpen a much finer edge, they would need an 8000 grit stone to match my handwork.
1911fan

Postby mnglocker on Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:34 am

1911fan wrote:
jdege wrote:

Most are set for 1750, if you use a linen belt, and Green magic buffing compound, its the only automatic way I would use.

Stradie, those are nice for tools, but I can hand sharpen a much finer edge, they would need an 8000 grit stone to match my handwork.

Not only that, a round stone will leave a concave edge that will not hold up as well. If you're going to use a non-flat stone, I'll take a hollow stone that gives me a convex edge (aka hollow ground)
-Get a rope Tuco.

mnglocker

Postby Stradawhovious on Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:41 am

1911fan wrote:Stradie, those are nice for tools, but I can hand sharpen a much finer edge....

I highly doubt it. When I'm done with the Tormek, I take a swipe or two on a nice flat 12,000 grit Japanese stone and it brings the edge to a mirror polish, and sharper than any srugical tool you would want to get ahold of. Why anyone would need a kitchen or pocket knife that sharp is beyond me, (I only used this thing for my woodworking chisels) but it can easily be done. You old timers can poo-poo power tools and technology all you want, but in certain cases, with the right tools, humans cant beat them.

That being said, for your pocket knives, man up, get yourself a hard Arkansas, and learn how to use it. :P
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Next

Return to Accessories