1911 Holster advise

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

1911 Holster advise

Postby DieselDood on Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:19 pm

Alrighty guys.... I'm still runnin around with my Springfield Loaded Champion 1911.

I'm currently carrying it in a cheap, strong side holster. I normally carry SOB, and I will probably continue to do so, but I'd like more options.

My "good" holster is a K&D Holsters Cochese Defender, IWB/OWB. Yes I/O because it can be set up with the clips on either side. The problem is.... my build. The Cochese Defender as an OWB, strong side holster is OK, but it litterally covers me from my wallet to over my front pocket. I only wear a 32'' waist pant, and I NEED a belt with them.

So, since my 1911 is my only carry gun, what holster is easy to conceal, comfortable to wear, but will fit my scrawny waist? IWB or OWB, I'd prefer OWB for a strong side because of my pointy hips.

Is this something that I may have to visit Srigs and maybe have custom built?

Thanks guys!
DieselDood

Re: 1911 Holster advise

Postby plblark on Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:22 pm

For the price, I'd give Srigs at sideguard holsters a try. He's mostly found on tcc.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby JoeH on Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:30 pm

DieselDood wrote:I only wear a 32'' waist pant, and I NEED a belt with them.

I have no way to relate :o
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby 1911fan on Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:16 pm

WHat you need is some sort of a yaquis style holster. they are the most compact style out there. an askins avenger style might work too. Both are fairly short front to back

http://www.gunnersalley.com/product/JIT ... lster.html

http://www.gunnersalley.com/product/YSO ... n_YSO.html

http://www.gunnersalley.com/product/YSO ... n_YSO.html

http://www.akerleather.com/ look at his avenger style as well as his flat sider paddles,

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterT3.asp?Pr ... atalogID=4

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterT3.asp?Pr ... atalogID=4

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterT3.asp?Pr ... atalogID=5
1911fan

Postby MNBud on Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:38 am

I have a Springfield Micro Compact 1911 that I carry in a Don Hume H721 that works great for me. I also have a 32 inch waist. I have a number of Hume holsters and think they are a great value.
MNBud

Postby lumbering.buffalo on Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:25 pm

Here's two from Ugly Bald Guy; the Bonneville and the Micro:

http://www.ubgholsters.com/beltholsters.html

For your size and the size of your gun I'd think the Micro would do. I like the high ride which means you don't need to wear something akin to a miniskirt to conceal the holster. :lol:
lumbering.buffalo

Postby BRIT_in_the_weeds on Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:58 pm

Come to the all you can eat breakfast at the Effen Gopher Bar, first Saturday in January, 9:30am, and put some meat on those hips, or better still, a bunch of us overweight white guys, would be willing to donate a few pounds each :twisted: :lol: :lol:
Far better it is to dare mighty things...than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat
T.Roosevelt 1899

Just me and the designated settee, in the weeds.8-)
Thread-F.U master Brit Pei Ying
1/ICC ;-) .1/ICC II.;-)
BRIT_in_the_weeds

Postby Aftrshck on Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:20 pm

Hey skinny guy, go see the big white guy at Bill's North...he will give you the straight up on the information...Oh wait...thats me... :D

I am a bigger guy but there are options you can do even beings that you are the size of my ONE thigh...

BUT, I would highly recommend you think twice about the SOB style carry, especially in Midwest. That is a very dangerous place to carry, both in an attack situation AND in a slip and fall situation....

Bruce
--
~Aftrshck
Aftrshck

Postby Pat on Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:12 pm

A friend sent me this pic earlier today. As you can see, I also have a 32" waist, yet have no problem with a 1911.

32" - Yeah, maybe when I was 7... :rotf:

"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby DieselDood on Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:37 pm

Aftrshck wrote:Hey skinny guy, go see the big white guy at Bill's North...he will give you the straight up on the information...Oh wait...thats me... :D

I am a bigger guy but there are options you can do even beings that you are the size of my ONE thigh...

BUT, I would highly recommend you think twice about the SOB style carry, especially in Midwest. That is a very dangerous place to carry, both in an attack situation AND in a slip and fall situation....

Bruce

Alrighty Big Guy...I'll have to stop in sometime. I usually buzz by Bills south since it's on my way home from work...but since I have someone to look for at the North location, I can stop in up there.

Everyone else, thanks for the feedback! Great stuff! I know SOB carry isn't the best, but in my line of work, and where I work. (mechanic in Edina) I need concealment. I don't have the funds to get a smaller gun, so I'm kinda limited.

Just because I happened to be on the road today....for just under 500 miles...
Where do you guys stow your weapon while on the road? (should I start a new thread?)
DieselDood

Postby Aftrshck on Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:45 pm

either in my holster on my hip or under my leg....

~Aftrshck
--
~Aftrshck
Aftrshck

Postby DieselDood on Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:57 pm

under my leg would be fine for short trips....but 500 miles?

Maybe I just need some more meat on my bones!
DieselDood

Postby 1911fan on Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:11 pm

Last big road trip I just left it in my holster, a OWB blackwidow slide, with a commander length barrel and frame, it does not dig into the seat nor get in the way of the seat belt.

Putting a gun under your leg is a issue if you have an accident, all of a sudden you have lost control or your gun, Remember this was a big deal in the Miami shootout that the FBI was involved in, an officer had his weapon under his thigh, the BG"s caused a traffic accident and the agent lost both his glasses and his weapon, which more or less doomed him. I work with a guy who has one of the holsters that is bolted to his dashboard, and his goes there when driving, but around town, or even on the commute, he leaves his in his waist holster as well,
1911fan

Postby Aftrshck on Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:15 pm

1911fan wrote:Last big road trip I just left it in my holster, a OWB blackwidow slide, with a commander length barrel and frame, it does not dig into the seat nor get in the way of the seat belt.

Putting a gun under your leg is a issue if you have an accident, all of a sudden you have lost control or your gun, Remember this was a big deal in the Miami shootout that the FBI was involved in, an officer had his weapon under his thigh, the BG"s caused a traffic accident and the agent lost both his glasses and his weapon, which more or less doomed him. I work with a guy who has one of the holsters that is bolted to his dashboard, and his goes there when driving, but around town, or even on the commute, he leaves his in his waist holster as well,

that is a good point....however, I just don't get in accidents :D hehe

98% of the time it is in my holster on my hip...because it does not interfere or get uncomfortable for long trips....

~Aftrshck
--
~Aftrshck
Aftrshck

Postby BRIT_in_the_weeds on Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:19 pm

Dood, if the fat guy from Bills N didn't make you feel small, anyone remember Eric Heiden 8-)

28 inch waist.... 8-)

32 INCH THIGHS :shock: 8-) ...oh and 5 Olympic Gold medals.

http://static.userland.com/images/anand/EricHeiden.jpg
Far better it is to dare mighty things...than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat
T.Roosevelt 1899

Just me and the designated settee, in the weeds.8-)
Thread-F.U master Brit Pei Ying
1/ICC ;-) .1/ICC II.;-)
BRIT_in_the_weeds

Next

Return to Accessories