Custom night sites for a Ruger Security 6?

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Custom night sites for a Ruger Security 6?

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:32 pm

|Howdy,
I am assuming, since I don't see any manufacturers offering them, that if I want to get night sights for my Security 6 that it will have to be a custom job.

I guess I can always bring it to Gander Mountain in Lakeville, but:
- are there any "on the market" sights I'm missing?
-Are there any other suggestions for doing what I want to do?
- who else could I bring it to for the work to be done?

Essentially the Security 6 is the "night stand gun" in a small safe near my bed and I thinking that it should be fitted out to function better for that purpose - ergo night sights.

My G36 has a front tritium sight, but it resides in a small safe on the main floor as this is my Carry Gun and I want it handy when I leave the house etc. It was just recently that I put the downstairs holding safe in. I was getting sick of running up stairs everytime I wanted to leave the house and didn't want to have it lying around until I went upstairs to re-secure it. Guests would drop by and give me the "look" when they would see it out on the kitchen counter waiting to be brought upstairs. They know how I am, but I don't want people to feel uncomfortable when they are at my house.

I guess I could put my Taurus PT99 in duty, I imagine there would be aftermarkets for that. I guess I feel like I'd want as big a wound path as humanly possible, especially if I don't have to carry it around with me, which is why I chose the .357 for this duty.

Trust me, I've thought about mounting a light on my Mossberg 500 and standing it in the closet, but I don't want to have a weapon unsecured. I don't have kids, but my housekeeper sometimes brings her kids when she cleans, friends bring thier kids-you know the drill.

Someone straighten me out.

Thanks in advance for your help.

YukonJasper
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: Custom night sites for a Ruger Security 6?

Postby 1911fan on Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:42 pm

I no longer have a security six, and can not remember if the front sight is a continuous part of the barrel forging or if it's pinned in to a slot on the barrel.

IF its pinned, then making a replacement blade or finding one that has a meprolight vial should be fairly easy, if its a single pice machined out, then replacing is a matter of getting a dovetail machined into the ramp and a new blade found.

There used to be a smith who worked at Ahlmans who would drill and mount vials in existing sights, but I think they stopped doing that....
1911fan

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:56 pm

1911 it is pinned. I'm surprised that some enterprising company wouldn't come up with a set up for this. Anyway, thanks. A buddy of mine had some work done on a shotgun at Ahlmans. I suppose I could bring it by Gander and get a price and then take the drive down to Cabela's and stop at Ahlman's on the way - if you can realistically say they are on the way. Do you think I could get away with a phone call. I would assume they would know what I need.

Thanks again.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby 1911fan on Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:02 pm

With it being a pinned sight, It would depend on the base, but maybe meprolights makes a front blade that will seat in. if so, its a five minute job to push the pins and reset the new blade. I have done them on S&W's with pinned front sights and they are easy.
1911fan

Postby yukonjasper on Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:55 am

I checked the Meprolight website and they don't specifically mention the Security Six, but I imagine a good gun smith could tell me whether one of the other sights will work or could be slightly modified to fit. I may be off on a Safari today to get this one solved.

Thanks for your help.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby 1911fan on Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:13 pm

The phone is your friend in situations like this, get on the phone and call around, a few LD calls are a lot cheaper than driving ( ALTHOUGH do not let me be the one who keeps you from a day of driving around to gun shops)
1911fan

Return to Accessories