Secure-it handgun safe-any thoughts?

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Secure-it handgun safe-any thoughts?

Postby yukonjasper on Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:44 am

Howdy,
I am toying with the idea of buying a small lock box to keep in my car. The one I'm looking at is the Secure It handgun storage safe from Sportsman's Guide. It's not a huge investment, but I'm wondering if anyone else has one and whether they are worth having. It appears that it won't be large enough to be able to put the Kydex IWB holster with my G36 in it, so the G36 would have to go in alone and the holster in the glove box or where ever. Not a big deal.

Anyway, you guys have been great in helping me out on other stuff, let me know your thoughts.

YukonJasper
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: Secure-it handgun safe-any thoughts?

Postby Pat Cannon on Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:04 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Howdy,
I am toying with the idea of buying a small lock box to keep in my car. The one I'm looking at is the Secure It handgun storage safe from Sportsman's Guide. It's not a huge investment, but I'm wondering if anyone else has one and whether they are worth having. It appears that it won't be large enough to be able to put the Kydex IWB holster with my G36 in it, so the G36 would have to go in alone and the holster in the glove box or where ever. Not a big deal.

Anyway, you guys have been great in helping me out on other stuff, let me know your thoughts.

YukonJasper

I like mine; I own two of them, keyed alike. The web page's phrase "Like a mobile bank vault" is an exaggeration to be sure. The cable could be cut with much less than bank-vault-opening tools, but it's a convenient and reasonably secure box that feels very solid and well made. I have a station wagon, so, no lockable trunk, and it's under my driver's seat, a heck of a lot more convenient -- and discreet -- than digging a gun case out of my spare tire well!

You're right about the holster not fitting. My 3" Ruger GP100 with the big Hogue grips just fits in the large size box (there's a medium and a large). There's more info here on the size. Both Bill's locations sell them for a few bucks more if you want to fondle one first and get it right away.
Pat Cannon

Postby plblark on Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:19 pm

I have a Large which fits a 1911 with the slide locked back and an external mag. I want to get a small one for my J-frame. It keeps the grab and go thieves at bay anyway.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby Aceq2jot on Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:28 pm

I also have two large one's. I keep one in each vehicle and had them re-keyed with medeco locks so they cant be opened with a screw driver, but then my brother is a locksmith and he decided to do them for me :)

Other than that they do the job and were a good price and out of sight out of mind is always good. If they cant see them they dont know :D
Really i am your worst Nightmare, for i walk the night and the cover of darkness belongs to me :D

You cant make a pile of Dog shat smell like a rose a bunch of Roses, so why try ???
Aceq2jot

Postby Pat Cannon on Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:32 pm

Aceq2jot wrote:I also have two large one's.

Yeah I heard that about you. ;)
Pat Cannon

Postby onebohemian on Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:53 pm

I have two, both large sized as well. I can fit my G19 in its Comp-Tac C.T.A.C. IWB holster into it. You have to think about this as more of a deterent than anything else. If someone breaks into your vehicle for a smash and grab, they won't be taking this lockbox. If they have time and tools to cut the cable, it's bye bye. You can, however, bolt the box down inside your vehicle, which would at least eliminate the cable-cutting possibility, but I think someone could still pop these open with a straight screwdriver or decent sized knife.

Bill's usually stocks them as well. Typically the large size is around $34 or $36. If you order directly from what appears to be the manufacturer (Center of Mass), you can get them keyed the same way.
Mark

"Edited to remove prohibited content."(2009).

"It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it." (In honor of 'Goalie,' 2013).
onebohemian

Postby Aceq2jot on Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:58 pm

onebohemian wrote:Bill's usually stocks them as well. Typically the large size is around $34 or $36. If you order directly from what appears to be the manufacturer (Center of Mass), you can get them keyed the same way.

Its a simple lock that a locksmith would swap out for under $10 for two keyed alike. Unless you buy a high security lock for it :D
Really i am your worst Nightmare, for i walk the night and the cover of darkness belongs to me :D

You cant make a pile of Dog shat smell like a rose a bunch of Roses, so why try ???
Aceq2jot

Postby Srigs on Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:23 pm

I have and use a large model one for my needs.
Srigs,

http://www.sideguardholsters.com
http://www.sideguardholsters.com/blog

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.
Srigs

Postby plblark on Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:38 am

I agree, it's a deterrent, not an absolute. Even with REALLY good locks, you can pry the case given enough time. My use it to eliminate passenger access if I have to leave it in the car with someone in the car. That, and keeping the odd smash a window, grab anything loose type robbery from netting my firearm.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby bobby b on Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:48 pm

I travel a fair amount, and I use the $34 model from Frontiersman as my own hotel safe. I sent one with my son to his new dorm this week as a money/meds/documents keeper. And I keep one in the car.

Yeah, you can break into them, or you can cut the lock. For $34, you're not getting perfect safety - but it will slow someone down, or stop the casual grabber.

(If you don't want to break in, you can wait for someone like my son to come along and attach his, in which case you can simply lift the bed up and pull the cable out from under the leg. Sigh. That's my boy.)
bobby b

Postby Squib Joe on Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:30 pm

yukonjasper wrote: It appears that it won't be large enough to be able to put the Kydex IWB holster with my G36 in it, so the G36 would have to go in alone and the holster in the glove box or where ever. Not a big deal.

We've been stocking the Pac-Safe in addition to the Secure-It. The Pac-Safe is a lot more versatile when it comes to bulkier items.. and you would have no problem putting in a handgun, holster and all. They run 39.95

"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Pat on Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:50 pm

Cool! And it comes stuffed with Euros ;)
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Return to Accessories