Vests?

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Re: Vests?

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:28 pm

How the hell do you guys know all this?
sgruenhagen44

Postby 20mm on Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:59 pm

Pinnacle wrote:I don't understand where you are coming from, or what your point is exactly. Government Officials looking for kickbacks? How do you think that happens exactly - just asking...

As for the DoD Standards, they are Classified and that's all that anyone needs to know.

You really don't understand how kickbacks work? Try educating yourself: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=military+kickbacks

At least you're in agreement with the department of defense. The GAO disagrees with you.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33347546/ns ... O9WNvJXZsE
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:14 pm

YEA!
sgruenhagen44

Postby Pinnacle on Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:48 am

Notice what happens to people that accept kickbacks or conspire to do so? They are in JAIL. I know about the GAO report intimately I was involved in its formulation on the periphery.

This thread has drifted way out of its original lane.

Suffice it to say I have forgotten more about the personal armor business than most will ever know. I do this for pay.

Like I said. The ESAPI is a military requirement plate with a classified performance spec and would not be optimal for other than battlefield use.

Thre is another point you are missing. Weight. But that's another story for another time.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby cgrant26 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:18 am

Pinnacle wrote:
rukwikenuf wrote:i think it's probably better than nothing, but i'd rather have an old Viet Nam era flak jacket.

For what?

1. ZYLON is not used in the construction of vests anymore and has not been used for such in many moons.
2. Wear what you carry for a level of protection. I like NIJ2
3. The lighter the weight, the higher the price.
4. Buy NEW and buy something that has the appropriate NIJ Labeling. Dont be a cheapass with your life.
5. Get fit by a professional
6. if you GAIN weight - and the vest doesnt fit - cry to someone else and not the guy that sold you the vest
7. Store the vest FLAT - don't hang it.
8. Buy an additional carrier, you will need it.
9. If you get attacked with a rifle - anything less than NIJ3 is worthless and there are no NIJ3 soft armors available... Hard Armor ONLY SAPI Style Plates which are very expensive and must be used with an appropriate vest.

http://nij.gov/topics/technology/body-armor/welcome.htm

There are some lower cost plate options for rifle protection. Carriers can be had for cheap enough and with a little work and craftsmanship, you can effectively prevent spalling too.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/132947 ... e_OP_.html

To sum the thread up, a bunch of people spent weeks developing methods to contain spalling on AR500 plates, many failures and some resounding successes. Enlightening thread. Check page 60 for pics of how a couple of the better solutions faired.

That said, nothing guarantees that you still won't get messed up from a round strike that was stopped by your DIY plate (including spall) but a chance of potential injury can't be any worse than a guaranteed hole in your chest.

EDIT: Looks like I jumped in a bit late here. Apologies if I'm derailing a perfectly good thread hijack. :?
cgrant26

Postby ktech on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:09 pm

cgrant26 wrote:Looks like I jumped in a bit late here. Apologies if I'm derailing a perfectly good thread hijack. :?

You jerk... how dare you.

:lol:

Seems like an interesting DIY sort of solution... not sure I'd want to wear AR500 on my chest, but to each their own. :)
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle
ktech

Postby Pinnacle on Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:11 am

Uuugh,

AR500 is not armor steel it is wear plate. It just happens to stop bullets sometimes.

Try Armox600 or BP633.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby 20mm on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:26 pm

Just suit up in chobham. You never know when an A-10 will ghetto blast ya.
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Previous

Return to Accessories