What kind of knife is Spyderco Citadel? (Auto knife topic)

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

What kind of knife is Spyderco Citadel? (Auto knife topic)

Postby solidgun on Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:53 am

I am trying to figure out if Spyderco Citadel is legal to carry in the Twin Cities area.

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=690

I see that it is classified as AUTO knife. Can someone clarify the switchblade law as it pertains to this area for this type of side opening knife?
Last edited by solidgun on Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. —PROVERBS 18:2
solidgun

Re: What kind of knife is Spyderco Citadel?

Postby gyrfalcon on Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:10 am

solidgun wrote:I am trying to figure out if Spyderco Citadel is legal to carry in the Twin Cities area...

It's not legal, you can only have as a collector and can not carry it.
(4) manufactures, transfers, or possesses metal knuckles or a switch blade knife opening automatically; or

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=609.66
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby SleepingJake on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:55 am

Mini review-

I've carried this knife for the past 6 months in Iraq and Kuwait and it's held up extremely well. I use this knife daily and it sees everything from cutting antenna mounts off Caimans to opening care packages. The blade has held it's edge extremely well, when I say that I mean that I've only sharpened this knife ONCE, even being sandwiched between 5 inches of armor and silicone I've only seen one tiny chip in the blades edge. The knife opens on the push of a button and opens up with authority. There is also a manual safety which is activated by pushing the switch below the blade release up. The handle is all metal and (I believe) is parkerized and gives you and extremely firm and comfortable grip. The pocket clip is set to provide the perfect amount of retention. It's also reversible for left or right pocket carry and is only configurable for tip up carry. This is the fourth Spyderco knife that I've owned and I've been extremely impressed with all of them, from their budget knifes to the auto knives. Thanks to the great state of Minnesota I'm also allowed to carry this knife when I get home.

(Sorry for the crappy iPhone photo
SleepingJake

Postby Hanns on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:11 pm

Jake, how is it legal for you to carry? I could see on drill or something since it would be a federal installation but you can carry it as a civvie? Please explain, I'm just a dumb (ex)-grunt and easily cornfused... :)
Hanns
Hanns

Postby Squib Joe on Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:03 am

I'm not aware of an exception for our servicemen allowing them to carry these. Is this a new law, Jake?
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Dill on Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:44 am

does this apply to all assisted opening knives?

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/SWSPECLS/smith-
Dill

Postby DanM on Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:29 am

Dill wrote:does this apply to all assisted opening knives?

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/SWSPECLS/smith-

Don't confuse assisted opening (AO) knives with automatic opening knives (switchblades). Switchblades are illegal in all fifty states. Assisted opening knives are legal in all fifty states with the exception of libtard places like New York city.

This link explains the differences better than I can. http://aoknives.com/switchblades-vs-assisted

Also, there are different 'layers' of law on knives. Federal (mainly switchblades), state (definition of dangerous weapons), and local/city. There is no MN state law on length of pocket folders. There are city ordinances in both Minneapolis and St Paul. Both allow AO, and both limit the folder to four inch length blades.

Minneapolis, Minnesota, Code of Ordinances >> - CODE OF ORDINANCES >> Title 15 - OFFENSES—MISCELLANEOUS >> CHAPTER 393. - WEAPONS >> ARTICLE I. - GENERALLY

393.10. - Definitions.

Terms used in this chapter, unless expressly defined, shall have the meanings prescribed by the statutes of the State of Minnesota for the same terms. The following terms shall have the following meanings:

(f)
Weapon means any device designed as a weapon and capable of producing death, great bodily harm, or substantial bodily harm; or any other device or instrumentality which, in the manner it is used or intended to be used, is calculated or likely to produce death, great bodily harm, or substantial bodily harm, or the reasonable and immediate fear thereof. "Weapon" includes Chinese stars. "Weapon" does not include (1) except when used as a weapon, a folding knife with a blade of four (4) inches or less in length, measured in a straight line from the point to the handle; or (2) a firearm, unless expressly included by section 393.20(b). (Code 1960, As Amend., § 877.010; Ord. of 4-9-76, §§ 1, 2; 77-Or-221, § 1, 10-28-77; 85-Or-098, § 1, 5-10-85; 86-Or-149, § 1, 6-27-86; 87-Or-106, § 1, 6-12-87; 2007-Or-073, § 1, 10-5-07)

St. Paul, Minnesota, Code of Ordinances >> PART II - LEGISLATIVE CODE >> Title XXIII - PUBLIC HEALTH, SAFETY AND WELFARE >> Chapter 225. - Weapons

Sec. 225.01. - Definitions.

The following terms shall have the following meanings:

Knife shall mean dirk, dagger, stiletto, switchblade knife, spring blade knife, push button knife, a folding knife with a blade in excess of four (4) inches, a machete, a bayonet, or any fixed-blade knife, carried in a concealed manner or within reach of any person in a motor vehicle.

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
Thomas Jefferson
DanM

Postby Dill on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:12 am

thanks for the info Dan!
Dill

Postby 2in2out on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:10 am

I think any member of the "militia" is allowed to carry autos. I think that's a Federal law.

I've also heard that collectors can possess autos as part of their collection, but not carry. This is a little ambiguous, and I haven't seen the actual statute which allows this. The statute cited earlier just says they're generally illegal to both possess and carry.

For members of the general public, it appears that MN law forbids us to possess OR carry autos.

What really bugs me is, how illegal can they be, if, at every single gun show I attend, they're being sold out in the open? Not only possessed, but sold. They must be legal, as stated, for collectors, but that's just my assumption by seeing how many people get away with it.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby PileDriver on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:41 am

The assisted knives with the flipper are nice. I have a cheap S&W one that broke (it was a good year and a half of messed up abuse though).

The text of the federal law does concern me a bit that in the unlikely event someone is inspecting your knife, it could be viewed that them flippers are illegal. One of those "beat the charge, but not the ride" situations.

(b) The term ''switchblade knife'' means any knife having a blade
which opens automatically -
(1) by hand pressure applied to a button or other device in the
handle of the knife, or
(2) by operation of inertia, gravity, or both.

Edit: Upon further reading, I am way wrong. :mrgreen: Sometimes I'm glad about that. Amendment 1447 of blah blah blah handled that. :D
PileDriver

Postby ree on Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:56 pm

DanM wrote:Switchblades are illegal in all fifty states.

FYI, Switchblades are no longer illegal to sell or carry in New Hampshire (cite).
ree

Postby Squib Joe on Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:34 pm

2in2out wrote:What really bugs me is, how illegal can they be, if, at every single gun show I attend, they're being sold out in the open? Not only possessed, but sold. They must be legal, as stated, for collectors, but that's just my assumption by seeing how many people get away with it.

What are they getting away with? Auto knives are legal to sell, buy, and own. Only carry is prohibited. I guess you could say the are getting away with carrying it from the gun show to their vehicle.... :idea:

Military and LEOs are allowed to carry in the course of their duties, but not otherwise. If you have one arm you can also carry one.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby arizona98tj on Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:40 pm

DanM wrote:Switchblades are illegal in all fifty states.

Dan, Arizona has no such law on the books regarding switchblades. We are a little more lax out here and don't get wound around the axle as tightly as some states do regarding such things. To reduce the possibility of an LEO claiming your switchblade is a concealed weapon, should you find yourself using it in a defensive situation, it is suggested that you carry it in a sheath on your belt....it is then the same as any other open carry weapon you put on your belt. Of course, if you have a CCW permit, then having it in your pocket is no problem.

For what it is worth, switchblades are openly bought and sold in Arizona....and the LEO's don't wait outside the stores to arrest you either.

Not trying to stir anything up....just saying.

Here is something that many folks don't know unless they really follow knife rights....SB1153 was passed in the spring of 2010....and subsequently became a law later in the year. (blatantly plagiarized from SonoranNews.com)

The Arizona Legislature has passed the nation's first Knife Preemption Law, sponsored by Knife Rights and national grassroots knife owners organization based in Arizona. By bipartisan votes of 36-19 in the Arizona House and 19-9 in the Arizona Senate, SB1153, Knife Rights' Knife Law Preemption Bill, has been sent to Governor Jan Brewer for her signature, which is anticipated next week. It will take effect 90 days after the legislature adjourns and not only prevents political subdivisions from enacting new ordinances and rules, but voids all existing restrictive knife ordinances. In combination with Arizona's recently enacted constitutional concealed carry law, knife owners in Arizona will enjoy the most accommodating knife laws in the country.
arizona98tj

Postby cobb on Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:30 pm

Squib Joe wrote:Military and LEOs are allowed to carry in the course of their duties, but not otherwise.

I would really like to see this statute or exception to the statute for LEO's to carry during the course of their duties. I have looked and found no such thing, that is why I ask.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby gyrfalcon on Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:13 am

cobb wrote:
Squib Joe wrote:Military and LEOs are allowed to carry in the course of their duties, but not otherwise.

I would really like to see this statute or exception to the statute for LEO's to carry during the course of their duties. I have looked and found no such thing, that is why I ask.

+1 ... I know they're exempt from the federal regulations on interstate sale, but I haven't seen anything that would exempt them from local statutes.
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Next

Return to Accessories