Safe accessories that you like?

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Safe accessories that you like?

Postby FJ540 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:42 pm

I don't have a full safe (yet :lol: ) so room isn't a problem, but I'm wondering what products/gadgets you guys have found that you really like using in yours?
FJ540

Re: Safe accessories that you like?

Postby gyrfalcon on Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:48 pm

silicon socks, rod dehumidifiers.
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby Norsesmithy on Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:53 pm

LED rope lights.
Norsesmithy

Postby gyrfalcon on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:00 pm

Norsesmithy wrote:LED rope lights.

aka: Christmas lights. :mrgreen:
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby FJ540 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:07 pm

Mines big enough that seeing in there isn't a problem. :mrgreen: If there wasn't a center divider, I could easily fit in it.
FJ540

Postby Norsesmithy on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:07 pm

The set I bought were labled as being for use in safes, but were only slightly more expensive than a set of January clearance lights. The special feature was an end that had spade connectors instead of that socket style end that lets you connect a couple strings together. Made it so you don't have to splice the wires to thread them through the slim little holes pre drilled in the back of most safes intended to be used to bolt them to walls.
Norsesmithy

Postby FJ540 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:21 pm

Mine's fire rated, so there's only one hole in the back to equalize pressure and they advise against drilling more.

I'm not sure if I'll do a heater or not. I keep the area it's in humidity and temp controlled year round, and rust hasn't been an issue for the past 4 years. Now if it was in my garage, that would be another issue entirely.

Lights are a valid upgrade depending on what configuration you have. They do look cool too. 8-)

Anyone use the door accessory racks?
FJ540

Postby Squib Joe on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:27 pm

I thought this dial lights were a pretty good idea

"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby FJ540 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:24 am

So now that it's in place, I've gotta chew on some yummy crow. Mmmmm :lol:

It's pretty dark in there with the room light almost directly overhead. I'll be doing some in-safe lighting for sure.
FJ540

Postby gyrfalcon on Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:40 am

hydrometer is also a good idea.
gyrfalcon

Postby FJ540 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:54 am

LED rope light is installed and it's anchored to the floor.

I'm going to put a power box inside it in case I want to add a heater later, and rig up a switched outlet so the lights come on automatically.
FJ540

Postby Bitter Bastard on Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:53 pm

Ropes lights work as great lighting in a safe. Rig up a momentary switch from radio shack if you want them to go out when you close the door. If I had to do it again, I'd forgo the golden rods and just leave the lights on all the time.

Rubber coated wire pistol racks work great for holding lots of pistols in a small space. I like the ones Cabela's sells but I doubt they are any functionally different than the brand Fleet Farm sells.

My interiors are covered with velcro stickable carpet. You can buy velcro strips for cheap at a fabric store and is then great for holding knives or bayonets on the door, attaching holsters to the sides, etc. You can also get door organizers that look like really good ideas but weren't available when I got my safes together.

My safes have heaters (one golden rod, one other brand) PLUS each has a can of silica gel that gets put in the over once a month. Better safe than sorry.

I also have humidity meters in each safe plus another one in the room so I can check to see how the safe's weather is compared to the room.

One other thing I added to one safe is a small shelf all the way up top. It is made of a 1x4 or maybe a 1x6. With it all the way in back, it doesn't take up much usable space from the main top shelf, doesn't block light, and holds lots of small items such as spare keys, collectable coins, and so on. I put on small wooden runners coming forward so it sits on 4 shelf clips and is nice and stable.

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Postby FJ540 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:00 pm

Axman is a much better source for momentary switches. ;)

I'm also thinking of making a door mount for an AR - open the door and it's right there.
FJ540

Postby unit44justin on Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:52 pm

I have yet to buy This Light setup, but the folks over at Calguns.net have nothing but great things to say about it. I am trying to get some pictures of the amber and red setup before I make the purchase.

I have an entry level Liberty centurion safe and was curious as to what people like for door organizers? I bought a cheap lockdown brand organizer from gander but am not really a fan as it uses hooks that stick into the fabric on the door and feel that adding enough weight will eventually tear the fabric or stretch it out.
unit44justin

Postby tim on Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:08 pm

Does anyone have a second document safe within their safe for things like passports, savings bonds, home abstract, vehicle titles? My safe is fire rated but important documents still leave me kind of nervous.
tim

Next

Return to Accessories