Mag question(s)

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Mag question(s)

Postby wildfan1 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:38 pm

So I'm pretty new, ok, REALLY new to the AR-15 world. Can some of you wily ol' AR-15 vets provide a noob with some mag education? I see metal and poly mags. Whats the difference, besides the obvious? One preferable to the other? Also, mag capacity...personal preference or is there benefit to smaller or larger cap mags? Finally, are all mags created equal, or are there certain brands that are superior from a quality standpoint? Are there certain brands that are known problems that should be avoided? Oh, and one more final question...i have 1 AR (so far). How many mags do you guys typically own per rifle?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
wildfan1

Re: Mag question(s)

Postby JJ on Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:42 pm

I only run P-mags. If a gun is finicky about mags, it will run the P-mags or there is something wrong with the gun. Do not try and use the cheaper polymer mags, they are spotty at best and for the cost savings they are not worth the headache.

For metal mags I like the Brownell's ones.

I like to buy at minimum a 5 pack of mags for each and every gun.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby jshuberg on Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:12 pm

I second that. The Magpul P-mag is a fantastic product. I have 30 of them. I've never had a magazine related malfunction with them after around 10K rounds. As far as polymer mags go, there's nothing better.

There are several reasons why the P-mag is better than steel mags. They have a patented anti-tilt, self lubricating follower that provides more reliable feeding than found in other magazines. Despite being polymer, they are generally more durable than steel magazines. At least as far as being dropped from a crane and run over by a car is concerned. Steel magazines can also scratch or damage anodized aluminum, where a polymer magazine will be much easier on the mag well.

If you want a steel magazine, I've found that the HK mags are top shelf. Magpul sells their anti-tilt followers separately, so if you wanted to install them in an HK or other steel magazine, they should fit in just about anything. I've gotten rid of all my other AR-15 mags, P-Mags and HKs are all I'll ever need.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby yuppiejr on Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:22 pm

I run PMags in the non-windowed 20 and 30 round variety. I've heard good things about Lancer mags (poly/steel hybrid design), never used them - when I ran GI style mags I liked the C-Products stainless steel magazines with Magpul followers the best as far as reliability and function.

Buy 10 and you should be set for a long, long time. There's a link I posted to a deal at Botach Tactical to get the 30 round non windowed PMags for $12 each, shipped, which is the best price around at the moment.
yuppiejr

Postby JJ on Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:24 pm

yuppiejr wrote: There's a link I posted to a deal at Botach Tactical to get the 30 round non windowed PMags for $12 each, shipped, which is the best price around at the moment.

Not sure if Botach is still running that, but JoeBoboutfitters always has them for $13, like 5% off if you use PM as a promo code and free shipping over $90 as well.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Sigfan220 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:38 pm

I also run Brownells. The ones I have are 20's for bench shooting and hunting. My 30's are all surplus. I have a couple P mags, they work fine. I just always seem to grab the metal ones when I hit the range.
Sigfan220

Postby jshuberg on Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:00 pm

JJ wrote:Not sure if Botach is still running that

They still are.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Norsesmithy on Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:32 pm

Pmags are good mags, if you want metal mags, the HK and FN stainless steel mags are high quality as are the Colt, D&H, and Brownells Aluminum mags (esp when used with Magpul followers). I've had good luck so far with one stainless steel Korean mag, but I've not yet read reviews from sources I trust or used it enough to endorse it strongly yet. Lancer polymer mags are well regarded also.

Most stainless mags have metal self leveling followers, there's not much point to putting an aftermarket follower in them.

Just a warning, Pmags don't drop free from all rifles, I know more than one shooter who uses USGI mags exclusively because of this.
Norsesmithy

Postby yuppiejr on Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:58 pm

Norsesmithy wrote:Pmags are good mags, if you want metal mags, the HK and FN stainless steel mags are high quality as are the Colt, D&H, and Brownells Aluminum mags (esp when used with Magpul followers). I've had good luck so far with one stainless steel Korean mag, but I've not yet read reviews from sources I trust or used it enough to endorse it strongly yet. Lancer polymer mags are well regarded also.

Most stainless mags have metal self leveling followers, there's not much point to putting an aftermarket follower in them.

Just a warning, Pmags don't drop free from all rifles, I know more than one shooter who uses USGI mags exclusively because of this.

The only rifles I've seen this problem with typically had an out of spec magwell.
yuppiejr

Postby promod1385 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:20 pm

Norsesmithy wrote:Pmags are good mags, if you want metal mags, the HK and FN stainless steel mags are high quality as are the Colt, D&H, and Brownells Aluminum mags (esp when used with Magpul followers). I've had good luck so far with one stainless steel Korean mag, but I've not yet read reviews from sources I trust or used it enough to endorse it strongly yet. Lancer polymer mags are well regarded also.

I have a rifle with out of spec magwell (bought it from Yuppie actually). It works fine with sanded pmags. Magpul has directions for sanding magazines to fit on there website.
promod1385

Postby yuppiejr on Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:21 pm

Yep, Olympic, Palmetto, Spikes and a few others have all put out lowers with fairly tight magwells (mine was an Olympic), since removing material in the magwell would also remove the protective finish/anodizing it's usually better just to mod the magazines as Promod indicated.

An older thread on AR15 talking about the 4 lower makers out there and who puts their roll mark on them (not sure how current the info still is):

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_12/31811 ... ed___.html
yuppiejr

Return to Accessories