Crossbreed holster question

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Crossbreed holster question

Postby CraigJS on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:00 pm

Crossbreed Super Tuck ?? What are the advantages/ disadvantages of the two leather types offered, Cowhide or horsehide.
Cow is 15.00 more, why, is it better some how ? More comfort when worn ? More durable ? I know it's not just the color..
Advice from those that have either one or better yet BOTH. If it matters it's for a XD9sc. Thanks!
CraigJS

Re: Crossbreed holster question

Postby Thunder71 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:32 pm

I had one, quickly sold it. If that's your thing I'd recommend checking out Old Faithful Holsters, way better for the money.

Sent using Tapatalk 2, thanks for supporting it.
Thunder71

Postby grousemaster on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:16 pm

Thunder71 wrote:I had one, quickly sold it. If that's your thing I'd recommend checking out Old Faithful Holsters, way better for the money.

Galco King-Tuk is a much better value (and better holster IMO)
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby Paul on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:41 pm

Paul

Postby Chunkychuck on Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:55 am

I like my crossbreed. I have the horsehide. It is the horsehide that is more expensive. Here is the answer as to why horsehide from their FAQ's.

"Horsehide is a denser and tighter grained flesh than cowhide. This results in it being more moisture resistant. Customers in very humid climates or who tend to sweat heavily find this to be a useful option as horsehide tolerates dampness better. Horsehide is only available in natural as it's moisture resistance can also cause it to not take dye well. Additionally, the natural finish is very attractive on Horsehide.

Horsehide is a limited option as it is not always available, during times when it is not available, the option will be removed from the selections. In other words, if you see it, you can order it."
Chunkychuck

Postby weck on Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:13 am

grousemaster wrote:
Thunder71 wrote:I had one, quickly sold it. If that's your thing I'd recommend checking out Old Faithful Holsters, way better for the money.

I have a Crossbreed and a Galco and for the money I would say the Galco is a better and more comfortable holster...
weck

Postby cobb on Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:22 am

Chunkychuck wrote:"Horsehide is a denser and tighter grained flesh than cowhide. This results in it being more moisture resistant. "

I was told by a couple holster makers the above same thing.

Gary Brommeland of Brommland Gunleather says that he prefer cowhide because it is not as dense as horsehide which allows the stitching on a holster to pull into it. He believes that protects the stitching because it is pulled into the leather instead of riding on the surface which makes the stitching more vulnerable to wear and abrasion.

I think the big plus of horsehide is probably it being more moisture resistant. But then in today's world, I don't know why there isn't some kind of chemical treatment that can be applied to exceed horsehide's natural moisture resistant.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby yang on Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:32 am

grousemaster wrote:

x2!

I had one for my G23 and I loved it!

Galco King Tuk is readily available. No waiting. :)
yang

Postby Thunder71 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:13 am

I have a Galco King Tuk as well, nicely made but hangs on the front sight of my M&P when drawing. The one I have is for the M&P Compact, however it's too tight and actually works better for the Shield.

Sent using Tapatalk 2, thanks for supporting it, kind of.
Last edited by Thunder71 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thunder71

Postby MKearn on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:40 am

I looked at getting one and everyone I talked to swore by Galco Summer Comfort. So, I got one of those. Highly recommend them.
MKearn

Postby Chunkychuck on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:18 am

CraigJS wrote:Crossbreed Super Tuck ?? What are the advantages/ disadvantages of the two leather types offered, Cowhide or horsehide.
Cow is 15.00 more, why, is it better some how ? More comfort when worn ? More durable ? I know it's not just the color..
Advice from those that have either one or better yet BOTH. If it matters it's for a XD9sc. Thanks!

Crossbreed has a XD sc holster listed. I went to the GALCO site and they offer an XD and a XDm but didn't list an "sc". That doesn't mean your "sc" might not fit one of their XD holsters but you would want to find one and try it before you order on-line.
Chunkychuck

Postby Chunkychuck on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:31 am

cobb wrote:
Chunkychuck wrote:"Horsehide is a denser and tighter grained flesh than cowhide. This results in it being more moisture resistant. "

Gary Brommeland of Brommland Gunleather says that he prefer cowhide because it is not as dense as horsehide which allows the stitching on a holster to pull into it. He believes that protects the stitching because it is pulled into the leather instead of riding on the surface which makes the stitching more vulnerable to wear and abrasion.

I think the big plus of horsehide is probably it being more moisture resistant. But then in today's world, I don't know why there isn't some kind of chemical treatment that can be applied to exceed horsehide's natural moisture resistant.

SGH Holsters have some type of treatment on them and Erik is out of the Twin Cities. He is about 9 weeks out as of 2 months ago when I received my tuckable for an LCR. I've had my double snap for my SP101 for two years and have sweated plenty in it without a problem. I expect the tuckable will be the same way.
Chunkychuck

Postby Srigs on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:39 pm

cobb wrote:

Yep. It is called an acrylic top coat like I use. My wife washed a couple of my holsters and they survived.
Srigs,

http://www.sideguardholsters.com
http://www.sideguardholsters.com/blog

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.
Srigs

Return to Accessories