Need Suggestions for a Backpack

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Re: Need Suggestions for a Backpack

Postby Pinnacle on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:39 am

goalie wrote:Go to REI. Buy a pack of the appropriate size. I am a fan of the actual REI branded packs. If it sucks for you, they take it back. Best return policy in the business.

+1

There is also a selection of "returns" there that are a BARGAIN sometimes and you can get a lot more pack for your money than you think.

The REI Brand is Solid and has all of the features of the more expensive models like Osprey, Kelty, North Face, Arcteryx, and others... It is amazing that a properly fitted SPORT pack is Significantly better for actual use than one of the Paramilitary packs for hunting or long range hiking.

I have an REI Lookout Model and it is SIGNIFICANTLY more comfortable than anything else in its class - and cheaper too. Remember also REI Packs come in sizes so it is important to wear what you would when using it - or somewhere in the middle of layers when you try it on to be sure that you get a good median fit.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby MissouriDave on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:24 am

REI.

They sell these and anything Camelbak is low profile walk in the park equipment that no one pays any attention to. Plus it comes with hydration.

MissouriDave

Postby shackleford on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:35 am

I have a 5.11 Rush 72 pack that I like a whole lot. Mine is used more for travel and what not, never going to see a battle field or a mountain, but it's well made. Streichers has the whole 5.11 line, they normally have a good selection in different colors.
shackleford

Postby EJSG19 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:08 am

Another REI fan here. My brother gave me a gift card to REI a few years ago. Needed a backpack for vacation and traveling also.

Went and found a Northface backpack that suited me. It was I believe $100-140 or so before the gift card. The thing is 4 years old now, looks like it did when it was brand new. I'm fairly easy on it, but every single time we take a weekend visit to family, or a flight somewhere, this is my carry on bag or 2-3 day worth of clothes/necessities bag. Just took it Prairie Dog hunting, worked great with a 100L camelback reservoir that has a camelback nylon jacket around the reservoir. Fits perfectly.

Its got a spot for a laptop or camelbak reservoir in the large compartment, and has a hole by the top handle, with some overlapping flaps which makes a great place to run your camelbak hose or headphone cords through if you like. Lots of storage, waist straps and shoulder strap straps to make heavy loads easier to manage, etc. Works awesome, padded in the right places to protect your back.

Also agree on REI brand stuff. Most experience there is with their Tents, but wouldn't hesitate on REI brand. Not the cheapest place in town, but they carry nice stuff.
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Postby Lunchbox on Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:43 am

JoeH wrote:I want to get a new backpack and really know very little about the subject.

The intended use is for 1-3 day travel. I will not be hiking with it. I will be using it for trips to the cabin, weekends away, and short business trips (air travel). I may also use it as a day pack when hunting.

I have a couple of nice duffle bags from North Face and Duluth Pack. I have a nice laptop backpack too that's big enough for a 17" laptop. But the padded computer compartment really dominates that bag.

I have a Maxpedition Sitka bag but it is way too small for this. I do like the quality, compartments, and "tactical" look.

So, what do I need? Does a 3-day pack sound about right for size? I'd like to stay under $200... about $100 would be ideal.

PS- I've wanted to get a Blackhawk pack for a while. Does anyone have experience with them?

Thanks,

Joe

If you can't keep it under $200 you're not trying too hard. I picked up an east pak when I was in school my first go round (1999) before I dropped out. It carried the 50lbs of engineering books I kept in it and I've used it for lots of trips. It takes up a lot less room then my duffel bag. Now that I'm back in school it's getting used less for travel and more for it's intended purpose. I figure 13 years of hard use, so far, speaks pretty good to the quality. I doesn't look to bad either for as old as it is. Don't remember exactly how much I paid for it, but I know for a fact it was less then $100, around $50 if I had to venture a guess.
"Time is the best teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all of its students" - Robin Williams
"You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington." - Ash Williams
Lunchbox

Postby 45Badger on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:05 am

I've got a spare one of these in OD. Made back when they were made here.

http://www.specopsbrand.com/t-h-e-pack- ... -pack.html
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Postby scout on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:13 pm

I've got a pretty much brand new Black Camelbak H.A.W.G. MG (1220.5ci)that I'm looking to unload, it'll be up on the market place here soon. Let me know if you're interested...

Link to for sale thread

http://www.camelbak.com/Military-Tactic ... -Hawg.aspx
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither..."
-Benjamin Franklin

The 3 Rules: 1. Always look cool 2. Never get lost 3. If you get lost, look cool.
scout

Postby JoeH on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:41 pm

Thanks but that's about half the size I need.

Joe
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby 45Badger on Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:55 am

JoeH wrote:Thanks but that's about half the size I need.

Joe

Both are 3 day packs. Sounds like you need to get your butt to REI :D
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Postby JoeH on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:06 am

45Badger wrote:
JoeH wrote:Thanks but that's about half the size I need.

Joe

Both are 3 day packs. Sounds like you need to get your butt to REI :D

I do, for sure. I'm comparing these sizes to a couple of smaller packs that I already use. I think that this one needs to be 40-45L. Remember, my clothes and outerwear are really BIG. A 3-day for one guy is a 1.5 day for me.
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Previous

Return to Accessories