Carry holsters

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Carry holsters

Postby maddhunter on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:13 am

All,

I have three pistols that I may want to use as ccw under different circumstances. My question for you guys is where are some retail stores that carry a good selection of holsters that I can begin the search for a good fitting rig.

Appreciate all the info in advance.
maddhunter

Carry holsters

Postby matthew.allen on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:18 am

I have always had better luck finding what I was looking for by ordering online. Most retailers simply don't have the shelf space to stock a large selection for a lot of guns. Every holster I've bought from a store seems like it was a compromise, and never quite what I went in looking for.
matthew.allen

Re: Carry holsters

Postby Stradawhovious on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

maddhunter wrote:All,

I have three pistols that I may want to use as ccw under different circumstances. My question for you guys is where are some retail stores that carry a good selection of holsters that I can begin the search for a good fitting rig.

Appreciate all the info in advance.

Good selection?

Not many in the area. Bills south/north, Streichers in Plymouth, That's about it fro retail stores that I know of that have a selection outside the plastic fantastic and nylon uncle mikes.

The issue you will run in to is that it takes more than 10 minutes to decide whether or not a holster is any good for you. Most of us have a closet full of holsters for just that reason.

That being said, I will recommend Side Guard Holsters. Srigs is a member here, all he does is holsters and he is local. He might even have something made up depending on your rig.

The most important thing is don't skimp. A poorly fitted holster, or one that is made from inferior materials is a PITA, and will quickly be replaced. Buy once cry once.

What is your intended method of carry? IWB or OWB? What kind of gun do you have? The folks here would be happy to make recommendations, and might even have an extra holster or two to sell you on the cheap.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby CJB on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:55 am

I was impressed by Fleet Farm in Blaine. They have a decent variety. More so than your typical Gander anyway.
CJB

Postby rugersol on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:45 am

"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby bstrawse on Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:12 pm

I've ordered several from Brownells or Midway USA and have been happy with major brands.

My favorite holsters are my Sideguard Holsters and my MIlt Sparks...

b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Carry holsters

Postby Spinner on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:39 pm

I've had good luck with mtac and concealment solutions. Get a good gun belt and the holster matters a lot less. A good gun belt is stiff, it does 2 things. 1) distributes the weight of your gun around your waist 2) keeps the gun from flopping (this is more of a problem if you are too big for your britches)

Spinner
Spinner

Postby MasonK on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:10 pm

I actually didn't set foot in a store when acquiring my holsters. I did a ton of due diligence on YouTube and each time I ended up going in a different direction from where I thought I needed to be.

When watching videos, look for people with your shape, style of dress, and your model of firearm. Think about how you will carry, and how fast you might need to deploy the weapon in different locations. I deep conceal in the office, but I usually have my shirt tucked behind it when I'm at lunch or going about my day in public. At the gas station I'll probably need it faster than I would if there was an active shooter in the office because I'll most likely hear shots before I start taking fire myself (but that's just my personal situation.)

Another thing to think about are features- I thought I really needed something I could one-hand holster because that's what the tacticool people on YouTube do. In reality, if I ever used my weapon in self-defense I'd probably be far more concerned with how I'm going to locate clean pants before I re-holster my gun in a slick, one-handed movie-star fashion.

It's like buying a car- how do you intend to use it? If you haul sheet rock, would you buy a SmarteCar? If you only drive to church on Sunday do you really need a Ferrari? Keep it practical otherwise you will not be inclined to carry it.
MasonK

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:33 pm

If ya have a 1911 or glock, just about any fleet farm... at least thats what I have noticed
sgruenhagen44

Postby solidgun on Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:52 am

I have a storage bin full of holsters that I have acquired over the years. If you find someone like me in your area, then you can try various types and give you pros and cons for your style of firearm. If you go by trial and error, you will end up like me and spend enough money on holsters to fund several firearms.
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. —PROVERBS 18:2
solidgun

Carry holsters

Postby xd ED on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:36 am

solidgun wrote:I have a storage bin full of holsters that I have acquired over the years. If you find someone like me in your area, then you can try various types and give you pros and cons for your style of firearm. If you go by trial and error, you will end up like me and spend enough money on holsters to fund several firearms.

Yep; Amazing how expensive cheap holsters can be.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby rugersol on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:50 am

xd ED wrote:
Yep; Amazing how expensive cheap holsters can be.

+∞³
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Carry holsters

Postby ronin069 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:53 am

Madhunter -

May as well accept the fact that you, like the rest of us, will eventually accumulate a drawer where ill-fitting and worn holsters go to die.

With that said, I own two SideGuards and they are not in the afore mentioned drawer...just sayin'
"The gun chooses you, you don't choose the gun"
- my wife
ronin069

Postby yang on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:14 am

MFF in Blaine has a decent selection.

I bought my Galco King Tuk from Cabelas in Rogers.
yang

Postby Ski_Doctor on Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:53 am

I was pouring through some older threads and wanted to ask some questions to those with multiple holsters.

If you had to choose (for cost reasons) between an IWB hybrid like the Supertuck, or a reinforced all leather like the High Noon "Closing Argument", which way would you go and why? I keep vacillating between the two but can't afford both. Since my particular carry requirements stipulate that I need to remove during work hours (non gun friendly employer), maybe I need to go with something easy to remove (eg: high noon).

Looking for thoughts and personal experiences on the topic.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
- Thomas Jefferson
Ski_Doctor

Next

Return to Accessories