shoulder holster for SRH Alaskan

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

shoulder holster for SRH Alaskan

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:30 pm

Anybody know of a good shoulder holster rig for a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan? I have been cruising the internets for a while now. I bought the Uncle Mike Hip Holster off midway but I would like something that would actually conceal the gun. I figure this can be my winter carry gun until I pick up something smaller for summer. I just cant seem to find any specific to my gun so I was also wondering if any alaskan owners have bought other holsters such as a SW 629 snubbie holster? Stoner Holsters seem to be the best bet so far. Yup thats what they're called
sgruenhagen44

Re: shoulder holster for SRH Alaskan

Postby Bulldog1856 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:50 am

Check out simply rugged holsters. Rob specializes in holsters for revolvers and his holsters are top of the line in price and craftsmanship. I own 3 of them and they are my edc holsters.
Bulldog1856

Postby Ramoel on Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:18 am

Bulldog1856 wrote:Check out simply rugged holsters. Rob specializes in holsters for revolvers and his holsters are top of the line in price and craftsmanship. I own 3 of them and they are my edc holsters.

My Alaskan carries easily in a Simply Rugged holster. Not my EDC but it would work if I wanted to carry it every day.
Ron

NRA Life Member
USS Bristol DD857

Everyone dies, some live first...
Ramoel

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:17 pm

Any more detail you can give me? I was just peekin at their website. Looked like a quality rig. I forgot the goofy name they gave a strap. Is that the shoulder holster option or what? Not too familar. To the two guys that posted, what exactly do you have? The stoner holster came with two speed reloader pouches for $160. Seemed like a decent deal.
sgruenhagen44

Postby Bulldog1856 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:16 pm

I have a sourdough pancake for my ruger gp100. It carries extremely comfortably on the belt( nice and tight to the body) very comfortable with the inside out straps to carry IWB. The chesty puller straps are more like a tanker style rig than a shoulder holster. Winter casual with a zip up hoody or button up long sleeve or what ever and a coat would work with the chesty I am certain Rob could do an actual shoulder rig though. A sourdough with chesty straps and a speed strip pouch would probably be about 150 shipped with a2-3 week delivery time. For my money, Rob Leahy makes my favorite piece of leather. The beauty of the chesty and a sourdough is the versatility as you have 3 options to carry in 1 holster.

Bulldog1856

Postby MissouriDave on Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:42 pm

There is a very good option.
Mernickle holsters. I have many and they are all top quality.
http://www.mernickleholsters.com/ps/ps6dar12.html
MissouriDave

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:13 pm

MissouriDave wrote:There is a very good option.
Mernickle holsters. I have many and they are all top quality.
http://www.mernickleholsters.com/ps/ps6dar12.html

Ok I think missouridave won me over. $150 bucks to get custom engravings with any color! That high rise looks nice. Damn now I don't know what to do...
sgruenhagen44

Postby Ramoel on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:07 pm

That Mernickle holster is pretty and great for open carry. If you want to carry concealed, a pancake like the Simply Rugged Sourdough is better. It pulls in tight and will conceal under a light shirt.

I have 4 Simply Rugged pancakes for various revolvers and they all conceal well under a light shirt, even a T shirt and shorts.
Ron

NRA Life Member
USS Bristol DD857

Ramoel

Postby Bulldog1856 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:57 pm

Ramoel wrote:That Mernickle holster is pretty and great for open carry. If you want to carry concealed, a pancake like the Simply Rugged Sourdough is better. It pulls in tight and will conceal under a light shirt.

I have 4 Simply Rugged pancakes for various revolvers and they all conceal well under a light shirt, even a T shirt and shorts.

This is true. Plus if you want a pretty holster from simply rugged the carver Rob uses does great work.
Bulldog1856

Postby Ramoel on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:56 am

Here are two Simply Rugged Pancakes. The one on the left is a plain Sourdough for a Ruger Alaskan. It can be worn strong side or crossdraw. The holster on the right is an example of a carved Simply Rugged. As I recall it's called a Texas Pancake and this one is for an N Frame S&W.
Attachments
H 002.JPG
Ron

NRA Life Member
USS Bristol DD857

Ramoel

Postby MissouriDave on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:34 pm

Man, you guys are doing the hard sell on those Simply Rugged Holsters. Got skin in the game?
MissouriDave

Postby Ramoel on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:27 pm

MissouriDave wrote:Man, you guys are doing the hard sell on those Simply Rugged Holsters. Got skin in the game?

Nope, no skin, just a few years of comfortable carrying with a simple pancake that distributes the weight of a revolver well and also conceals well. They are not the most beautiful holsters in most cases but they work well.
Ron

NRA Life Member
USS Bristol DD857

Ramoel

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:44 pm

Ramoel wrote:
MissouriDave wrote:Man, you guys are doing the hard sell on those Simply Rugged Holsters. Got skin in the game?

Nope, no skin, just a few years of comfortable carrying with a simple pancake that distributes the weight of a revolver well and also conceals well. They are not the most beautiful holsters in most cases but they work well.

So I should assume the pancake just rides higher? BOth holsters look like OWB to me so how is the pancake more concealable? Just curious...
sgruenhagen44

Postby Bulldog1856 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:46 pm

I have no skin in the game either I just love them. I can carry a gp100 3" IWB with a sourdough and the inside out straps totally concealed with a t shirt. I love the way they carry and the fact that simply rugged specializes in revolver holsters, I trust them. Add in the very reasonable cost and quick turn around and it's an easy company to support
Bulldog1856

Postby Fat Buffalo on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:11 am

I have a DIAMOND D CUSTOM LEATHER for my ruger SBHH!! I love it to death! Picture from Diamond D website.
Attachments
holster.jpg
Fat Buffalo

Return to Accessories