Can anyone recommend a good pepper spray?

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Postby Erud on Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:16 am

For my wife and daughter who is away at college. Neither is interested in carrying a pistol or other weapon. Looking for something small for purse or pocket carry, not like the thing "Dog the Bounty Hunter" carries. Any recommendations on what to get and where? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Erik
Erud

Re: Can anyone recommend a good pepper spray?

Postby Erik_Pakieser on Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:22 am

Freeze +P. I've used it more times than I can count and it was very dependable. It's a combination OC & tear gas. Legal in Minnesota, but because it has tear gas it might be restricted in other states (such as Wisconsin).

If you want pure pepper spray Fox40 comes highly recommended. Either brand, I like the stream vs. fog spray pattern. Stream is more accurate but less likely to contaminate the user at close range.

Get two cans and have her practice using it on a target.
Fight-focused defensive handgun, rifle, and shotgun training
http://www.qsitraining.net
http://www.facebook.com/qsifirearms
Erik_Pakieser

Postby Erud on Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:37 am

Erik_Pakieser wrote:Freeze +P. I've used it more times than I can count and it was very dependable. It's a combination OC & tear gas. Legal in Minnesota, but because it has tear gas it might be restricted in other states (such as Wisconsin).

If you want pure pepper spray Fox40 comes highly recommended. Either brand, I like the stream vs. fog spray pattern. Stream is more accurate but less likely to contaminate the user at close range.

Get two cans and have her practice using it on a target.

Erik,
Thanks for the info, I will look into those. Any ideas for local(TC metro) places to buy?

Thanks,
Erik
Erud

Postby Hmac on Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:45 am

Erud wrote:For my wife and daughter who is away at college. Neither is interested in carrying a pistol or other weapon. Looking for something small for purse or pocket carry, not like the thing "Dog the Bounty Hunter" carries. Any recommendations on what to get and where? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Erik

Fox Labs pepper spray.

http://www.foxlabs.com/pepperspray.shtml
Hmac

Postby matthew.allen on Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:46 am

+1 for Freeze +P

I have used it several times and it worked well on all but one person.

Streicher's (Plymouth) or Uniforms Unlimited (Minneapolis & St Paul) will surely have it in store in multiple sizes, otherwise any other police supply shop will likely have it.
matthew.allen

Postby Erud on Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:47 am

Thanks guys. I just stopped in at Streicher's and picked up a few cans of the Freeze +P. sounds like its goud stuff and it's about the perfect size. Much appreciated.

Regards,
Erik
Erud

Postby Thunder71 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:52 am

Did you get the 2oz or 4oz?
Thunder71

Postby ijosef on Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:52 am

I also use Freeze +P at work and it's very effective. You'll always get an individual that is somewhat resistant to it (a lot of guys who've snorted a ton of drugs in their lifetime are very resistant to its effects on the mucus membranes), but that's the case with most chemical irritants. If you haven't done so, make sure you get some exposure yourself so you know what it's like. When using chemical irritant, you're bound to get some secondary effects. Of course nothing beats macing someone and having your coworker on the other side of the guy, missing the intended target and hitting you. :tantrum:

Fox Labs stuff has a good reputation as well. I've never used it, but some of my coworkers moonlight as rent-a-cops at area hospitals and that's what they use. They say it burns a lot worse than the Freeze +P (although it lacks some of the other effects since it's just OC and doesn't contain any CS).
ijosef

Postby Erud on Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:18 pm

Thunder71 wrote:Did you get the 2oz or 4oz?

The smallest one - must be 2oz.
Erud

Postby Pinnacle on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:59 pm

Wait until my brand is released sometime soon...

It's going to be a game changer.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby LePetomane on Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:38 pm

Kimber Pepper Blaster. I would recommend buying two and discharge one outside to see what the range is. It will give you 4 discharges.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby spliznat on Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:54 pm

Freeze +P is ok..... I use it at work and I am a chemical muntions/irritant instructor. I would recommend something with a little higher % of OC. I know that when guys do not react to the Freeze +P we go to Fox or Deep Punch. Those always get the desired effect. The thing to look for is the percentage of OC per million. Freeze +P is 1% of a million, Fox is 5% of a million. You will also want a ballistic stream vs a fog or foam. I do know that The Sportsmans Guide carries Fox labs irritant. I do not like the Sabre brand that Gouger Mountain carries. Streichers carries the Aerko brand of irritant which is what I prefer. I am kind of all over the place with this as I am doing 20 things at once....... sorry. If ya have any questions i can answer them. If your a Wisconsin resident dont even think about it.
"Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?" Grandpa said, "No... but I served in a company of heroes".
Major Richard Winters
spliznat

Postby solidgun on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:56 am

Ruger pepper spray. It is only branded Ruger, but I got pink ones for Christmas and this model has alarm and flashing lights. I have read enough good reviews and I got the Kimber Blaster 4 years ago, but the flashing lights and the alarm seem to be a good add on as you want to attract attention.

I wanted to get my wife the Taser X26, but she will not budge.
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. —PROVERBS 18:2
solidgun

Postby TTS on Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:29 am

Erud wrote:For my wife and daughter who is away at college. Neither is interested in carrying a pistol or other weapon. Looking for something small for purse or pocket carry, not like the thing "Dog the Bounty Hunter" carries. Any recommendations on what to get and where? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Erik

If they want something stylish:
http://pepperface.com/
Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

Postby stottingmuley on Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:27 pm

I think siracha would be pretty good for close quarters/enclosed spaces.... easy squeeze bottle and single stream pattern equals low risk of collateral damage. Not to mention it's delicious. :lol:
My old man told me, before he left this ******* world, never chase buses or women, you'll always be left behind.
stottingmuley

Next

Return to Accessories