Nikon AR Scopes

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Nikon AR Scopes

Postby TiltMaster84 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:23 am

Anyone have any suggestions on which AR scope to go with. I currently own a Ruger SR556 that I am looking to put a new scope on, and have been thinking Nikon AR Scope. I previously had Eotech sights on it, but I have now moved that over to my new FN FS2000, and have decided I want to start shooting my ruger at 100+.

Have any suggestions on which Nikon to buy? Any better alternatives out there? Any places in the twin cities or online to get a good deal on them?

Thanks!
TiltMaster84

Re: Nikon AR Scopes

Postby promod1385 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:09 am

I would look at the Burris Tac30. I had the Nikon AR 223 1-4 and the quality of the glass is seriously lacking.
promod1385

Postby solidgun on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:15 am

At the low end level, I would move to another brand as suggested above. While FS2000 is capable of the distance with magnified optics, I really consider the platform to be well suited for 1x red dot. I have Comp M4 on mine and have tried 1-4 optics, but it got too top heavy.
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. —PROVERBS 18:2
solidgun

Postby stesch_s10 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:48 pm

On my 5.56 AR I've got the Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40 with a Burris P.E.P.R. mount. I've always like Leupolds.
stesch_s10

Postby CarryCauseICan on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:37 pm

I put Nikon P-223 on mine. 3x9x40. Came with free rings at the time. I like it. Has mildots for out to 600 yards.
Last edited by CarryCauseICan on Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Molon Labe!
HEY! Once this girl said, "It's not You, It's Me". I said, "Dang Right It's You! You Heffer!" Si
CarryCauseICan

Postby grousemaster on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:54 pm

solidgun wrote:At the low end level, I would move to another brand as suggested above. While FS2000 is capable of the distance with magnified optics, I really consider the platform to be well suited for 1x red dot. I have Comp M4 on mine and have tried 1-4 optics, but it got too top heavy.

Is Nikon now considered "low end" ....to who? :?
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby solidgun on Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:19 pm

grousemaster wrote:Is Nikon now considered "low end" ....to who? :?

Every brand has low end models. If the Nikon says Made in Japan, those will be their high end models. I believe low end models are Made in Philippines for Nikon.
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. —PROVERBS 18:2
solidgun

Postby TiltMaster84 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:40 pm

solidgun wrote:At the low end level, I would move to another brand as suggested above. While FS2000 is capable of the distance with magnified optics, I really consider the platform to be well suited for 1x red dot. I have Comp M4 on mine and have tried 1-4 optics, but it got too top heavy.

I agree, that is why I am going to stick with the Eotech on the FS2000. Now just want an actual scope for the Ruger SR556. Not looking for a low end one, but also don't want to spend over $300-$400
TiltMaster84

Postby promod1385 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:53 pm

What do you plan on using the rifle for and how much do you have to spend? Are you willing to buy used or demo models? I always like to start by putting pen to paper and doing a want/need analysis and then finding an optic at meets most of your wants/needs at a price you can afford.

Lots of the Iron sights 3gun shooters are switching to the new Leupold Prismatic. It has a fine enough dot to engage targets at longer distances and the dot is still very quick up close.

I would rather have a good set of irons with a NM front sight post as opposed to the Nikon AR scopes, they are the low end of Nikon stuff and the glass sucks. I would rather have a used or demo model higher end scope than a bottom of the line Nikon. Check out SWFA's sample room, good deals to be had there also Amazon generally has a steady supply of used/sample stuff. Example: I saw a $2400 Swarov going for $1600 on Amazon last week.
promod1385

Postby yuppiejr on Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:10 pm

solidgun wrote:
grousemaster wrote:Is Nikon now considered "low end" ....to who? :?

Every brand has low end models. If the Nikon says Made in Japan, those will be their high end models. I believe low end models are Made in Philippines for Nikon.

All of the Nikon glass is made in the Philippines including their top end Monarch stuff, Prostaff is their value line, Buckmaster their midline and Monarch their top of the line. Bushnell produces their lower end stuff in China with the higher end (Elite, etc..) in Japan in the old Bauch and Lomb facilities. Leupold is made in the USA as far as I know though the original of some internal components may be of international origin on the lower end stuff (possible internet FUD).

The Nikon Monarch, Bushnell Elite and Leu VX3 lines are in the same quality category though I'm sure the Leu folks will be along to tell me I'm full of horse droppings (I can't tell the difference between the three having shot through each on 3 different rifles one sunny afternoon the summer before last). All good glass for the money with the nod for value going to Nikon/Bushnell and bragging rights/long term resale value to Leupold. :)

I'm a Nikon Monarch fan for the price; great clarity, generous eye relief, extended focal range on the ocular lens, lifetime warranty (never had one fail) and a good selection of reticules and magnifications/sizes. It is my understanding that the AR specific scopes are basically special configurations of their Prostaff (P-prefix, like the P233) and the Monarch (M233) lineup which is reflected in the price and optical quality. I don't happen to care for the Prostaff line and think there are better options at the price including the $200 Nikon Monarch UCC 3-9x40 that Dick's sells for $200 frequently, the P223 is, in my opinion, the worst optic Nikon puts their name on.

My perspective on AR scopes... I like the lower power stuff, good iron sights, a 1-4x scope or a red-dot - possibly with a flip away magnifier. Unless I'm configuring the gun for prairie dogging or punching paper I don't care for the added weight or bulk a magnified optic adds to the rifle. Weaver makes a nice 1-3 (CV3) or 1-4x20 (V3) optic that can be had for south of $200 new, less than $100 used if you find a good used example though they will often be in a gloss vs matte finish, all made in Japan.
yuppiejr

Postby solidgun on Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:52 pm

yuppiejr wrote:All of the Nikon glass is made in the Philippines including their top end Monarch stuff, Prostaff is their value line, Buckmaster their midline and Monarch their top of the line. Bushnell produces their lower end stuff in China with the higher end (Elite, etc..) in Japan in the old Bauch and Lomb facilities. Leupold is made in the USA as far as I know though the original of some internal components may be of international origin on the lower end stuff (possible internet FUD).

Last few Monarch X models I handled were made in Japan. Is this a recent change that happened in the last few months? I haven't shopped for Nikons in a while so any information is useful.

I have been looking more at Zeiss lately with the rebate offer that is good until the end of the year.
solidgun

Postby FJ540 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:23 pm

I've got a japan made prostaff 3-9x40; it's a few years old, and not part of the new line-up. I love that thing, but the new ones do indeed suck. They revamped their whole line over the past 18 months or so, and I think they hurt their brand in doing it.

When I was bino shopping, I looked at the whole nikon line and ended up going for low end steiners (china made burris) because they looked better to me (brighter, better color, better depth of focus). I fear the bean counters got control of nikon and that never ends well.
FJ540

Postby yuppiejr on Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:53 pm

solidgun wrote:
yuppiejr wrote:All of the Nikon glass is made in the Philippines including their top end Monarch stuff, Prostaff is their value line, Buckmaster their midline and Monarch their top of the line. Bushnell produces their lower end stuff in China with the higher end (Elite, etc..) in Japan in the old Bauch and Lomb facilities. Leupold is made in the USA as far as I know though the original of some internal components may be of international origin on the lower end stuff (possible internet FUD).

Last few Monarch X models I handled were made in Japan. Is this a recent change that happened in the last few months? I haven't shopped for Nikons in a while so any information is useful.

I have been looking more at Zeiss lately with the rebate offer that is good until the end of the year.

Actually you are probably right and Google seems to agree, I've only handled the Monarch "non-x" versions which is what I based my statement on, now that I dig around it looks like the Monarch-X is a different line/configuration entirely but rather than come up with a new series name they just appended X to Monarch...
yuppiejr

Postby MissouriDave on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:06 pm

I have a few different configurations on different AR's. I have tried many others. If you don't mind the AR being 10 - 12 ounces heavier than an Eotech or Aimpoint then the TAC30 or DMS are great especially if you plan on making a mid-range capable AR and using it for 3-gun. I like the reticle in the DMS better and have had both on AR's and both are great. There are lighter scopes out there, and you may not want illumination or ruggedness that brings the weight up. The DMS and TAC30 illumination is not visible in bright light, but you also do not need it.

I have this scope below on a Ruger 77/22 and it is great. It also is about 6 oz lighter than the DMS/TAC30 types. The German #4 reticle is fast. Nikon Monarch African Series. I have had great experiences with the monarch series scopes.
MissouriDave

Postby gunforhire on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:17 pm

I have a M223 2-8X32 on mine. BDC reticle to 600 on it. I really enjoy this scope. I was able to keep up with everyone else just fine prairie dog hunting with it last summer
http://www.amazon.com/NIKON-M-223-8486-2-8x32-Riflescope/dp/B003G5QPAU
"You're not tactical enough to view that video. Practice some rolls for a while, maybe dual wield an airsoft pistol and an Xacto knife, then try again."

~some arfcom user that deserves a beer or 8 from my fridge
gunforhire

Next

Return to Accessories