Holster suggestions?

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Holster suggestions?

Postby wildfan1 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:19 am

Currently I use a DeSantis Gunhide to IWB carry a S&W M&P .40c. Love the gun, and the holster is very comfortable for carrying. One problem though, is being a bit of a bigger guy (well, getting to be average guy in the US lol), I have a bit of a muffin top, and I wear my pants either snug, or my belt tighter when carrying due to the weight of the gun, so as not to have it slowly dragging my pants to sub-skivvie, thug height lol. Another problem: when I draw at the range, or even to show someone interested in seeing what I carry (potential customers usually wanting to see the size and hold it for feel, sold several M&Ps this way), getting the gun reholstered without unbuckling by belt or unbuttoning my pants is a serious pain in the rear. The ballistic nylon, while comfortable inside the pants, of course folds when I draw, and getting the gun back in is quite a production.

That said, I am considering maybe a kydex or formed leather or something else for IWB carry. Wanted to get some feedback from others. Thought maybe the formed kydex might be a little stiffer, and easier for reholstering.

Suggestions or feedback is appreciated.

Matt
wildfan1

Re: Holster suggestions?

Postby bstrawse on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:27 am

I use leather - I highly recommend Sideguard Holsters from Maplewood, MN
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby solidgun on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:30 am

Look for CompTac holsters. They combine leather and kydex. From what you describe, that sounds like the right choice.
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. —PROVERBS 18:2
solidgun

Postby LarryFlew on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:46 am

I use an all leather HBE IWB but since it is so similar to what Sideguard has locally I'd go with his also.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby tizzo on Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:10 am

I recommend Crossbreed or a similar leather/kydex hybrid for IWB.
Kyle
---------
Tam Recording
tizzo

Postby MNBlackjack on Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:17 pm

bstrawse wrote:I use leather - I highly recommend Sideguard Holsters from Maplewood, MN

+1
I've had three from Sideguard and just ordered two more. They are the best I've ever worn, and I've worn many others'.
FFL
NRA - Lifetime Member
NSSF
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
- Ayn Rand
MNBlackjack

Postby gman1868 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:00 pm

Do what I do to save back pain and keep my pants up. I use Spec-Ops Combat Suspenders, they work great!

http://www.rangerjoes.com/Spec-Ops-Suspenders-Combat-P2323.aspx

Living the Armed Lifestyle
gman1868

Postby Scratch on Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:48 pm

I'll suggest a couple hybrid holsters I like:

https://clevelandsholsters.com/
And my new favorite holster is:
http://www.hhholsters.com/
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby AX7400 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:24 pm

tizzo wrote:I recommend Crossbreed or a similar leather/kydex hybrid for IWB.

+1 on the crossbreed I have the supertuck and its so comfortable I almost forget I have it on sometimes. I did alot of shopping around before I ordered it since they aren't cheap but so far it has been worth every penny. I am about 6ft 1in and 165 pounds so I wanted to make sure I got something as comfortable as possible.
NRA Life Member
AX7400

Postby Paul on Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:29 pm

I use a Comp-Tac every day. I've tried many holsters from both national and local manufacturers, and I've found Comp-Tac to be leaps and bounds better than the competition for both comfort and performance.

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95
Paul

Postby promod1385 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:32 pm

I have a CompTac (the cheap one, its called the Minotaur). Its as good as any of the other IWB's listed here.
promod1385

Postby TooFewGuns on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:39 pm

I am a bigger guy and I am carrying a Raven Concealment Phantom Modular Holster. It is comfortable, as long as you wear an undershirt. It is tuckable if you are wearing a dress shirt. You can also get the hardware to carry it on your belt.
Last edited by TooFewGuns on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. Milton Friedman
The only security men can have for their political liberty, consists in keeping their money in their own pockets. Lysander Spooner
TooFewGuns

Postby whiteox on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:56 pm

+1 for the Comptac Minotaur. They ship pretty quick too. I got mine in under a week. I've got three of them.
whiteox

Postby SSBotanyBay on Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:04 am

I use an Old Faithful holster mainly because they can be purchased for about half the price of the others and you just assemble it at home (that and they had a Shield mold very quickly after its release). While I don't have a drawer full of holsters from which to convey the pluses and minuses of each...I like this one.
"There is nothing more uncommon than common sense."---Thomas Chalmers
SSBotanyBay

Postby cgrant26 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:47 am

I use a Comp-Tac MTAC. Both the Comp-Tac and the Crossbreed holsters are very good and offer a a lot of comfort. You won't be disappointed with either.

That said, for me the MTAC edges out the Crossbreed Supertuck due to adjustability and ease in replacing parts. For example, with the MTAC, you can adjust draw angle, depth and retention strength. You can also change out the clips easily for different size belts or different clip styles. Comp-Tac also sellls just the kydex shells so you can swap the shell out for different guns without buying a whole new holster. The Spartan is their cheaper version of the MTAC but I would suggest going with the MTAC as the Spartan leaves the anchor nuts exposed. (MTAC covers them with another layer of leather)

MTAC:

Spartan:

cgrant26

Next

Return to Accessories