Problems bore sighting new Nikon scope

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Problems bore sighting new Nikon scope

Postby fabb600 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:37 pm

I just mounted a new Nikon M-223 4-16x42 BDC600 scope with Burris PEPR mount on my new Ruger SR-556E rifle. I haven't tightened the rings down with a FAT wrench yet - just barely snug right now so no over-torque issues on the tube or anything like that here. When A friend and I performed an initial indoor zero with a bore sight indoors today, we had to adjust the windage ALL the way to the left just to get the sight dead on. There is no adjustment left in that direction at this point. And this is just bore sighted so I may have to go even further left once I get to the range in which case I'm hosed.

I'm not experienced with rifle optics so perhaps some here will have some suggestions.

I assume the issue is either:

1. Bad scope
2. Bad PEPR mount
3. Bad rifle (the rail not assembled straight?)
4. User error - am I missing something obvious here?

I feel dumb asking this, but I assume I should never have to shim a scope mount where it attaches to the rail should I? Other than that I can't imagine how to correct the issue other that returning either the scope, mount or gun for exchange/repair.
fabb600

Re: Problems bore sighting new Nikon scope

Postby onebohemian on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:32 pm

Get a set of these Burris Zee Signature scope mounts with their inserts. You can essentially bore sight it with these inserts and rings so that its almost zeroed with the scope turrets not having to be adjusted at all. If you order the kit of inserts, you can mix and match them. Best rings for any scope mounting, but especially when you face an offset factory rail, etc. After rings and inserts are all on and snug, then tighten down to torque specs and then fine tune with your scope turrets.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-zee-signature-1-rifle-scope-mount-rings-for-weaver-style-bases.html
Mark

"Edited to remove prohibited content."(2009).

"It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it." (In honor of 'Goalie,' 2013).
onebohemian

Postby Scratch on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:20 pm

So instead of shiming the scope mount to the rifle, you shim the scope tube in the mount.... which as I understand it, gives you better clarity in the scope since the lenses are aligned optimally...? Makes sense.

Are there other cantilevered scope mounts that accept these inserts also that you know of?
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby fabb600 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:15 pm

Is this a normal thing to need to do with a new gun? I prefer the forward reach of the PEPR mount on the AR - if there are offset inserts I could buy to fit those rings? Otherwise I'll take the advice and get the Zee rings and offsets.

Thanks.
fabb600

Postby bman940 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:12 pm

Afb, You are right, you should not have to shim a scope to sight it in. I have seen the same problem a few times last year. All involved the AR Mount not being lined up correctly. There is some play on some picatinny rails and if you do not tighten the mounts down evenly your type of problem will occur. The solution is to remount your scope, trying to tighten each screw a little bit at a time to make sure everything is the same. I would also suggest taking your scope back to mechanical zero, which mean's if you are all the way left or right, up or down, then dial it back 80 clicks to the middle. This isn't always the middle but it's a good start. Give this fix a try and keep me posted. If you still think it's the scope after you try this, I will be happy to help you out with Nikon.
bman940

Postby fabb600 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:42 pm

bman940 wrote:Afb, You are right, you should not have to shim a scope to sight it in. I have seen the same problem a few times last year. All involved the AR Mount not being lined up correctly. There is some play on some picatinny rails and if you do not tighten the mounts down evenly your type of problem will occur. The solution is to remount your scope, trying to tighten each screw a little bit at a time to make sure everything is the same. I would also suggest taking your scope back to mechanical zero, which mean's if you are all the way left or right, up or down, then dial it back 80 clicks to the middle. This isn't always the middle but it's a good start. Give this fix a try and keep me posted. If you still think it's the scope after you try this, I will be happy to help you out with Nikon.

Thanks for the info - I'll give that re-mount a try. I do know that it's not the Nikon scope or the mount (minus the human error while mounting possibility you mentioned). The other day, Scratch and I mounted my scope/mount combo on two of his rifles without any special attention and they both zero'd in with minimal adjustment so for some reason the Ruger is not playing nice.

I'll report back after I take more care in mounting on the Ruger again to see if I can get it aligned properly.

I was thinking about taking the gun to a good local gunsmith and paying a fee just to have him evaluate the issue and give me a educated opinion before I go through the trouble of sending the gun back to Ruger for who knows how long. I did talk to Ruger yesterday and they are happy to send me a RMA and shipping coverage, etc.. so that's nice to know if it comes to that.

* is the gunsmith at Gander Woodbury okay for this? Otherwise can anyone point me to a experienced gunsmith?
fabb600

Postby fabb600 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:49 am

Thanks bman940 - problem resolved. I re-mounted the optics one more time - this time with small turns front and back until the mount was secure. We took the gun to a range to see where it was on paper. Before firing the gun we checked the bore site one more time and now it was close to center without adjustment. A few clicks while shooting paper and the gun was right on. Nice to actually get out and shoot the thing. I also shot my Huldra for the first time and that was great too.

Lesson learned.
fabb600

Return to Accessories