Crimson Trace Grips Caput?

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:48 pm

Wondering if anyone has had any issues with their CT grips. The set I have for my J-Frame stopped working - I've had them for a couple of years and bought them from someone on the board here. I changed the battery, but no go.

I'll have to dig for the paperwork to see what the warranty looks like, but trying to figure out what could be the issue. Other than range time, I don't think they get abused. I either carry in a paddle or pocket holster. I practice with both the sites and the laser.

Anyway, just checking to see what others experience has been with the products. Thanks.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Erud on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:22 pm

I had a set on a J-frame a few years back that stopped working occasionally even with good batteries. I sent them to CT to fix and they advised me to use a Q-tip with alcohol to clean the contacts next time it happened. I was not super impressed that this needed to be done on a somewhat-regular basis to keep them working, but it did indeed clear up the problem when it happened again. Might be worth a try for yours before sending them in.

Good luck,
Erik
Erud

Re: Crimson Trace Grips Caput?

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:11 pm

thank you - i'll try that.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby yukonjasper on Mon May 20, 2013 11:01 am

update. The clean up with q-tip didn't work and tried several batteries. Best I can get is a real dim glow from the emmitter. I even used the lens cleaner deal that came with the set. They were bought from a forum member and were originally purchased many years ago, so no warranty - are they junk?
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby gunsmith on Tue May 21, 2013 2:54 am

mine got dim during shooting at a recent range session and recovered after. Working fine now.

I know I heard a guy on Glock Talk mention how his had failed (out of warranty) and he called CT and they said send them in. Thinking there might be a paid repair to be made. They sent him a new one free as if it had been in warranty.

Viridian gave me a new light laser out of warranty ($300) They are in a Mpls suburb.

Worth a try. Call them.
gunsmith

Postby LarryFlew on Tue May 21, 2013 8:09 am

Had the same experience as Gunsmith. Purchased a used gun that had CT grips that where intermittent and would decide on their own if and when they wanted to work. Sent them in with a note to call or email me with price B4 repairing them. Get a new pair in the mail a few days later.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby yukonjasper on Tue May 21, 2013 9:27 am

Call and in the mail they go - nothing to lose I guess. Thanks for the advice.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

UPDATE: Crimson Trace Grips Caput?

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:14 am

Update: The Crimson Trace customer service is great. Not only did I get a new set of grips, I got batteries, 2 each sight adjustment tools and lense swabs. I was expecting a call to say they could be repaired for $XX. Very happy with the end result.

Thanks for the encouragement to send them in.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby gunsmith on Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:22 am

Glad to hear it, More money for ammo.
gunsmith

Postby BigDog58 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:20 pm

I was debating about getting CT grips for my wifes J-Frame. Not debating any longer . With CS like that, I just ordered a set for her upcoming birthday...shhhh
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby gunsmith on Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:42 pm

BigDog58 wrote:I was debating about getting CT grips for my wifes J-Frame. Not debating any longer . With CS like that, I just ordered a set for her upcoming birthday...shhhh

They have some kind of 'batteries for life' program ....don't know exactly what it does...
gunsmith

Postby FJ540 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:50 pm

My only gripe about the CTC grips on the j-frame is that they don't fit my hand as well as the stock ones did.
FJ540

Postby arizona98tj on Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:54 pm

FJ540 wrote:My only gripe about the CTC grips on the j-frame is that they don't fit my hand as well as the stock ones did.

That is basically the same issue I had with my Ruger LCR. The factory grips fit better and are more comfortable than the CTC grips. I guess that is the compromise we get to live with.
arizona98tj

Postby mrp on Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:27 pm

FJ540 wrote:My only gripe about the CTC grips on the j-frame is that they don't fit my hand as well as the stock ones did.

Do you remember the model number? It seems like they've expanded their product line since last I looked.

LG-105 Round Butt, polymer grip.
LG-205 Discontinued.
LG-305 Round Butt, extended grip
LG-305G Green Laser
LG-405 Round Butt, compact grip
LG-405 P20 Pro-Custom
LG-913 Round Butt, Black G10 material
DS-124 Defender Series Accu-Grips
mrp

Postby FJ540 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:30 pm

Just checked - 405 round butt.

The S&W grips on that gun fit my hand perfectly. I shot it really well - until I put that dumb laser on it. :lol:

Pete insisted on lasers for the psychological effect and got the Mrs conned into them. :evil: The snubby was intended to be shared as a BUG or carry gun (I use it as a winter BUG all the time) and so it got the laser for her. Of course, she still hasn't gotten her permit 3.5 years later...
FJ540

Next

Return to Accessories