Headlamp Recommendation

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Headlamp Recommendation

Postby DeanC on Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:53 pm

I have a Marine Buddy deployed in Afghanistan. I asked him if he needed anything and one of the top items was a headlamp. Now here's where it gets tricky, he would like one that runs on AA or CR123 batteries as AAA batteries are not easy to find out at the FOB. He would also like one that can alternate from white to red light.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Re: Headlamp Recommendation

Postby hammAR on Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:29 pm

Here are two, I know of a couple of others but will have to find them..........

Sunree Challenge
Price (US$): $27.00
Product Description:
* White Red and Blue LED lamp
* Requires 4 AA batteries

Photon Freedom Fusion
Price (US$): $57.95 - Closeout Sale Price: $31.9
# Smart Circuit: Instant on/off - full range, up & down brightness control
# Long Life Replaceable 3-AA Energizer Batteries included
#Available in 3 beam colors: (Primary / Secondary)
* White Fusion: 6 White / 2 Red
* Blue Fusion: 6 Blue / 2 Red
* Red Fusion: 6 Red / 2 Yellow

All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby ttousi on Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:18 pm

How about we get westberg to order some up and do a group buy so your buddy can supply his squad/platoon/bunch with them?
Cost of a light is cheap to help protect the guys.
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby westberg on Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:31 pm

ttousi wrote:How about we get westberg to order some up and do a group buy so your buddy can supply his squad/platoon/bunch with them?
Cost of a light is cheap to help protect the guys.

I would be honored to be able to help them out. I will check into if I have any options for headlamps, it may take a day or two.
westberg

Postby ttousi on Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:37 pm

just to be clear my intent is to shamelessly solicit donations so that we can send them free of charge to the guys........extra batts also :D
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby westberg on Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:00 pm

hammAR wrote:Here are two, I know of a couple of others but will have to find them..........

Sunree Challenge
Price (US$): $27.00
Product Description:
* White Red and Blue LED lamp
* Requires 4 AA batteries

Photon Freedom Fusion
Price (US$): $57.95 - Closeout Sale Price: $31.9
# Smart Circuit: Instant on/off - full range, up & down brightness control
# Long Life Replaceable 3-AA Energizer Batteries included
#Available in 3 beam colors: (Primary / Secondary)
* White Fusion: 6 White / 2 Red
* Blue Fusion: 6 Blue / 2 Red
* Red Fusion: 6 Red / 2 Yellow

hammAR, have you used either of these products, after a little search I found this site http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.906
I own the Petzl brand but the price is a lot more. I'm sure durability is important. If I can't find something through our suppliers and we find a model that will work I will try an become a dealer.
westberg

Postby DeanC on Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:36 pm

ttousi wrote:How about we get westberg to order some up and do a group buy so your buddy can supply his squad/platoon/bunch with them?

I'm sure they would love them. I don't think they need them for tactical use. It's for more mundane things like going to the head at night.

I'm posting some of his updates in Off Topic.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby hammAR on Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:41 pm

westberg wrote:hammAR, have you used either of these products, after a little search I found this site http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.906
I own the Petzl brand but the price is a lot more. I'm sure durability is important. If I can't find something through our suppliers and we find a model that will work I will try an become a dealer.

If I told you I would..................... :didntdoit:

I have not used either professionally (we could see in the dark), however, I have used the Photon when Yote hunting and diving, but also like the Sunree. Between the two and considering the conditions it will be used in (A'stan) I would think that it would be adequate. I will check further and get you a definitive answer as we don't want to send anything that could get someone hurt................ I don't remember, but I think all of the Petzl use AAA.....
hammAR

Postby Pat on Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:12 am

Times are tough, but I would be willing to kick in a couple of bucks. Keep us informed.
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby lenny7 on Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:20 am

Some DealExtreme.com stuff is good, some is crap. I'd recommend ordering a sample for evaluation before buying in quantity.

Another option is http://www.ledshoppe.com/ledheadlight.htm. I didn't see if one of those has both white and red light or not. I have a couple headlamps from those folks that are great for the price, but I've had a couple other lights from them that have been so so.

LED Shoppe for sure, and I think Deal Extreme, ship from Hong Kong so it takes some time, though my last LED Shoppe order surprised me when it took just 2 weeks.
lenny7

Postby DeanC on Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:40 am

Here is what he wrote:

Joe wrote:Also, Dean sent me an email asking if there was anything he could get for me. Between you and him a headlamp would be great. The sun sets around 6:30 around here and I am currently living outside with no other light other than hand held flashlights. That gets cumbersome when you are trying to do things with both hands, one thing I hadn't thought of. A few guys around here have models that have both red and white LEDs. Something like that would be great, also if it ran on AAs or the 3-volt lithiums (123s). Those are the most commonly used batteries here, AAAs are not very common at all. And, if it is not to much of an expense, a camp chair would be nice, not the three legged kind, they get uncomfortable after awhile. Since we have an established FOB there isn't a need to be minimalist with things, so a four-legged chair with a back to it would be better. I don't want to sound like I'm just asking for things but those two items would be really handy. Anyway, more emails to come!

We already found him a chair. A really nice one that folds up really compact so it is easy to send. Cost us a pile of dough, but it will be perfect for him.
DeanC

Postby hammAR on Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:25 pm

DeanC wrote:Here is what he wrote:

Joe wrote:A few guys around here have models that have both red and white LEDs. Something like that would be great, also if it ran on AAs or the 3-volt lithiums (123s). Those are the most commonly used batteries here, AAAs are not very common at all.

Why don't you ask him what kind they have and if there is a certain one that is preferred................save us guessing........ ;)
hammAR

Postby gman1868 on Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:39 pm

Ask the WatchMaker 8-)
Living the Armed Lifestyle
gman1868

Postby Pinnacle on Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:18 pm

Energizer makes a unit that is like $12 at wal mart.

It does run on AAA's - but here is the thing - batteries last like forever. You can send extra batteries with the units.

CR123's are great - but are also hard to get forward (we are asked to send them over all the time) not to mention you can buy 6 AAA's for the cost of one CR123.

I have had the aforementioned unit for 6 years and it works well and offers plenty of useable light. I bring mine hunting with me and it always works well.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby hammAR on Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:29 pm

Pinnacle wrote:Energizer makes a unit that is like $12 at wal mart.

It does run on AAA's - but here is the thing - batteries last like forever. You can send extra batteries with the units.

CR123's are great - but are also hard to get forward (we are asked to send them over all the time) not to mention you can buy 6 AAA's for the cost of one CR123.

I have had the aforementioned unit for 6 years and it works well and offers plenty of useable light. I bring mine hunting with me and it always works well.

You are right on with the Energizer unit, being a Corpshead I assumed that it was going to be used incountry for more than latrine breaks......what kind of Scotch do you drink, I will buy you one................. :lol:
hammAR

Next

Return to Accessories