New target camera system

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

New target camera system

Postby Scratch on Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:42 am

So for about two years now, I've started getting into long range precision shooting. I say long range, but I haven't shot past 300 yards yet. Still... My eyes are getting bad enough that all I see is a blur at 50 yards. I've tried some spotting scopes, a couple cheap ones and even one nice Vortex, but they still don't give me a nice clear view of my target. I'm not wanting to see mirage yet, or need hold offs or mils... I just wanna see where I'm impacting the target.

I was really interested in those Bullseye target systems, or some sort of target camera system, then I got into multirotors, (which I'm sure some of you have already seen my thread on that) Well I thought that if I went FPV (First Person View) with the multirotor, I could possibly use the same system as a target camera. I already have most of the components for a target camera system so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I decided to go with the Boscam 5.8 gHz video RX/TX sytstem from Hobbyking. It was like 58 bucks.
image.jpg

Then I decided to get some circular polarized antennas for it. I may not need these for a target camera system, but decided on using them for the multirotor so I ordered them anyways. They were only like 12 bucks I think. I think the total for the camera and antennas shipped was 72 bucks.
image.jpg

I also found a 9" LCD screen on eBay for around 20.00 shipped. It's one of those "strap on the back of the headrest" monitors for car DVD players.

Now being in the security system field as I was, I come across old cameras and 12 volt batteries quite often, so with a couple batteries, some quick wiring, a CCTV camera and some rubber bands and tape, I came up with this.
image.jpg

image.jpg

I know it looks kind of ghetto right now, but I just wanted to check the range of it and see if it would work for a target camera system. With the warm weather we've had these past few days, I was able to take it outside and test it out. This frequency is really only good for line of sight stuff and the furthest I could get on my property line of sight was 410 yards. Which it worked awesome for! the image was the same at 410 yards as it was at 5 yards. I'm very happy!

I think the total cost with shipping, I have into this project is like 98 bucks. I'll probably make some sort of case for it also, and it's easy to pull the transmitter off and still put on my multirotor which has another camera and smaller battery pack.

With the camera on there now, I can only see bullet holes on the target, if the camera is about 2 feet away. I ordered a new lens off eBay for like 4 bucks and with that, I should be able to get some better distance from the target... Not that I'm worried about shooting the camera.... But some one else might use it right? I'm too good of a shot for that...........
Last edited by Scratch on Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Re: New target camera system

Postby Stugotz on Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:33 pm

FOr that kind of money, I might give this a try as well! ;)
Speed is Fine, Accuracy is final....but accurate hits at extremely high speed is final much faster.
I don't think you understand, these boys killed my dog!
Taking the gun off safe increases the velocity by 100%
Stugotz

Postby LarryFlew on Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:02 pm

so it waz too difficult to park the quad near the target ImageImage
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Scratch on Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:21 pm

LarryFlew wrote:so it waz too difficult to park the quad near the target ImageImage

I'm not that good of a pilot yet... :lol:
Scratch

Postby yuppiejr on Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:55 pm

Stugotz wrote:FOr that kind of money, I might give this a try as well! ;)

You still need to provide a camera & 2 batteries, depending on where you shop probably going to run $60-$100 in addition to the components listed.

Love the setup, the fact that it has tested and worked @ 400+ yards is impressive - nicely done Scratch.
yuppiejr

Postby Scratch on Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:38 pm

If you have a video camera you could use that for the camera, which would save one battery too since it has its own power source. Walmart sells those same batteries for about 15.00 each, which you'd only need one now. You could probably power the video TX from that battery too.

I used an old Sony handycam at first, but it kept shutting off after a while, I couldn't find a setting for auto shut off either. It was nice since it had its own battery, the zoom was great so I could keep well away from the target.

If I could find that auto shut off setting, that might be a better option, although my video camera was on the larger side...
Scratch

Postby OldmanFCSA on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:58 am

Please test at 1200 yards and at 1 mile.

Then I may be interested in several systems.
OldmanFCSA

Postby LarryFlew on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:07 am

Scratch wrote:
LarryFlew wrote:so it waz too difficult to park the quad near the target ImageImage

I'm not that good of a pilot yet... :lol:

Was thinking of physically parking it but thanks for the idea of just flying it in.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Scratch on Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:43 pm

My 4 dollar 16mm lens came in today and it works great! I can set the target up about 4' away and about 30" off the line of fire, and the target fills the whole screen. I also made a quick sunshade for it out of cardboard to keep with the ghetto theme.

Here's a pic of my hallway.... Oh, and the camera setup again...

image.jpg
Scratch

Postby yuppiejr on Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:17 am

Zombie thread!

I saw this new product from Caldwell and it reminded me of this thread long ago, looks like some of the "pie in the sky" ideas people were looking for back when we had this conversation are finally coming to market at an affordable ($500) pricepoint:

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2016/02/07/ca ... show-2016/

Kit includes:

HD 720p Camera with night vision
Positionable spring loaded camera clamp
Long Range transmitter w/ rechargeable battery
Smart Charger for LI-ION Battery can be used as power supply
Long Range Receiver with rechargeable battery
2x heavy duty Router stands
2x stake anchors
Storage case
Manufacturer’s Specs:

Streams live HD video up to 1 mile away

Fully contained waterproof housings
Breaks down into a compact storage case for easy transport
High Definition camera in 720p with night vision
Integrated rechargeable lithium Ion batteries for extended use
Features an external power jack for more-permanent installation
Compatible with Android, iPhone, and most tablets
Free full-featured App allows you to save pictures, add notes, Calculate group size, save info, and Record video
Item: 156726
MSRP: $499.99
yuppiejr

Postby Scratch on Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:29 am

Wow, that looks promising! It's nice to see that technology is improving and more options are coming out. I haven't seen this one yet so thanks for posting.
Scratch

Postby Ghost on Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:31 am

Or you could put one of these on a tripod and do the same thing for same price. I see range from a YouTube test is about 1900 meters. Battery probably lasts a long time when not flying.

Ghost

Postby Scratch on Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:56 am

Ghost wrote:Or you could put one of these on a tripod and do the same thing for same price. I see range from a YouTube test is about 1900 meters. Battery probably lasts a long time when not flying.

]

I've already tried this... The camera has no magnification at all and needs to be so close and in line with the target to see anything, that it could be easily hit. I'm looking into adding a magnified lens onto mine...

It does have the range and battery life though.
Scratch

Postby Ghost on Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:42 pm

Scratch wrote:
Ghost wrote:Or you could put one of these on a tripod and do the same thing for same price. I see range from a YouTube test is about 1900 meters. Battery probably lasts a long time when not flying.

]

I've already tried this... The camera has no magnification at all and needs to be so close and in line with the target to see anything, that it could be easily hit. I'm looking into adding a magnified lens onto mine...

It does have the range and battery life though.

You have the advanced, maybe you need the HDMI port for the controller and can HDMI the video feed to a laptop then zoom in on the picture. Would work better if you had the 4k for the zoom though.

3X phantom magnification $50
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=SAKDO3X52&ref=PLA&omid=103&utm_source=GooglePLA&utm_medium=CSE&utm_item=SAKDO3X52&CAWELAID=1503879076&catargetid=230005120000537794&cadevice=c&gclid=CjwKEAiAuea1BRCbn-2n7PbLgEMSJAABQvTT0IAiNiO2dLgiHg8v7EBp5aUNjveX3zZ11ricMePbuxoCUQ_w_wcB
Ghost

Postby Scratch on Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:00 pm

Ghost wrote:You have the advanced, maybe you need the HDMI port for the controller and can HDMI the video feed to a laptop then zoom in on the picture. Would work better if you had the 4k for the zoom though.

3X phantom magnification $50
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=SAKDO3X52&ref=PLA&omid=103&utm_source=GooglePLA&utm_medium=CSE&utm_item=SAKDO3X52&CAWELAID=1503879076&catargetid=230005120000537794&cadevice=c&gclid=CjwKEAiAuea1BRCbn-2n7PbLgEMSJAABQvTT0IAiNiO2dLgiHg8v7EBp5aUNjveX3zZ11ricMePbuxoCUQ_w_wcB

That sounds like the shooting bench is getting crowded...

I'd love to find something like that 3x lens for my P3A, but it looks like it's the wrong size and my lens isn't threaded anyways. It might be possible to adapt something to fit though... Wonder if I could find one of these in town and see if it would work...?
Scratch

Next

Return to Accessories