Pistol sights

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Pistol sights

Postby Scratch on Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:31 pm

Looking for some new sights for my G17. Yes I'm still using those crappy plastic ones...

I had some Cabela's points and was trying to use them up so I bought about the only set they had which were TruGlo's.

They're the kind with the tritium and fiber optic. This is my carry gun, but I'm not so concerned about having night sights. I do like the fiber optic and these have a bonus with the tritium in there too, but I have two concerns...

1. The front sight is like almost an inch long. I realize that it needs to be long to let the light into the tube, but I'm concerned that the sight will twist over time. Me no likey that. If there was a dovetail on the front, it'd be fine I'm sure.

2. I'm not a fan of TruGlo stuff... I feel they are a lower quality line of products and would rather buy something better.

I'll probably return these, unless someone I hear some great reviews about them. I'm mainly concerned with that whole front sight twisting thing.

Anyone else have any suggestions for a fiber optic sight with a different design that won't turn, or something?
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Re: Pistol sights

Postby unit44justin on Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:45 pm

I haven't had the TruGlo TFO's but I've heard mixed stuff about them and about the fiber optic eventually falling out. I really like my Trijicon HD's Image
unit44justin

Pistol sights

Postby jshuberg on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:37 pm

The TFO fiber is very prone to falling out. And when it does, you need to send it in for replacement.

I'd recommend a Dawson Precision fiber optic front sight. You can order them in a variety of widths and heights to meet your usage and POI requirements.

What you can do is shoot from a rest with your current front sight at 25 yards, and measure the center of your group vertically from where you want it. Then measure the height of your current sight with a caliper, and with some quick math (the formula is on their site) you'll know the exact height you want.

They also make tritium sights using Trijicon vials. I'm running DP sights on all of my pistols at the moment.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Scratch on Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:31 pm

01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Pistol sights

Postby jshuberg on Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:10 pm

I wouldn't recommend fibers in the rear sights. They add visual clutter, and give your mind more than one point it can latch onto to track through recoil. Also, to achieve a precise alignment, you need to ignore the rear dots and instead shift your observation to the light bars. When they're illuminated, they're difficult to ignore, and it takes significantly more mental focus to maintain a precise sight picture.

The main point of an illuminated front sight is to provide a single point of brightness that the mind can more easily track through recoil, or when establishing a flash sight picture from the draw. Any other illumination, patterns or geometry works against this effect by cluttering the sight picture.

Night sights with tritium vials are an exception to this, as their purpose is to provide a means to aim when the sights and light bars aren't visible. On my carry guns, I use a rear sight with very small tritium vials, with no rings around them. In daylight, they blend into the sight and can be very easily ignored. The front sight has a larger tritium vial with a ring around it to help grab the minds attention. The effect is that during daylight I have a simplified sight picture, but in low/no light I have an illuminated 3 dot pattern.

The TrueGlow TFO sights are a good idea, but the implementation is lacking as they have a tendency to fail easily. I would run one as a front sight if they ever got their quality issues worked out, but I would still run a serrated or flat black rear sight on my range guns, and a rear sight with the small tritium vials on my carry guns.
NRA Life Member
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Jackpine Savage on Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:25 pm

Another option is by Warren Tactical: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/692967/warren-tactical-sight-set-glock-17-19-22-23-24-34-35-sevigny-competition-rear-fiber-optic-front-steel-matte

I have these on my 34 and like them. I agree with jshuberg about having an uncluttered rear sight.
Jackpine Savage

Pistol sights

Postby jshuberg on Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:35 pm

Those are also very nice sights. One thing that the Dawson and Warren have is that in addition to the fiber, the front face of the sight is serrated.

A serrated front sight helps sharpen your optical focus exactly on the front sight. If you can see the serrations clearly, your focus is exactly on the front sight. Without serrations, the eyes tend to get sloppy with their focal point, which has the effect of reducing your potential accuracy because you won't clearly see a very small misalignments. The serrations train the eyes to the desired focal point, and allow you to see misalignments you otherwise might not notice.

I've done a lot of research and a lot of trial and error when it comes to different sights. You have to consider both the physical aspects of the sight, but just as important is how the mind perceives your sights, and the psychology of the sight picture they present to you.

During rapid fire you may only have a good sight picture for 0.1 seconds before it lifts again for the next shot. The psychology of how your mind tracks the sight, and what visually helps or hurts your ability to track it is critical to being a fast and accurate shooter.
NRA Life Member
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Jackpine Savage on Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:33 am

Another thing to consider is the width of the front sight. A narrower front sight lets you see more of the target and IMO is faster to center than a front sight that fills the rear sight notch.
Jackpine Savage

Postby Eleanor08 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:51 am

I have HiViz front tubes on both my Springfield RO, and my GP100. I like them.
Eleanor08

Pistol sights

Postby LumberZach on Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:39 am

unit44justin wrote:I haven't had the TruGlo TFO's but I've heard mixed stuff about them and about the fiber optic eventually falling out. I really like my Trijicon HD's Image

+1 on the HD's. Love mine.
LumberZach

Postby viper8u2 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:12 pm

I have them on my g26, I have the mepro night sights on my g17 and it they are bright but wanted to try something different. I have the green front and yellow rears and I like them.

It is pretty tough trying to get a picture with a cell phone but here are a few pics

I like these more than the mepro, it's easier to get on target for me

Mike
viper8u2

Postby Series 70 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:07 pm

I've had TruGlo TFOs on my M&P .45 for about 9 months. I have the green front and yellow rear; the contrast makes it very easy to focus on the front sight in those very low-light conditions when it's actually difficult to see. Now, if it's that dark, you should be using a flashlight and the outline of the sights will be very crisp anyway.

I've put close to 1000 rounds though the gun with the TFOs on and everything seems still quite snug. I have a number of contacts that have fired substantially more rounds through their TFOs equipped pistols. No reports of failure from them.
Series 70

Postby Straightshooter on Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:48 pm

Anybody have feed back on XS sights. Might be an option?
Straightshooter

Postby LumberZach on Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:41 pm

Straightshooter wrote:Anybody have feed back on XS sights. Might be an option?

As soon as I get some spare money I will be putting some on my glock 26. I don't know that they are the best option for the 17 though. Everyone loves the XS but they aren't conducive to accurate shooting.
LumberZach

Postby gman1868 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:13 pm

XS Big Dot sights have night sights and they work pretty good :)

Living the Armed Lifestyle
gman1868

Return to Accessories