Custom Holsters

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Custom Holsters

Postby LumberZach on Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:56 pm

Hey all,

I am getting the ball started on ordering a Kydex holster for my 1911, and I am wondering if I should get one that fits suppressor sights and a threaded barrel. More than that, I am wondering if anyone knows of any ill experience with such a set up on a regular 1911. I have been looking at most of these companies and they add those features to the holsters for very little extra money and then you can fit even more guns in the holster should you ever come across one that needs carrying. My biggest reservation is that additional grime might get in the added space and maybe cause more wear. I am just starting to see what you guys have to say.

Thanks.
LumberZach

Re: Custom Holsters

Postby UnaStamus on Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:03 am

I have yet to find a holster that does not put wear on a gun. Glock made a lot of claims about the strength and durability of the Tenifer coating on their slides, and now on the newer nitride finish. I've still seen both slides display wear from leather, kydex and suede-lined holsters. The same goes with every other gun I've ever seen worn by fellow cops. I think the idea should be to find the best option that will give you the most secure fit.

Many holsters can accommodate guns of the same style in different sizes to some degree (i.e. Glock or M&P). That happens as a matter of coincidence more than anything. I tend to prefer holsters made for one specific gun for the best fit. I have separate holsters for every gun I own.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Custom Holsters

Postby Spinner on Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:14 pm

Does holster rub affect accuracy and reliability? If not, non-issue. These are tools. I don't worry if my cordless drill gets scratched. Just sayin...

Spinner
Spinner

Postby andrewP on Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:04 am

I'm with these guys. Holster wear is inevitable if you actually carry/use the gun in question. I will say that the side of my P99c that touches the leather side of my holster does show significantly more wear than the side that touches the kydex, for whatever that's worth. I'm certainly not worried/wound up about the wear, though. I think it gives the gun a bit of character. :)
andrewP

Postby cobb on Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:59 pm

When I look at a firearm to buy, jimmied screws, rusted surfaces, things that show lack of care or idiots doing idiot things to their guns are a concern to me. But wear from a holster or edges with bluing worn off from every day use I call character. A firearm is a tool that is used and will show normal wear and for me not a concern as much as improper maintenance.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby LumberZach on Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:49 am

I am not terribly concerned about a reasonably worn finish. Although this is one of my nicer pistols, I am more wondering if there is any reason not to get a few add on's for the holster and if anyone has seen any problems with them. Having them make the holster for taller suppressor sights and a threaded barrel does increase the room in the holster a little, but not enough that it should affect fit too much.
LumberZach

Postby andrewP on Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:40 am

LumberZach wrote:taller suppressor sights and a threaded barrel

Buying suppressor sights and a threaded barrel in MN shows a lot of optimism about future legislation. I guess if you're willing to invest money in something you may never have a need for as long as you stay in MN, then rock on. I don't think I'll be looking at doing anything like that until either the laws here change or I move to a different state.

Don't get me wrong; I'd love to be able to buy a suppressor, but I'm not exactly banking on it happening anytime soon. :)
andrewP

Return to Accessories